1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC knife recommendations

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Carcharodon carcharias, Apr 4, 2019.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah I am baffled by this suggestion too?
    He said he could go to $100 which opens this up to a lot of mainstream great knives with a better steel.

2. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

The Peak is a fantastic knife. Currently my favorite longer slicer.

Hagbard81 likes this.
  3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

I disagree. 8Cr13MoV has more issues with chipping, but holds a fine edge for about twice as long as AUS-8, which will as well roll earlier.
    But in the field that’s just a theory.
    That said, you are right that at least it doesn’t have a real life advantage over AUS 8. Maybe I was too focused on “budget” which was not a good idea. So the other recommendations have been way better.

But, depending on how much “outside US tax” they add, the PM2 is in reach. Amazon US sells them for a little below 135 USD. Still worth considering that @OP would get one of the best EDC knifes on the market. Buy once, cry once.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

#23 ThaMac, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Had one and was happy to sell it. The idea of the hollow plastic handle still makes me shiver. But maybe they changed that meanwhile.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Excellent that is just one more for me then!

6. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

Get the RAT in D2.

AUS-8 (a fine steel considering cost, ease of sharpening, and ability to take a nice edge) might leave something (edge retention) to be desired. But D2 is a fine steel, full stop. You can get knives with S30V or S35VN for sub-$100, but that steel doesn’t get you much more than D2. The difference between those steels, to me, matters much less than other factors, like blade profile, edge geometry, visual appeal, build quality, lock-up, deployment, ergonomics, cost - all of which the RAT has in spades.

The only knocks against the RAT: G10 is slick (ergonomics makes up for that), D2 isn’t corrosion-proof (though it’s corrosion resistant enough for most applications), the 1 is big for an EDC (so get the 2 or 3 if you want), black paint comes off easily (it comes in satin), clip is not deep carry (but gives you something to grab), point is not center-lined (but is plenty pokey). Those are all small quibbles.

It’s excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose likes this.
  7. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

Another real inexpensive budget blade would be one of the Dozier Hunter folders. I like them for the work environment, because it's not the end if the world if it gets lost, etc.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

poe47 and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@this_is_nascar: +1!

These unappreciated value knives from KaBar can't be beat for value. Hardly recognized by most, made with really no parts inside -- not even washers at the pivot; the molded surfaces of the handle serve that purpose. One version - which is what I went with - has their version of the Spydie hole concept. Which means nothing protruding to get hung up inside a pocket. Less than $20 at places like BHQ for a blade of AUS 8A. What's not to love? :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Just cutting boxes? Get a boxcutter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

If you like the Rat I and II, the ESEE Zancudo and Avispa are similar knives that are also available in both AUS-8 and D2. They are framelocks though instead of liner locks if that matters to you. Another popular knife that is now being made in D2 is the Kershaw Cryo.

If you can deal with FRN scales, Spyderco has plenty of decent knives with VG-10 steel in the $50-$100 range; Dragonfly, Delica, Endura, Manix, Native. The thing Spyderco is really good at is ergonomics. Their knives are amazingly comfortable and grippy.

Honestly, maybe I just don't use my knives that hard, but I rarely have to sharpen them, even the ones with AUS-8 or CR13MOV steel. I have an AUS-8 zancudo and it does a marvelous job on cardboard and I only have to sharpen it every once in a while.

I don't own any, but Steel Will and Kizer are two brands that are starting to become popular. Steel will seems to mostly use D2 and FRN scales while Kizer has knives with VG-10 and G-10 handles. Another new brand is Civivi, which is WE knives' budget brand.

If you like Buck knives, they are now making versions of the 110 and 112 with micarta handles and CPM S30V steel for around $90.

Knife informer has an interesting article about the different types of knife steels.

#30 Water-Rat, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  11. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

From a composition standpoint they are similar to the point of there not being a functional difference in their RL performance. 440B falls into the same comparison.

Edge geometry and heat treat will play much larger roles in performance.

12. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Chaparral 2.8", CTS-XHP bladesteel, Gray FRN Handles 89$

Thin blade, quite the slizer

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

garza, BLJace and That Movie Guy like this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Agreed. But if OP is doing box cutting all day in a warehouse environment I think I'd go in two possible other directions whilst staying with Spyderco. Either the Manix 2, which is pretty beefy but gets a lot of favorable comment for ergonomics especially in this kind of work, OR if he wants to stay on budget more, a Spyderco Tenacious -- still gets the good ergos, retails in a $50 range, and also has been favorably commented on for this kind of work in these forums.

My only issue with the Chaparral besides price is it is sorta small in hand for use all day doing this. At least for me it would be! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

14. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Agree on the manix 2. Sturdier, larger than the Chapparal and less of a genleman ;-)

Costs 114$ for s30v version in g10.

However... if you want beefy... you get the Cold Steel 27 Recon 1 with a backlock and S35VN Black DLC, Black G10 with a choice of spear point, clip point or tanto for 106$. Do not know how well it slices an apple tho...:giggle:

15. Moshe ben David

I can believe what you say about the Recon 1. I have just a couple of Cold Steel knives; I'm more of a Spyderco guy... :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

16. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Yes, Spyderco is better for me as well. Love a full flat grind. Do not own a Cold Steel myself, too tactical. Edc the v-toku 2 version of the Dragonfly 2 atm

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

That Movie Guy likes this.
  17. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

The American Lawman in CTS-XHP is an excellent knife. Downsides for me a) its pretty beefy b) the lock is hard to disengage. This particular model is not tactical at all. It’s very civilian friendly.

Meanwhile there is a version in S35VN for about 85 USD. If you can live with the stiffness, you got yourself a great knife. It’s extremely durable and the lock is said to be one of the strongest in the game.

18. Moshe ben David

A few of the Cold Steel products are less tactical and may even be said to be non-tactical. The Tuff-LIte knives and the Mini Tuff Lite knives for example are really useful working Wharncliffe knives; I have the Tuff-Lite in both PE and SE and have gifted the same to friends who are in the building trades for example. The Micro-Recon knives come in both drop point and tanto; although they look sorta tactical these are small and basically keychain knives. I have one of each. Interesting enough all of these I mentioned do have the Cold Steel tri-axial lock...! Finally, there is the Cold Steel Lucky; a two bladed slip joint built as a 'moose pattern' with one PE and one SE blade. This one is on my list of 'someday' knives.

I agree with what @ThaMac has written about The American Lawman. It gets good reviews from many and is said to be a great working knife. I've held back because I've tried a few of the larger Cold Steel products (including one I actually bought and returned...) but ultimately with the larger ones had to decline because that lock is so strong it is just too much effort IMNSHO to disengage easily. The smaller knives I mention that I have lock up solid but don't give me trouble disengaging.

L'chaim y'all!

Moshe ben David

19. BLJace

BLJace Loaded Pockets

I have to second the Manix 2. I work in a warehouse and do cut boxes all day long sometimes. I carry the s110v model, however the comfort in hand and flat grind are what make it the workhorse it is.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

Even though I rarely carry my AL anymore (I can't stand lock-back knives and the Triad-lock is an even more annoying back-lock) it has smoothed out considerably and with a flick of the wrist it does open and closes fairly easily with one hand.

My problem with it is it's too darned wide in the pocket and I really see no use (for ME only) for a front finger choil. Too much wasted space and the cutting edge is over an inch away from my normal handle position. Probably why I rarely carry my PM2. Interestingly, I have no issues with the Para 3, even though, for the most part, it is the same as the PM 2.
    Go figure.