1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Insulin Pens and Needles

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Kripto, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Greetings!

It's been a VERY long time since I posted here, hope everyone is doing well. I certainly have missed this forum. :)

I was diagnosed with Diabetes a few years ago and it threw me into a major funk. So I haven't been as active on many of the forums I once was.

These days, I have to carry insulin pens, needles, needle storage (used and unused), CGM etc.. Im wondering if there are others who carry this stuff regularly and what have you found to be a good solution. Im really into Tom Bihn bags and have LOTS of bags and pouches, but nothing is "perfect" :)

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well!

2. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

Although I am not diabetic I can relate to needing to carry extra medical related stuff. If you want a nice handy bag that's not too big and not tactical check out NutSac bags and their MBD. I have one as my EDC and it's great for carrying just the necessitys. Oh and dont worry if you dont want that logo saying "NutSac" you can get it left off as I did.

https://nutsacbags.com/products/man-bag-dammit[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Ha, that is awesome! Now you have me looking at all of the bags on their site. :) I love that you can get the logo w/o the word.. :)

4. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

Yeah they added that after a bunch of comments about how the word is not so great when around people who cant take a joke or if you want to use the bag for work/professional use. All their bags are top notch, you cant go wrong with them and they have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

Hubby is diabetic and doesn't like carrying a lot of stuff but he does have one of the Pacsafe Metrosafe LS100 Anti-Theft Cross Body Bag which fits the little zip up case with two insulin pens (fast & slow release), an M&M's tube full of jellybeans, small decor container with clip on lid full of new needles and blood test kit (plus replacement consumables). The bag easily fits other stuff too but like battery pack and tissues etc. I also have a little kit in my bag with sugar (tube of icing & mini container of jellybeans), small coin pouch with spare needles and a glucose injection kit.

Kripto likes this.
  6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Im really interested in the storage of new needles and used needles.. Since I inject (when Im being good) 5-8 times a day, that is a lot of space in needles.. My kit is currently contained in a tom bihn pouch but within that pouch there is no real good way to keep the needles in check. Unfortunately, my company does not have a sharps container so what I bring must come out with me.

7. ca survivor

ca survivor Loaded Pockets

I carry it in a bag about 7" X 2" X 1.5" I had a smaller one made of leather but it broke, I'm fortunate that I can give the bag and reading glasses to my wife to carry though. My insulin dependency is from Pancreatic cancer that I'm still surviving, so not much complain about the shots from me LOL.

Kripto likes this.
  8. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

My daughter (9 years old) got diabetes type 1 approx. half a year ago. We are no pros yet.
    She is using a bag from mysugarcase. There are different inlays available. Example.
    Two small pouches, one for new, one for used needles. The pouch for the used needles is fixed with velcro so you can easy remove and empty it without losing all the other stuff in the bag. Her FreeStyle Libre fits in the bag, 2-3 pens and there is place for a cool-pack. Additional her diabetes diary and some glucose.
    She took the pink kids case but there are a lot of different colors available. Take a lock.
    Often she carries it in her school backpack or I carry it in my EDC pack for her when we are on tour.

Treya likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Kripto: I'm also diabetic, but I fortunately do not need to inject insulin at this point.

Depending on the bag you carry, and the length of your needles, two thoughts come to mind.

(1) You may find your pharmacy has a length and diameter of pill vials (the ones meds are dispensed in) that would work, especially for storage of used needles. These are light weight. Could be free from the pharmacist. Plus generally have 'locking' tops which would be a safety thing for the sharps I would think.

(2) Then of course there is every edc'ers go-to: Altoids tins? On the plus side being mostly flat might be more useful. On negative side, needles rattling around I could see being noisy plus the lids don't lock of course.

Wishing you good health and well managed glucose levels!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Kripto likes this.
  10. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

That's really a nice case! Thanks for pointing me in that direction.. I hope they ship to the US.. :)

11. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I really like the idea of using the empty med bottles.. I've got tons of those here already. Unfortunately the edc'er go-to of Altoids tin doesn't really work, it's too small in this case.

L'Chiam! and good shabbos!

-Mark

12. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

You can buy small personal sharps containers like 150-250ml, not sure how long that would last you but if you just use it when out & about it might be worth it or get a larger one and keep it at work till its full and leave it in your drawer or locker if you have that sort of work environment. We really just use the decor clip lid (old version of this type thing, about half the size though https://www.decor.com.au/product/match-ups-clips-oblong-350ml/) for when he is not at home. If you aren't particularly worried about proper sharps containers you could probably use something similar, or again the M&Ms minis tubes if you dont use one for something else (remove labels too) so you don't mix up your needles with your sugar. The case that his insulin pen comes in also has a little zipper pouch inside he can drop used needles into and empty when he gets home. Otherwise even an old glasses case that you can zip or snap closed would probably work and offer some protection. Altoids tins. It would be a good idea to clearly label any containers and even add a strip of gorilla tape to keep the lids on anything not made for keeping sharps. Just keep in mind that any candy container you repurpose is a temptation for small children (and some adults) to want to open.

Kripto likes this.
  13. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

I use vials instead of pens and found that a "stash jar" (aluminum container the size of an old film cannister) works great to hold the vial surrounded by foam. A ranger band secures my day's syringes and off I go. Throw it in my bag anywhere and it's safely ensconced in aluminum. You could use one to store pen needles (used or otherwise) as well. You may get some sideways glances from some, but it works! [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

14. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

I have found that eyeglass cases were long enough for syringes. The type that snap shut. Also used a pelican wallet on trips.

Wesmanthetiger likes this.