1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Knife As Eating Utensil?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Dafabricata, May 2, 2011.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Of course. But I don't try and cut the plate.

2. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I just take care not to scrape the edge on the plate when using it to cut a steak or other food, and if I do it only takes a few seconds on a strop to fix.

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I guess this is a skill I never learned. I always seem to touch the edge to the plate, and in the case of the sharp edges I like to keep, that means that edge is gone. I do have a knife designed by the Crawfords to be suitable for eating at restaurants which has a wharncliffe to keep everything but the tip off the plate which works wonders, but I rarely carry it.

4. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

I don't carry a knife specifically for an eating utensil but if I happen to receive a dull steak knife, at least I know I can trust my Benchmade pr Spydie to do the job.

5. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I order steaks all the time and never found the provided knife to be lacking. Maybe the problem is with the meat you order, not the knife.

6. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I have a three stroke rule with restaurant steak knives. If it won't go through in three strokes, it gets set aside and out comes the CRKT M16-14Z. My wife and son have both been known to borrow it as well and I straighten up the edge when I get home. If we're going for crab with sufficient warning, I'll bring along my electricians scissors (which are supposed to be in my bag but somehow are always in my desk).

An alcohol pad from my wallet serves to clean up the blade if needed or if my wife is looking.

7. midnightreport

midnightreport Loaded Pockets

I regularly reach for my Kershaw Skyline when cutting up food in the kitchen (always wash the blade before and after, as it's also in my daily carry rotation). My roommate bought our kitchen knives (cheapies from IKEA) and they're pretty awful. Otherwise, I have been known to use my Vic Super Tinker to slice up food when nothing decent is available.

8. RedGladius

RedGladius Loaded Pockets

You're absolutely right! Many of the steak knives and bread knives provided in restaurants (I finally learned how to spell that! Restaurants! haha) just aren't sharp at all! I could try to stab my hand and it'd just glance off! :D I just break out whatever larger knife i'm carrying at the time (BM 710 or Cold Steel Rajah III usually) and go to town! Oh! I've also used my Kershaw Scallion for steak. WORKS BEAUTIFULLY!

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Hmm, missed this thread altogether.

Yah, me.

Used the Sebenza while I gave the Mini-Talonite to my lady friend while dining at McCormick and Schmick's two days ago.

10. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I used my alox pioneer last night at Texas land and cattle on a perfect 10oz sirloin, I even sliced the roll too.....those steak knives were ridiculous

11. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

No, I don't use EDC for restaurants.

However, a few years ago I bought the Spyderco kitchen knife because they were discontinuing it and I wanted to grab one before they were all gone. It's long and very, very sharp, typically Spyderco sharp. So sharp that I'm afraid to use it for most food prep! (It's bigger than I need for most tasks also).

Occasionally I bring it out and use it. For tough tasks I also use a carbon steel Chinese cleaver I bought a few years ago. It's heavy and will pretty much chop through everything.

12. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

i have no problem using my EDC knife to cut my food. It always does a better job than any steak knife i have ever used. my favorite thing is when me and my buddies go camping in Maine we prepare most of out meals with Kabar fighting knives and other EDC/ camping knives.

13. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

i have a kershaw chill that i carry just for food tasks it lives in my EDC bag.

14. BrownMajik

BrownMajik Empty Pockets

Ive done it before and ive done it again. Pocket lint is only a choking hazard for infants.

15. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

I don't like to use my folders as food knives because of 'stuff' getting in the hinge. Plus, I'm not so sure about ingesting, even the smallest amount, of the oils I use on the blades/hinge. Although, I don't have any fixed blades. lol.

Another Although, I bought an Orange Opinel for this very purpose. I don't oil it, and it's non-threatening enough for use in virtually any restaurant/environment. The orange handle helps ensure that I don't forget it on the plate when the server clears the table. Even if I forget, they usually see it and say something about it not being one of their knives.

Do I use my EDC blades for food? Not usually.
    Do I near-EDC my 'foodie folder', Yes.

Also, I've seen some 'folding steak knives' in a few catalogs and been somewhat interested, but not for the cost of a five star dinner for two!

Good thread.

16. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking of getting an Opinel for just this reason. Seems like it'd be the perfect knife for the purpose. Too bad Williams-Sonoma doesn't have them anymore, or I'd just go get one.

17. srm450v2

srm450v2 Empty Pockets

I've used mine for steak before. At barbecues where the silverware is plastic, it's nice to have a good knife.

18. invisiblejules

invisiblejules Loaded Pockets

I understand it as a solution when unexpectedly dealing with plastic utensils, but I've never had a problem with a knife provided in a restaurant. Even so, if the knife they give you is bad, why not just ask for another knife?

19. Dasein420

Dasein420 Empty Pockets

I used my Esee Izula II for steak on a camping trip just last weekend. I like the knife for edc food preparation.

20. Kueh

Kueh Loaded Pockets

I have been using a personal knife at restaurants for a few years. I used a small fixed blade at first, eventually using an edc knife.

On a personal note, what is the point in carrying a knife if you're afraid of dulling it from use?