1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Hero Stories

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by thegadgetnut, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Last night at the closing of my first day on this new job, I used my flashlight to light the way in an unfamiliar place, my bottle opener to open some beers for the guys, and tore down some cardboard boxes before putting them outside.

My new co-workers were quite impressed...

2. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Not really a hero, but I helped my mother

She was pouring juice from a jug and the juice was not pouring as it should. I looked and noticed there was no air vent hole in the plastic cap. So, I used my knife as an awl and drilled a hole . Mother gave me three more jug caps to drill .

3. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

A true EDC hero... :)

4. Straya

Straya Loaded Pockets

Well this happened years ago and I didn't take quite as many photos as I could have but I think you guys will appreciate this.

I'm a volunteer firefighter and a few years ago we went out of area on a 5 day trip to a place called Mudgee in Australia for a big bushfire that was burning. On our last day our driver ran over a tree stump, pushed the transfer case back a couple of inches and dropped out the front driveshaft on our truck. As it came out some of the splines were burred a little. Luckily the driver is also a mechanic so we managed to put the driveshaft back in on the side of the road with the toolbox off the truck. However, the damaged splines were too fine to be filed back with our chainsaw file, so I used the file on my Leatherman charge Ti.

So in essence my leatherman got a $250K fire truck back on the road.

General shot
    [​IMG]
    Working under the truck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I think that is a perfect example of why to EDC Straya, Btw nice pics.

6. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I was going to post a story how my EDC saved my supper yesterday but after I read that story it sounds kinda lame. :laugh:

7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Well tonight at work we recieved a plant delivery and the driver had one of those rechargable led light sticks to light the inside of his dark trailer but it didn't do much good, so I pulled out my Fenix LD10 and lit up the inside so that he could make his delivery safely. When I turned on my light he turned around with suprise at how much light I provided, I'm sure he appreciated it.

8. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

We had a performance at school on Friday, and there were plenty of instruments, lighting, and speakers to set up. My drums were good with just a drum key, but then other stuff needed screwdrivers ad Allen keys which I had in my EDC bag and on my Leatherman. No biggy.

But then about three minutes before show time, my bass player's capo came unscrewed from the inside. He was flipping out, trying to use his nail or whatever else he can find, so I ran to my bag and opened the Phillips head screwdriver out of my Leatherman. I definitely saved his *** the other day.

9. laylow

laylow Loaded Pockets

10. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

decided not to be edc hero today.. and decided to be an edc :censored:. :)

a guy at work (different company as ours) who always keeps making snide comments about me carrying bunch of stuff with me that are not "real tools". and i keep telling him that i do use dedicated tools when i really work at something.. but just to "fix something for while" i can use an multitool or similar that can do the task well enough for time beeing.. and if it dont work then i go get the real tools.. etc.

anyways.. this guy was fixing some plastic piping that had come loose with just his bare hands in tight area.. i walked by..i had nothing to do for next 30 minutes so i was going to have a break but heard him cussing there as the fittings didnt fit together.

so decided to see if i could be of help. i was. i took my flashlight and gave him more light to see whats going on.. he was thankful of that..

so as he had no tools with him like always.. (i had my knife, lights, juice s2 and squirt too.. but hell if i am going to offer them to him.. :D he knows i have them but.. if he asks, then i would of.) so he was trying to get them to fit with using muscle only.. and decided it will not work without tools.. and complained that he needs to go and get the toolbox now from other side of the complex..

so ..me beeing a :censored: for first time came in here "where is your leatherman (supertool) i know you have that" .."yeah its in my car." "no good then isnt it." "nope. i will go get the tools now.. will be right back. do you want to try to work on this while im gone?" "yeah" i said. "it cant hurt to try"..

so he walked off to get his tools.

i took the fittings into my hands and lighted them up with my light.. yeah.. there is a small burr inside them that is in the way.

so.. i pulled my squirt and opened the file.. and filed the fittings so they fit smooth.. left them apart.. took a piece of cardboard and wrote with my sharpie "they should fit fine now.. try it" and left them there..

as i crawled out i saw him coming far away, carrying the big tool box with him and waved at him and pointed at the clock to say i need to go.. he replied with showing his big rechargable worklight (it was loud area so yelling was pointless and him showing the light was kind of thanks for me to showing him some light before)

so.. i walked off to do my own job and left him just to attach the pipes together..its their machine after all and his job.. not mine..

and later the day i went to break room again for coffee break.. i went in before him.. so as he walked in i was there sitting in the corner just acting all casual.. and pretending to be filing my fingernails with my squirt.. saw him giving me an look.. but didnt have the guts to say anything right there. hahah..

sometimes i like beeing a :censored:. and rub it in. :)

he did say thanks as i walked out of the break room and said that the pipes fit great when he came back. no mention or complaint about then pointless trip to get the "real tools" no mention of my gadgets beeing useful and saving the day.. but did serve him right in my mind. he knows that this was a direct reply to his comments about "why you carry all that stuff" hahah.

we will see if he eventually will start to carry his leatherman and a flashlight.. this wasnt the first time i saw him needing to fix something in the fly.. just duct tape it together until real maintenance guys have the time to make it right. i will wear him down too eventually. :)

like i said.. not an edc hero way of acting.. but i think this story kinda fits still into this thread..yes?

11. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Sometimes that is was it takes to get your point across to someone like that. I used to get called Macgyver (being sarcastic) for carrying my Swiss Army Knife but who did they always come to when a screw needed tightening or something cut, me. I one time cut some wire shelving with the metal file on my Swiss Army while the boss went to get the bolt cutters, he came back and found the shelving cut got my point across and he stopped calling me Macgyver. He asked how I did it and I said with my knife Haha!!

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A couple of years back, perhaps a bit more than that, a friend of mine was getting married. I used my Inova Microlight to provide enough light in the large darkened hall for his sister to re-apply her make-up properly. Ironically, she shouted that it was too bright when I first turned it on. I set it to an even lower setting, and she was happy.

BTW, had my SureFire L4 clipped to the top of the left pocket of my dress-pants. (The dress-jacket covered up the bezel and clip.) I can just picture her response if I had whipped that out, instead.

13. ian_glover

ian_glover Empty Pockets

used my torch to check for blown bulbs on a set of xmas lights, repaired one of my dogs toys with my leatherman and cut up some boxes with my victorinox forester. all done today.

14. seeker_two

seeker_two Loaded Pockets

I've become known as our school's "Eyeglasses Repairman" because I carry a Squirt with the small screwdrivers. Our students tend to have a lot of issues with eyeglasses, and I tend to get them working quickly instead of having them out a week or more for repairs. The scissors and file tend to come in handy too. And my Inova X5 has been useful too.

15. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

This isn't a fun story, but it would've been even worse without my EDC. About two weekends ago my girlfriend and I were heading home from a night out, and as we pulled up to her house we saw something in the road. It turned out that the youngest of her 8 cats had been hit and was dead in the road. Before the emotion could set in, I got a shovel from the garage and a cardboard box and got the poor kitty out of the road. During this whole thing I had my 4Sevens Preon 2 clamped in my teeth (my most used gripping method!) so I could see and be seen out in that road. That was a rough day.

Another time we were going somewhere, and in the car she realized she had missed a spot shaving her legs. So there's my CS Mini Tac Tanto with a (fortunately!) shaving sharp edge to take care of the problem. I don't think I've ever really "saved the day" with my EDC, but it just seems to make things go a little bit smoother.

16. laylow

laylow Loaded Pockets

And that's really what it's all about. Rarely will any of us cut a toddler and his puppy free from a burning car wreck with our pocket knife, but nearly every day we'll complete a task that would've been difficult or impossible without our EDC gear.

17. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

I'm in my last class of law school for this semster. The professors brought in pizza and beer and I saved the day with my Leatherman Skeletool CX bottle opener. =D

18. jugoretz

jugoretz Loaded Pockets

This was years ago when my daughter was in second grade. The class was going on a field trip to the Natural History Museum--an excited busload of kids, a teacher, and a parent volunteer (me). The kids were on the bus, ready to go, when the driver noticed that one of the dome lights in the aisle was hanging down. The screw holding it to the ceiling had rattled itself free. He said safety regulations would not allow him to drive the bus like that, and there were no other buses available, so the trip was canceled.

A busload of kids, all on the verge of tears--but I had my pocketknife. The screw was still in the socket of the light, the back of my blade fit the slot (not a good use for a blade, but at that time that was all I carried). I put the light back, tightened up the screw, and we were off to see the dinosaurs!

It's always nice to be a hero to your kid, but to be a hero to a whole busload of kids--priceless! ;D

(Never mind that later in that trip, my daughter's best friend got carsick, and vomited into my daughter's lunch bag. Does anyone EDC a barf bag?)

19. Highvalleyranch

Highvalleyranch Loaded Pockets

On night we heard the most awful screaming sounds outside our house. Ran into the woods and a deer had thrown itself over a wire fence, getting one of it's legs caught as the fence twisted over itself.
    I had my trusty LM on, and was able to carefully get up to the deer and cut the wire to free it, and it ran off.

Second one.....I went down to the field to check on the donkeys. I noticed the other three gathered around the old one. Upon closer investigation, i noticed that she had goten her foot tangled in the electrical fence wire and pulled about 100 feet off the fence and was standing there trying to kick it off. Had the other equines taken off they would have cut themselves on the pulled out wire badly. Luckily the old jenny knew better than to fight the wire. The wire appeared had like it had gone directly through her hock. I didnt have my trusty wave, I had just been given a LM micra from my brother, and had it on my keychain. I managed to cut the wire with the sissors and free her, and immediately wound up the rest of the wire. There would have been no time to go back up to the house to get a cutter and the animals might easily have injured themselves seriously had I not cut the wire immediately, so the LM MICRA SAVE THE DAY, AND PROBABLY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS IN VET BILLS.
    Luckily when we led the Jenny back up to the barn to take a look at the wire sticking out both sides of her hock, it ended up being wrapped around and simply cut it off. That was a very close call!

20. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

I wouldn't call this heroic use of EDC—we've got forum members who perform real heroic acts daily as part of their jobs. This was just a case of right place right time ... and didn't require a multi-tool or a flashlight. But was a reminder that one of the most useful things we EDC is knowledge.

Wednesday, out shopping with my wife; stopped for a late lunch at Red Lobster. Was half-through a Bud Lite Lime and coconut shrimp, when a frail-looking eighties-something fellow seated few tables away with his wife started choking and was clearly unable to breathe.

I'll confess I took a quick glance around the room to see who was going to help him, but nobody was moving. So I hustle over, snatch him out of the booth and gave him my best imitation of the Heimlich. Couple of grunts later (me, not him) out pops a good-sized wad of half-chewed shrimp scampi. Fortunately, he was fine.

Before we left, the restaurant manager came over and thanked me ... but no offer of a free dessert! What's up with that?! ;D