1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Ink Color

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Cprrckwlf, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Just curious what the preferred EDC ink color is for everybody? Anyone using something other than blue or black?

I'm getting tired of my standard black (esp. in my Field Notes/ bullet list) and have been thinking of switching to something new, with the new pen I just picked up. Except I almost always use the same pen that sits with my EDC Field Notes to take my full out class notes and am not real sure I want those in anything colorful (though blue and black are sometimes nearly indistinguishable on the green tint engineering pads I use).

Normally use fisher cartridges which does limit my color options, but I like the burgundy I have from them and am willing to try most whatever parker style. I like the one Uni BLX tinted black ink pen I have floating around, but don't think those come as anything other than a disposable.

So is there anything out there I should be looking at?

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

I use brown, Higgins Sepia Calligraphy mostly, (what can I say, I'm cheap) --- really like J. Herbin Café des Iles (it has nicer shading), but can't justify it when I use about a bottle per year of the much larger, much less expensive ink. Miss Sheaffer's brown (which was what I grew up using), and their nifty "Skripwell" bottles (which I still have a fair number of). Similarly, I have some Noodler's Gallileo Manuscript Brown, which I'm hoarding for when I write my novel. I'm trying to justify switching over to Noodler's --- the Polar Bear Brown is arguably a reasonable investment since I have worried about ink freezing when riding in (I try to remember to roll up my shirt with its pens in the center of my clothing bundle)

The Skilcraft B3 aviator has red and black (of course), and I have black in my Fisher bullet Space Pen in a leather holder in my pocket.

3. mbick

mbick Loaded Pockets

I prefer blue-black. It's fairly easy to find such for fountain pen use which I am starting to get back to fiddling with, and you can find a few gel pens with it. As far as what goes in my pocket, I carry Fisher titanium bullet pens--one with blue, one with black. I know that this is an antiquated mindset, but when I sign my name to something, I want it to be in a color other than black.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

My space pen has a fine blue refill in it. It's the pen I use when I don't have another pen on me. Or when I'm signing something legally binding.

I typically have another pen on me that is either purple or green, although recently I've begun carrying red after making the observation that there are a lot of red pens in our house that nobody was using.

--flatline

5. Baron

Baron Empty Pockets

Whatever color you choose, please keep in mind that inks other than black or blue tend to fade. This is the reason government agencies like the FDA forbid the use of ink colors other than black or blue in handwritten documents or in signatures. I have seen red and green inks fade over a relatively short length of time.

mbick, ripjack13 and twin63 like this.
  6. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Last edited by WillAdams, Jan 29, 2017
    #6 WillAdams, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

My favorite edc fountain pen is a pocket size Pilot MU-90. I generally have it loaded with a Namiki purple cartridge. In my edc bag I also have a pouch with two Pilot VP. One is loaded with a red ink (I switch between Sheaffer Skrip Red and Diamine Oxblood); the other is usually loaded with either a blue or a blue-black.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Last edited by nolaradio, Dec 31, 2018
    #8 nolaradio, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    ripjack13 likes this.
  9. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

These are the four I currently use

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. GodWeTrust

GodWeTrust Empty Pockets

I EDC a Kaweco Sport, clear, with their purplish black. And typically have at least one more on me. I like Metropolitan MR with Pelikan black or Higgins black. I also commit sacrilege and use J Herbin Emerald de Chivor or Hematite, but without the gold flecks. All the loveliness without the clogging.

Moto Z Forced me to do this.

11. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I'm currently using Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses. It a nice reprieve from a black or blue variation.

calebklyne and WillAdams like this.
  12. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I'm old enough to still remember the days that you always signed your name in blue ink because all copiers colored in black so you could know which was an original. My edc pen always has some shade of blue and my fountain desk pen is full of Diamine ASA Blue.

Moshe ben David and WillAdams like this.
  13. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I love Higgins Fountain Pen India, but got out of the habit of using black for that reason.

One of the nice things about brown is not many people have brown ink, so my documents are always easily differentiated.

14. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I prefer black, but blue serves a purpose in business. Most copiers are monochrome and a signature or other markings in blue distinguish the original.

Don't know about the other colors, but red is notorious for fading.

WillAdams likes this.
  15. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Kaweco Royal Blue in a Dia2, rich and slightly purple; or Kaweco Pearl Black in a Waterman Perspective. These pens I carry daily. At work I have two Lamy Vista demonstrators, one with Lamy Turquoise and one with violet cartridges. Both for marking up documents. I transitioned from ball pen (still great for rapid notes ) through roller balls which I now loathe , to more considered journal scribing with a fountain pen.