1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Hero Stories

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by thegadgetnut, Nov 7, 2010.

1. thegadgetnut

thegadgetnut Loaded Pockets

Please share how you were a "hero" because you were EDC-ing the right thing a the right time. When did you last save the day because you had the right tool in your pocket or bag? I know there are some good stories out there.

This is kind of a weak example. Today while sitting at church someone had a painful broken fingernail and needed nail clippers. I whipped some out of my EDC organizer. Then she needed a file, so I whipped out my Leatherman Wave, which has a fine file. I saved the day.

I know--it's a pretty lousy story. Share your stories here.

2. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

using a light to fix stuff at the back of computers in my office. happens regularly

3. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Today was filled with calls for ?uesto since I had some goodies on me. My Leatherman, my knife, and even my flaslight got used a lot today. We had this huge drumming event, and I was working with the crew to set up drums and stage equipment and banners and tables, and people needed screwdrivers, knives, pliers, drum keys, and Allen keys all the time.

In fact, there was this one pro drummer there who was from Sweden, and when he was helping us cut rope and whatnot, he would use this huge combat knife that only a show off would ring to a knife show, (this was a drummig event, mind you), and finally after enough people showed up, he asked to use my knife as he thought his was a little scary looking. I still gave him my Spyderco SALT instead of my Mini-Grip, as it is much larger.

Butthen into the night, my Surefire E2D and cheap headlamp got used a lot when packing up.

4. Heavy_Hog

Heavy_Hog Loaded Pockets

A few years back I was in Detroit for a wedding. My wife's best friend was getting married and she was standing up so we were at the church way early. I was not standing up and so I was like a fifth wheel.

I went out the the car to burn time and then I decided to look through my EDC bag to see if there was anything I would want to have on hand.

It occurred to me that I should have some safety pins on me just in case someone needed one.

I was standing there with a safety pin in my hand when one of the bridesmaids came up right behind me. Scared the heck out of me...

She asked, "Do you have a safety pin?"

I turned around and said. "I knew someone would need this." and I handed it to her.

She was shocked.

Perfect timing.

5. Ironman5517

Ironman5517 Loaded Pockets

last Fri one of the smokers in my office had to get their fix, it was raining, umbrella was jammed closed, used leatherman squirt to pull button out. umbrella worked and nicotine addiction satisfied.

6. Heavy_Hog

Heavy_Hog Loaded Pockets

This is what edc is all about.

Those little times when you being prepared benifited the people around you who have no intention of gearing up for life...as it were.

Nice...

I like that phrase...Gear up for Life...hmm...

7. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

A workmate had forgotten his lunch and had to go the the nearby grocery store to buy something to eat, but it was raining heavily, so I borrowed him my umbrella. Not particularly heroic, but it sure saved his day.

Another time I was just parking my bicycle, when a woman came up and asked if I happened to have scissors with me. Sure. Turned out she had some piece of cloth stuck between her bicycle's chain and gear, so that the entire mechanism was jammed. With my Leatherman, the whole "repair" only took a couple of minutes, but she'd been unsuccessfully attempting it bare-handed for 15 minutes.

And when I was a stay at home father, I fixed toys and stuff at playgrounds all the time. Zip-ties, duct tape, pieces of string etc. Heck, I even EDC'd some assorted screws, nuts and bolts at one point. And used them, too! It made the kids (particularly my own) happier and provided some conversation with the moms.

8. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I was at some fancy black tie affair for an old employer when some lady started to panic when the strap of her dress broke. Panic spread as the quest of a safety pin ensued. I heard my wife say, "Relax, I am sure my husband has one." Actually I had two.

Another time there was four of us taking a short cut back from a local carnival at night. We decided to cut through the woods as a short cut. Someone asked if I had an extra flashlight. I said, "No need to worry. I have an flashlight for each us. Plus a back up." I left the house with 5 lights (two were keychain lights). Some times it's good to be prepared. Some times it's better to be over prepared.

9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Waiting to pick up my kid at preschool, her classmate's mom was stung by a bee. On her inner thigh. My first aid kit saved the day and yes, she's pretty hot.

As a network security consultant, I've won professional services engagements at least twice after whipping out my flashlight to look behind racks during a walkthrough. Just counting the two I'm sure of, I've probably paid for my entire flashlight addiction and then some.

When my neighbor was smacking his wife around in their front yard one night, he stopped immediately when I shined my light on them (the police came, they're divorced now).

My daughter's fifth birthday party wouldn't have been the same without my knife being available to cut the cake.

Then there was the less than excellent landing of a small Cessna in the boonies when I was about ten years old. The plane was full of my family and one of the seats had come loose from the tracks during the landing. The adults had no tools and couldn't fix it. My original Leatherman PST was the tool we needed to get the seat back into the tracks and get us all out of there.

10. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

I am a probation officer. I am regularly searching houses with Police Officers, and social workers. My light and knife to shine and pry or cut has been prized on many occasions when the plainclothes detectives didnt have either on them.

11. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

EDC + Daughter with connections = [Insert end result of your heroism if appropriate for here]

12. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

+ 1 To that!!!! Don't just leave us hanging.

13. oldsarge

oldsarge Loaded Pockets

I am always the one prepared with a flaslight, knife, tool, etc. But to my my grandkids I am the EDC Hero!!!. They always come to me with something broken, something needing cutting, taping, glueing and tightening. I enjoy the role of super hero with them.
    My six year old grandson has always had a fixation for my laguiole pocket knife that I picked up in Paris. He has taken to announcing in a loud voice, "this looks like a job for a french knife!!" every time something needs cutting. I have a couple of "french knives" put aside for him when he is old enough.

14. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sadly (for those of you with a prurient interest, anyway) I'm happily married and there is no more to report. Married to us means no touching, but it doesn't mean no looking.

15. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

One more for tonight: I was walking the dogs with the same daughter when my older dog's ears pricked up and he started looking at something intently. I whipped out the Quark 123, set it to Maximum, and found the skunk at about 150', well before my brain surgeon dog could get sprayed for the fifth time. The skunk skedaddled when I lit it up. We gave the bush it was hiding in a wide berth while continuing home at a rather higher state of alertness than previously.

16. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Blah blah blah. Just make something up for fun. :naughty: ("She came over and we spent all night... playing Scrabble.")

I use my EDC stuff all the time and while I've never done anything I'd consider "heroic", it has lessened inconveniences.

17. Heavy_Hog

Heavy_Hog Loaded Pockets

This made me laugh.

I am on a dog "high" right now because the puppy we adopted is finally here so all dog stories are awesome to me right now.

I have been 7 months without a dog since my Belle died.

Trixie is here now and all is well once again...

18. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

The other night my wife and I were taking an evening walk when I noticed the security bar on the resident's gate had been ripped loose. I was able to fix it in about two minutes with my Leatherman Charge and Pocketwrench. My wife commented that I just walk around looking for a chance to use my tools. She's right!

19. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Not sure if this makes me an "EDC hero" or not, but I was at least extremely popular for a few days: a terrible electrical storm knocked out the power at a government facility I was at a few minutes before quitting time. I went out to the parking lot and numerous people were sitting in their cars waiting for something or someone to magically open the electronic arm to the parking gate. Five or ten minutes went by. Unfortunately, no power.

I used my Leatherman Wave to unscrew the bolts holding the wooden gate arm, took the wooden arm and threw it on the grass. People immediately started driving out; many stopping to thank me.

Days later the rumor was that I had ripped the gate apart with my bare hands ... I've found that once people think you're crazy they pretty much let you have your way.

20. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Not really a "save the day" story, just saved us from minor inconveniences. I was taking a jewelry making class the other night and during the course of the class I had opportunity to dig out a Sharpie, moleskin notebook and pen to take a couple of notes, and my Spork (!), all of which I had on my person. The instructor said "He's got everything on him!". Later on he and I compared flashlights, his a Fenix, mine a Quark, and knives, his a Buck Mayo, mine a Strider. He loved the Ti frame and it and he showed me a Ti ring he had made.

For the curious, he needed a plastic spoon to help shape some wire, I couldn't resist pulling out my Spork.