1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Headphones / Ear buds

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by ItchyD, Oct 2, 2012.

1. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I second the Sennheisser CX300-II! I have owned a pair since 2009, and they are still going strong. I used them daily for two years, and they still see use at least two days a week. They are the only in-ear earphones I've tried that actually fit my ears - and they fit superbly. Also, the sound is great, and, they have lasted longer than any other headphones/earphones I've ever owned.

As mentioned in another thread, I have very bad gadget karma. I tend to break everything I buy, especially consumer electronics. The fact that I've not yet broken these has got to mean something.:)

powerring likes this.
  2. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I hard-use Sennheiser CX400-II daily for a few years now. It’s the second pair because I failed to find the invoice for getting guaranty when I stretched one cable of the old ones too much. I need to get some sugru for stabilising the joint of cable and jack, though.

3. xxkid123

xxkid123 Loaded Pockets

CasperEDC and race2c like this.
  4. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Headphones come and go but to me the most important is a case to protect them while carrying them in my bag

5. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

+1 head-fi link. I am also over there on the same name.

6. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

+1 for MEElectronics.

My friend got me hooked on them. I was blown away. I use them for drumming and any other scenario where headphones are needed. Great product. Got mine for $16 on amazon. Will definitely buy again.

7. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Snap, still getting used to them, but so far they sound excellent, are of a great build quality and pretty decent value.

If you are going through so many pairs of headphones, I would look into how you are treating them, and see if there are any common causes for headphone related death - the most common problem I have seen is when people bend the cable out of the jack (wrapping it tightly around an ipod or similar for example) and the stress and tension kills the wire inside, which is when one earbud cuts out. similarly at the headphone itself, depending on the size/shape and how you stow them you can put fairly high amounts of stress on the connection between the cable and the earbud and damage it fairly quickly.
    Basically look after the point where the wire joins the jack and earbuds, try not to bend it harshly or stress it and they should last a lot longer (going on the most common cause of death in my group of friends at least). I know I keep my ipod and headphones in a small hardshell camera case when I am not using them which works perfectly to protect them and allow easy storage and carry in a bag without damaging anything.

8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

As for included headphones, I will have to join forces with the 'not always' crowd - most of them are indeed junk, and there are many pairs I have never taken out of the packaging when I have bought a new mp3 player or other device. On the other hand though there are occasional moments of joy when you discover your newly acquired device has a great set of included headphones - my Sony A829 player for exampel came with a great set of in ears that were my standard set for years - compared against Sennheiser in ears and over ear sets, A set of Koss porta-pro's and various other odd sets and they sounded fantastic and were very reliable for quite a few years (until the above issue caught up with them in the end and I had to go on the search again - hence the new set of Soundmagic e10's)

9. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

You may want to apply Sugru on the jack/cable.

10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

That might actually be a good idea, not only for headphone cables, but for cell phone chargers etc.

11. CasperEDC

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

My suggestion as well...they just need better ear gels. They'll probably last even longer than your used to ND they're cheap (but good)

12. ElectricSun

ElectricSun Banned

I have used the same pair of Shure E4c for almost 6 years now. And I use them a hour a day 5 times a week for running, walking, and biking. I have to say that I don't know the durability of the new shure.

13. SecretMember

SecretMember Loaded Pockets

These are the ones that i would recommend, they're fairly inexpensive and they lasted 1 year plus daily use in my edc while most headphones I've tried this far only last about 2 weeks at best. They also come with an included carrying case if that is your thing.

*note the verison i tried was the older one without the volume controls
    http://www.jvc.ca/www/Consumer/model.aspx?m=HA-FR201-R

14. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Nth-ing Meelectronics as a good build-quality and solid price-performance option. They even make several with metal bodies if, somehow, it's something in the actual monitors themselves that's giving up.

I'm pretty sure they all come with this nice little padded carrying case. When I'm not using my headphones I over-under coil the cable inside that. It protects them from the various indignities that being tossed in a pocket or bag inflicts on headphones, and the radius is nice and wide, to prevent stress to the cable.

The ones I have are built with a right-angle jack which I think usually makes for a more copacetic relationship between pocket and audio-jack.

I'll also second or third or whatever making a suguru or oogoo strain relief for the audio jack.
    Not to get too far off topic, I do agree with you on typical CD rips and encodes—tishy cymbals, mushy bass and throttled vocals galore. But at 320kbs or at -v0 VBR, I've yet to meet someone who can reliably tell the difference between the mp3 and the CD in a double blind test, even on unimpeachable gear. Besides, at that point, the horror's that modern audio producers inflict on their music (cf loudness war) vastly overshadows encoding problems.

jacobwilson99 likes this.
  15. Ofir_ISR

Ofir_ISR Loaded Pockets

Hi guys, I got a problem. I always lose the silicon parts of the in-ear headphones. They just pop off without me noticing, And I can't find new ones anywhere! I was thinking about superglue-ing the silicon to the headphones, how well do you think this will work?

16. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Do you still have some spare parts from previous ones (where you lost one but kept the other)? Try on them if your super glue dissolves the silicon or the plastic housing. If everything seems OK then go for it but don’t glue the opening shut. ;) Just a little bit glue on the right spots.

17. peeintheshower

peeintheshower Loaded Pockets

i did A LOT of research on my ear buds before i got them. and personally i did good. klipsch s4 in ear's are great. they have a sound quality that can be compared to 300$ ear buds and they can be found for 70$. i made expanding foam ear bud tips and now they are just perfect. the rugged version is available too if you think they look brittle.

18. Coupe_gxp

Coupe_gxp Uber Prepared

I washed my last pair of in-ear monitors and ruined them which sucked since they were really nice Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi. So I was left with my old pair of Shure SE215's which I need to buy new ear buds for them because the only ones I have left for them don't fit my ear very well so I just got a new pair of Ultimate Ears last week there pretty awesome so far. I used them all day today and some the couple of days before. I got the top of the line UE900's this time so hopefully I don't wash this really expensive pair also.

19. xnyne

xnyne Loaded Pockets

NeroQuattro likes this.
  20. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

Same here. I got them when a deal popped up on another forum website.

Do you have them connected to an ipod or smartphone?