1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

edc in Japan?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by bravo, Feb 14, 2008.

1. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

hi to all.
    this summer i'll probably go in Japan for 2 or 3 weeks.
    do you know if there's something wrong with carrying edc knives in japan and using two ways radios?
    neither Route66 nor TomTom gps navigator have Japan's maps, which other navigator has them (if you know)?

thnx for yours replys and regards!

2. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I know the kind of reputation Wikipedia has in academic circles, but a link there was the first thing to come up when I looked. Here's what I found:

Japan

With the exception of any type of switchblade, any knife with an overall length of 15 cm (about 5.9 in), with a blade length of no more than 6 cm, is legal to carry. Knives must be concealed and should not be easily available. The Japanese Guns and Knives Control Law forbids knives being used as defensive weapons, but is relatively tolerant toward knives which can be opened using a single hand. For example, any type of butterfly knife is legal.

With the exception of Japanese Katana, any other swords are regarded as offensive weapons. However, if they have artistic value, possession is legal as long as the sword is registered.

Violations of the law come with a sentence of up to one year in prison and a fine of ¥300,000 or about U.S. $2,600 or about U.K. £1,300.

Also, here's a link to a Japan-forum thread discussing knife law.

I guess Japan isn't as draconian about knives as I'd been lead to believe. Then again, that's just what the law says...the enforcement and interpretation thereof might be different, depending... :-X

3. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

thanks a lot! O0

regards

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

You're welcome, although the simple search I did will not give you nearly as much confidence as testimony from a frequent visitor to Japan or an actual Japanese citizen.

Also, laws may vary depending on which part of Japan you visit. Perhaps some prefectures have additional ordinances against cutting tools which are unknown to outsiders.

Hopefully someone with more experience will enlighten us both.

5. pu1869

pu1869 Empty Pockets

Bravo,
    Congratulation on your Japan trip, I have traveled there on business a few time and love it.
    As for Knives, I think that common sense is the best guideline.

I personally have carried everything from SAKs to a CRKT M-16 ( pretty tactical) while traveling in Japan and Asia.

The key is keep them tucked away from plain sight and if you need to use them, do not draw attention to yourself. ( Yeah I know Duh)

Multi-tools offer the best option because they keep the blade cover up and are pretty common to see out in the open.
    If you need to carry a standalone blade I would keep it small ( SAK and Gentlemen type knives).

Again these comments are based on my international travels and in now way are based on local laws and regulations. If you want to confirm for sure I would contact your regional Japaneses consulate or embassy.

Happy travels

6. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Bravo,

My wife is Japanese and I've been there several times. The info I have to offer is only anecdotal and not based on any actual, legal guidelines:

1. The laws and customs in Japan seem to be based on modesty, respect and courtesy. The antithesis of this would be the Yakuza (Japanese mafia) who wear sunglasses everywhere (even indoors and at night), openly brandish tattoos, and drive large American/Japanese made SUVs and Sports Utility trucks, ie..they WANT to be be identified.

2. That being said, an early post sums it up: common sense is the rule. I had a Gerber Multitool in a carry-on bag on Japan Air and they took it away and returned it to me later. They were very professional and respectful about it...ie, not hysterical. Although I felt like an idiot for forgetting about it.

3. I bought and carried a medium size diving knife when I went scuba diving on Iwojima (SP?) Island-no issues carrying it in a car, in public, or on the ferry to the island.

4. On every trip I've made, I've never seen anyone openly carrying or brandishing knives, with the exception of belt-worn multitools.

Bottomline: you shouldn't have any problems unless you start flipping around a butterfly knife, or decide to carry a Rambo-type blade. (Now firearms, that's a different story.)

Enjoy the trip!!

7. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

thanks to all.
    i hope i can go :D
    also here in Italy we have to be discrete in carrying edc knives... :-X
    i think i'll put my charge TTI in the backpack and carry a boker wharcom (i've to buy it) and a vic. manager in the pockets.

thnx and regards

8. gizzyeq

gizzyeq Empty Pockets

Yep good info above :)

I go to Jpn about twice a year for a few months all together(home away from home)...In general knife laws are VERY strict in Jpn...being that since handguns are pretty nonexistant, most crimes/violence are done by knives so.

With that said...aside from crazy big fixed blades or vicious looking folders, the people/citizens are not quite ":censored:". They are quite used to seeing knives in all forms so taking it out and using it for what you need to should never be a problem(please do use good judgment tho) ;)
    Obviously the countryside/non metropolitan areas are more forgiving towards carry of all kinds... such as sickles/kama which are considered weapons in other parts of the world....are just plain old farm instruments there

I personally wouldn't do it near cops...as a non-asian you WILL stand out and there will be more eyes on you so.
    Police there have the right to ask for ID, question you, take you to the police station for "further questioning", detain you for quite a while etc etc....so its best if you don't want ANY part of that mess! :shocked:

Anyway for reference sake tho...I've carried my Atwood booger and skeeter in its kydex sheath on my neck over my shirt while I was there, many many times. They don't quite scream "Knife" tho so... :laugh:
    And also I've had a boker subcom wharcom clipped into that tiny coin pocket of my jeans with no problems.

9. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

O0 it's my choice.
    now i've only to decide where to go.... :shrug:

regards

10. gizzyeq

gizzyeq Empty Pockets

Well tons of places to go/things to do just depends on what you want to do :laugh:
    Most cars there(if thats what you were asking for) come equipped with a navi as standard these days
    [​IMG]
    If its more of a handheld thing your asking about...well I'm not sure any of our domestic types are accurate enough for the ever under construction and changing Jpnese roads not to mention translating everything :shrug:

11. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

too many places too short time. i've 2 weeks to spend, i'm reading my lonely planet to plan something....

i don't know if i'll rent a car (i've to understand if it would be useful) at now i'm thinking about the free rail pass.

regards

12. gizzyeq

gizzyeq Empty Pockets

The rail-pass ROCKS! for $200 its ride as much as you want including local bus/train and the bullet trains. This will definitely minimize the agony of the cost of transportation in Jpn. :thumbsdown:

Since your going in the summer...towards the middle and end of August is when they have a lot of their festivals with some crazy fireworks displays(that would never be allowed here ;D )
    It's also gonna be Disgustingly humid although not super hot.

Cash is king. Surprisingly a lot of places do Not take plastic or TC's (not major chain stores etc sure but some food places and smaller stores...) Bring a change purse/pouch also $1, $5 coins are super commonly used.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

13. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

:ty: i'll ask :help: for the better itinerary :thinking:

regards