1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Knife As Eating Utensil?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Dafabricata, May 2, 2011.

1. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Anyone else use their EDC knife as an eating utensil?

With my current living situation I tend to eat out more than I'd like and very rarely is the knife supplied with my meal sharp enough to cut through say...bacon!...even bread!
    The restaurant knifes more or less attempt to push their way through what I'm trying to cut.

This "knife problem" has always been obvious and I'm sure they're purposely dull to avoid people cutting themselves resulting in lawsuits.

Ever since I started EDCing a Knife, I use it as a eating utensil.
    Never have I had a strange look from others (that I've noticed) and my food gets cuts so easily.
    I'm always desrete when pulling the knife out to use and when opening it. No flicking or sudden hand movements.
    Even if I did get a strange look...tough titty! Get over it! LOL!
    My family and friends actually say "great idea" and often get a laugh out of seeing it!

BTW, my EDC knife is a Syderco Khukuri, so it already doesn't even look threatening.

On a side note I also always have a Brunton Ti Spork with me. The local Thia food restuarant won't even bring silverware anymore since they know I have my own tools...LOL!!

So....who else does this?

2. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I've done this on occassion, mostly just for an excuse to use a nice knife rather than the cheapo steak knives that are usually available. I usually only do it at home, though, and I wash the blade before and after use.

3. Dafabricata

Forgot to add...Coca-Cola cleans EVERYTHING off a blade better than anything else I've used!...Even rubbing alcohol and brake cleaner!!
    I always save a few drops to clean my blade at the end of the meal!

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I always carry two blades; One in my pocket that's thick and strong for general lurking about and a super nice and clean one in my bag in a sleeve, a super sharp super thin blade just for cutting food from a simple apple to indeed steak at restaurants. I think that using a single blade for both purposes is not only bad hygiene but also impossible from a blade-type of view. A thin blade will not survive my general edc knife tasks and a thick blade will never cut my apples properly...... hence; two knives!

5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've been known to use my EDC knife as a cooking/eating implement on occasion, but it's never something I plan on; especially since I don't know what I might have been using that knife for earlier.

If it were going to become a regular event, I'd carry a specific knife for that purpose.

-Trevor

6. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Every time I use my pocket knife for food, which is as often as it's the best tool for the job, the only thing I consistently do is wipe the blade on my pants first to make sure it's clean enough (who knows what it's been used for last, or how long since it's been cleaned?).

7. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Loaded Pockets

Hehe, I did that a while ago. A colleague and I were staying late at the office to watch some election results. We were having some pizza, but wouldn't ya know it... it wasn't sliced. So out comes:

[​IMG]

... this handy bugger, a Boker CLB Direkt. Sliced through the pizza just fine. You do have to be careful that you don't end up cutting through the box and into the table though; I keep my knives SHARP!

I've used it to cut some bread products and assorted other food items.

I wouldn't use it in a fine restaurant because of the tactical look. But you can get some pocket knives that are 'restaurant appropriate' like the Forge de Laguiole brand.

8. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

Thats what I use the blade on my Vic cadet alox for, its normally enough blade for the job....

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

My Grandpa swore by Coca Cola for cleaning bugs off of windshields and getting pine sap off of cars (they used to spread it on gravel roads to keep dust down).
    It makes me wonder whether I should be drinking it...

10. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I thought you meant actually putting food in you mouth WITH the knife! I use my knife if needed and a "Light My Fire" spork on the street but I do recall watching my son cutting a steak in a restaurant with his Strider SnG.

11. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I use mine for food prep when I'm out on the road. Helps with making my sandwiches in the morning. I clean it before and after use. I've never pulled it out at the table before though. :)

12. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I don't. A great way to dull your knife is to try cutting ceramic plates.

But when not at restaurants I have cut sandwiches, pizza, and fruits.

13. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Why would you try to cut a plate? Better have a good dentist on hand if you intend to eat it. A dull knife would be the least of your worries.

14. DallasSTB

DallasSTB Loaded Pockets

A big yes for me. Why carry it if you don't use it? Do you really like the way a restaurant steak knife hacks at your food? o enjoy feeling the frustration trying to cut a bagel in two with one of those dinky plastic knives? Keep it clean, keep it sharp, and use it!

15. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I remember when I took "bachelor survival" (Home Economics for guys), the teacher threw a nutter, because I used my EDC (at the time) SAK for food prep. It was sharper than the school issued cutlery. She got over it, though.

I guess in this day and age, I would probably get suspended, or expelled for a stunt like that. Back then, it was almost a requirement for a guy to have a knife of some sort or other.

I have been known to use my own utensils (chopssticks, LMF Ti spork, and/or Buck 110) when eating out.

Actually, a few hundred years ago, you were pretty much expected to have your own eating utensils when traveling.

16. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

When you go to a restaurant, what do they serve you your thick, juicy steak on? Ceramic?

17. Atlas

Atlas Loaded Pockets

i use my main edc to eat, i make sure i slice on paper plates though

18. Dafabricata

I guess I'm just a bit more careful than most when cutting.
    My knife has never been dulled from hitting a plate.
    Since its sharp, I dont NEED to force it down hard...just slowly cut through my food and when it touches the plate I ease up.

19. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I use my Spyderco's a lot in the Kitchen for food prep but not as a eating utensil. ok i will snag a peice of cheese or meat now and then with my knife if that counts. You wont see me using my endura to cut my steak when I'm out eating with my wife anyway.

20. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

I use my Benchmade mini-grip or my Sog Twitch 2 when slicing in the kitchen on a wood cutting board.

My edc knives are my best kitchen knives.