1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Hats

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by scríbhneoir, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Goldtanker

Goldtanker Empty Pockets

Black 25th Infantry Division ball cap year round.

2. geoffchan

geoffchan Loaded Pockets

I tend to use Boonie hats in either US Woodlands or ACU camo patterns.

I also have an ultra rare Surefire Ball cap with a full color Australian flag.

:)

Geoff

3. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I used a Boonie hat (black) until it pretty much dissolved itself (or I lost it, it was a loooong time ago). I then switched to an old straw hat when my primary duties kept me in the field, but then changed to a baseball cap. That's what I've been using for years now, but I just got a very unique Desert Boonie directly from a friend in Iraq. I wore it over the weekend when we went on a short trip. I'd forgotten how comfortable those were.

Once in a while I wear a bandana, pirate style - but that's only when I'm feeling especially moody while I'm out in the field working.

Now that I think about it... I don't really EDC a hat, unless I'm out in the field, working or playing.

4. camiller

camiller Loaded Pockets

5. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Now don't laugh, but I have a big head and have a heck of a time finding hats to fit. I wear a 8 to 8-1/4 fitted. Anyone know who has a good selection for us "Fat Heads"? :laugh:

GG

6. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I have a blue Boonie hat for our Search and Rescue team, and a khaki one for wearing around the yard or a day outside. I love 'em. I also have a few ball caps for the casual wear and the days my hair has a disagreement with me.

7. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I remember wearing a boonie hat a few years back.  Now that I see members posting about it, it makes me miss that hat.  Then I was thinking that it would be nice to have a boonie hat with the same moisture wicking material as Nike's Dri-Fit and UnderArmour.  Well, I found it if anyone is interested.
    Voodoo Hat

8. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

I love boonie hats but opted for this one. i like to keep my head warm. dont wear a hat in the summer.

Outdoor Research: Snoqualmie Sombrero
    [​IMG]

The Snoqualmie Sombrero adds warm, fuzzy, Gore WindStopper fleece earflaps to a totally weatherproof sombrero design. The earflaps can be folded down when needed and tucked away when not. A quick adjustment of the internal Cinch-Band system always provides a perfect fit. To keep the brim from going cowboy-style on you while cruising downhill, we've swapped the Seattle Sombrero's Velcro patches for snaps.

9. ohmygoat

ohmygoat Empty Pockets

For kayaking, either a Mountain Hardwear Solar Nylon Vented Sun Hat, or a Kavu synthetic Strap Cap. Both have proven to be breeze resistant, quick drying and cool (temperature-wise) wearing. During the winter months at work, an REI Elements (I forget the model name) fleece lined, ball cap style with ear flaps. Dry, nice 'n warm.

10. nightgaunt

nightgaunt Loaded Pockets

Pretty much been wearing lightweight Boonie hats (tru-spec or Propper) in lighter colors. I'd die of heat stroke with a black hat, plus having a shaved head a hat is a must! Too much sun here at 5280feet above sea level, ya know?!? I have a couple boonies in kahki and desert digi-cam.

I really like that OR Voodoo boonie...gotta get one of those! I love hi-tech fabrics....

11. was_jlh

was_jlh Loaded Pockets

gadget guy, i bought a size 8 tilley hat yesterday from http://www.greatoutdoorprovision.com/. fits better than any hat i've ever owned.

12. SparHawk

SparHawk Empty Pockets

I've been wearing a Royal Robins Coolmax cap.  Light nylon, washable, packs well and has two cool features - an attached leash and a zippered pocket.  I purchased it from REI - actually bought 3.

13. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

I should have checked this thread awhile ago! Thanks for the great link... :) There is hope for me after all!

14. was_jlh

was_jlh Loaded Pockets

i've worn it about 3 weeks now, and i still recommend it, gadgetguy. when i bought it i specifically asked the salesman if it would still fit after being washed. he assured me that it would if i followed the instructions provided with the hat. washed it in the washing machine this weekend. followed the directions for washing, drying, and restretching the hat. everything worked, still fits great. the only caveat is that after you wash it, the brim is not as uniform and straight as it was. i've read that you can iron the brim to help restore some of its original appearance. going to try that and see if it helps.

15. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

seattle sombrero- rain and wind
    mountain hardwear half dome- cold and under the S. S.
    marmot precip cap- alll other time i need a cap.

16. was_jlh

was_jlh Loaded Pockets

mossyoak, i must say, you look good in a hat ;D

17. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

A Seattle Sombrero has been my go-to rain hat for several years. I may pick up a Snoqualmie for the winter.

18. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

I use a Scottevest TEC hat. (baseball cap)
    http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/40tec_hat.shtml

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_images/products/4tec_hat_diag.jpg
    http://www.scottevest.com/v3_images/products/tec_hat_40_gray.jpg

• Side zip pocket on the exterior of the cap.
    • Hidden under-brim pocket for change, keys, etc.
    • Patent-pending hidden side loops, to keep earbuds in place while active.
    • CoolMax® mesh lining helps keep your head cool and dry.
    • Adjustable brass closure that is useful with ponytails.
    • Lambskin sweatband.
    • Teflon® coated--water-repellant.
    • Eyelets for ventilation.
    • Fits snuggly to your head with no unsightly bulges.
    • Soft, pre-washed cotton material.

19. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I love the sweat-wicking hats. I have the UnderArmour one. I forgot about the Scottevest hat. I have to get one now that I have more EDC stuff.

20. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

was_jlh ,
    i agree kiera knightly does look good in a hat. but not nearly as good as my girlfriend.