1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Hats

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by scríbhneoir, Jun 26, 2006.

1. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It's summer for real down here, which means I start wearing my big straw hats. I have one I bought in Charleston and another, which is terribly expensive but lasts forever (I've had mine over 10 years), that comes from Australia, a Kaminsky. I also have a baseball cap from the Swannanoa Gathering and another that says F-150 on it. Those are my yard and fishing hats. I know some of us have to wear hats for our jobs or uniforms, but what sort of chapeaus do the rest of us carry?

2. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I bought a UnderArmour cap just to wear for jogging, but it wicks away sweat so well, it is the only cap I wear now. Looks great. It keeps your hat cool, but it doesn't look like those dorky, flimsy running caps that you see people in shorty shorts wearing in the park.

3. Malcontent

Malcontent Empty Pockets

I have seriously been looking at the Tilly hats. I have read great things about them.
    Some come with a pocket inside, so there is another place to stash things.

4. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

They sell a cool sap cap by Shomer-Tec. Great for those who are seriously paranoid. :laugh:

5. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

My most frequently worn hat is the John Deere cap I got with my tractor 20 years ago. (Still have the tractor, too.) I have other John Deere caps I got while visiting the John Deere museum in Moline, Illinois.

6. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

I prefer low profile sandwich bill baseball caps. I get mine from BlankCaps.com.

7. alwilliam

alwilliam Loaded Pockets

Shomers sap cap is just about worthless...Email F.Perrin for his original design its what ST ripped off. ;D

8. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Yep, that's the kind I wear.

9. wolf

wolf Loaded Pockets

My "lucky" hat is my North Country Trail ball cap. This spring I got a bucket hat from REI on sale, but haven't worn it much.

10. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Thanks for the suggestion with the cap. Nothing like getting the real thing. O0
    Know a way I could contact him, would like to get one and maybe a couple more bracelets.

11. watchman

watchman Empty Pockets

:D Western felt in winter straw in summer :-X

12. Dogsmeadow

Dogsmeadow Empty Pockets

Tilley and a TNF toque.

Jim

13. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Loaded Pockets

I often carry a Seattle Sombrero in my backpack. It's a very Handy Rain hat.

14. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

I have a standard ball cap, black that says security on it for work. I bought it myself as the ones that they issue at work are crap. Found it at the flea market for $5 each or 5 for $20. I bought 10 and sold them at work for $5 each, covered my gas and everyone was more than happy to pay it as anywhere else they cost 10-15.

For home I have an old khaki ball cap with a small usa + flag logo I got at Sam's Club a few years ago cheap, and a dark grey stone wash demin looking cap from work with company logo on it as a quick throw on for bad hair days.

And I'll throw one in for boonie hat. Got a black one thats many years old for rainy days. Though I am leery of wearing it with certain outfits.

Only other is plain black wool caps for winter and a black cowboy hat thats sees very rarae use.

15. Bagheera

Bagheera Empty Pockets

Hi guys,

I sometimes wear an Akubra "Bush tucker" hat  (the Hoss Cartwright model with a very high crown that I formed myself), also a ventilated ""Tilley" clone with 3+" brim and ventilated crown and several other "boonie" hats.

Getting a bit older I now got a more classy outdoor hat a Tilley TH5 Mocha colour Hemp fabric one that should be wearable on many occasions.

Cheers,

Bagheera

16. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Yep! With a sprinkling of ballcaps!

todd

17. RoisonDubh

RoisonDubh Loaded Pockets

I wear a Tilley wide-brimmed hat. West Texas sun and BBC dome = majorly painful sunburn!

18. sewer_rat

sewer_rat Loaded Pockets

I swear by my Tilley hat, which I've owned for about 15 years. They're darn near indestructible if you follow the simple cleaning guidelines and they pride themselves on being so to the point of making a big deal if you manage to destroy one. I bought the T3 and dye it brownish every year or so.

If you decide on a Tilley, it's better to find somewhere that sells them local and try them on. It's essential to get a proper fit, roughly 1-1.5 finger widths around the brim between brim and head. They shrink slightly when washed and require a bit of knee stretching afterwards to get them back to a proper fit but the size you buy will remain so.

19. alwilliam

alwilliam Loaded Pockets

Hes a USN member ;D

20. M.TEX

M.TEX Loaded Pockets

OK at work ( Golf Course ) we get one new hat every season. But i like to work with
    my BOSTON RED SOX hat ;D

to me if the hat is a baseball style and looks good , Im good to go....

Better if has RED SOX logo on it.... ;D

M.TEX