1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC handgun sagas.. how did you get where you did?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Jpoe0108, Mar 18, 2016.

1. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

I went to a bunch of shops and handled several firearms then found a shop that I was able to rent from and tried a few out. I also had a friend who let me shoot his gun after I had rented at the shop. His was perfect, Ruger SR9c. I bought one a few weeks later, that was over 3 years ago, been EDC'g it for about 3 years when I got my CPL. Last year saved up some cash and had been eyeing a RIA 1911 but couldn't get away from the practicality of just buying another SR9c (I have like 15 mags) so I did. It is the wife's bedside firearm. Looking like my next purchase will likely be a less expensive Ruger 9e, still uses the same mags and same mechanics. That will become the bedside firearm and the SR9c will go into the safe downstairs.

We do have a Sig P938 that was purchased for the wife's CCW but she does not carry :-( Sits in the safe, I did purchase an ankle holster for it but have yet to try it as a BUG.

2. Drew Whitehead

Drew Whitehead Loaded Pockets

Started with the idea of an xd subcompact. Never got around to taking the class and all. Got a wild idea to sell it, which I now regret. Bought a 1911. Then a diamondback, then an XDS, then a LCR. Sold the diamondback, bought another one later. Finally took the class and paid my money for my HL. Now I’m carrying the XDS daily, both inside and outside, and only occasionally pocket carry the little diamondback. The LCR is the wifes’ and she’s not real happy with the thickness. New pocket carry for me!! Wahoo!!

3. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I got my permit back in 96. I wasn't making any real money at the time so I carried a Beretta Jetfire .25 that was passed down to me from my uncle. I carried it for about a little over a year till, for some reason I honestly can't remember/say...I stopped carrying it or anything else. I didn't renew my permit and had to redo everything years later after I got my head on straight....sorta

After I got my permit back I went big instead of small or nothing. I really tried to convince myself that I could and would EDC a Glock 17. That might work for people who work at a range all day or have no real dress code, but I am in a suite most of the time. Endless to say, that idea never took off. I don't regret buying the G17...I love it, but it has never been an EDC.

Eventualy I found sanity and settled on a Glock 26. Small enough for ankle carry (my only real option) and big enough to get the job done. Even if it is a small ugly black brick.

4. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Oh wow...the gun saga. Ok, here goes. Back in the 90's I'd just gotten out of army and gotten married. For home defense I wanted a pistol and bought the cheapest I could find. H&R .32 Mag. Had it as a sock drawer gun for years.
    Years later, bought 2nd cheap gun. Hi Point C9. My dad offered to pay for my CCW license. I knew I needed a better pistol for CCW so I scrimped and saved and bought a Kel-tec P-11 and subsequently got my CCW license in 2010. A couple years later My dad goes to an auction and purchases 2 Glock 22's. Gives me one. I loved the Glock so much that I wanted one for CCW and about a year later the folks got me a Glock 27 for Christmas. About the same time I bought a Taurus .380 as a pocket gun for hot summer days.
    The only pistol I no longer have is the H&R .32 mag. which I sold. Since then I've also acquired a 12 gauge Pardner pump shotgun, a Kel tec sub 2000 in 9mm that matches my Kel Tec P-11. and an old SKS that needs work.

5. randylahey

randylahey Loaded Pockets

Here it is:

Went to buy a Glock 19 for my first handgun purchase in 2006, the salesperson talked me hard into a Springfield XDM 9 mm. Said there was no reason to buy a Glock over that,mostly because the gun came with a holster i'd never use and 1 extra magazine lol. Illinois didn't have conceal carry at the time but I knew it was coming and planned my purchases accordingly.

Second gun purchase was between a Sig 220 and a Kimber 1911. Loved shooting the 1911 so went with that. Few years later felt the platform was too heavy and too much maintenance work with not enough capacity...

Got a used USP 45c and loved it, and on that thought also bought a HK45c, which was one of my first handgun loves based on feel. HK mag cost and with my confidence with firearms growing (therefore starting to not like the DA/SA platform) had me want a change. Around the same time I sold my Xdm because the capacity scared me (cook county) and this was prior to conceal carry preemption.

Kimber solo came up, really liked the way it looked and felt. Gun was super unreliable. Could only feed 147 grain and didn't do so too effectively. That got traded in fast. Also sold my usp45c, the one gun I really regret selling even though i was moving to striker fired pistols.

Got a Glock 21 since i was into 45, and felt the 30 was too small for my hands. Glock 21 is still my favorite overall gun, but not too easy to carry. Tried a 30s and while it carries nice, the shorter grip makes it harder for me draw and shoot...Went to Glock 17 and fell in love with it for carry (good compromise on weight from the 21, good grip size, and stellar capacity). Certain parts of Cook County don't permit more than 15 round capacity, so i also bought a Glock 19, and as much as i loved carrying the 17, the 19 loses that one or two ounces of weight that make it perfect, while maintaining a slight compromise in grip size. So the gun i wanted to buy first is now my EDC after several trade ins and thousands of wasted dollars, and while i still have the 45c, 21, 30s, and 17, I only carry the 19, use the 21 for home defense, and would rely on the 17 for the zombie apocalypse (45c and 30s are not favored but being held onto for the inevitable assault weapons ban that will ruin 10+ cap handguns). My future handgun purchases will revolve around doubling up on those three firearms. Probably would've saved myself 3 grand if I bought that Glock 19 first.

6. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I started with P229 as a HD gun after letting a coworker talk me into it because of Sig's really good MIL discount and I liked the idea of the .22 conversion barrel. I decided to cc, I didn't really trust myself with a DA/SA (because I didn't really understand it) and wanted something small with external safety. The P938 felt right and at the time was one of the only of its size with an ambi-safety (I'm left-handed). Then decided I wanted more capacity with external safety - MP9c. Then I finally started learning more of the safety of DA/SA and decided to start practicing more with my P229 and started falling in love with it. I then started experimenting with carrying the P229. It was easier than I expected with the size and weight, but the grip did print some. Then see a P224 at my LGS and couldn't resist. The P224 is quickly becoming my favorite EDC.

7. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

When I decided to own a gun I went all-in and after having friends take me to the range I tested several guns and landed on a Glock 19. I applied for my CHL almost right after, practicing regularly and taking a couple private lessons.

At the time Texas was backed up on CHLs because of the change in process in 2013, so I had several months to research, rent, and obsess over what my carry piece would be since I just could not wrap my brain around carrying the Glock 19, seemed too big and blocky at the time and I felt everyone would know immediately.

The M&P Shield was the new hotness, seemed concealable but not tiny, and handled really well for me so I found a decent price and picked one up.

Almost 3 years later I am now working nights in a different part of town and felt that if something were to go down I'd rather have my Glock with its higher capacity, night sights, lack of external safety, and overall a higher comfort level with it.

I also am less worried about printing after a couple of years carrying combined with the fact that open carry is now legal in Texas--I don't OC but it makes an accidental reveal a non-issue (or should--I still try very hard to conceal, though).

But, rather than deprive my wife of the Glock I bought a G26 that I carry with the G19 magazine and an XGrip most times. Occasionally, like today, I'll put the flush mag in if I'm about town and it seems necessary, but I've only carried the Shield once since I switched several weeks ago.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  8. Hairlesswookiee

Hairlesswookiee Loaded Pockets

I started with a Glock 19 about 5 years ago. I moved up into the panhandle in Florida, and shortly after arriving I realized how bad the crime rate is (I researched before moving, but just blew it off as typical media exagerrating shootings). I was fine with the 19 for a long time. During the hotter times of the year I decided to go with an M&Pc, which my wife now currently uses.

I cannot remember when, but I purchased a Shield shortly after they were released and it is currently in my daily rotation when I need something light and easy to throw on my belt. Since December I've been going with a Sphinx SDP because I wanted something hammer fired and higher capacity. Love it, but it's choosy with self defense ammo so that was a little frustrating to find ammo that feeds 100%.

9. GQkudzu

GQkudzu Loaded Pockets

This may be a long post...

I grew up with shotguns and revolvers. My dad had a S&W .38 Special and a Colt 32-20 that we'd fire often, and he'd occasionally bring home a .357 or .45 borrowed from co-workers. When I was in my early 20s, my grandfather passed away, and I inherited his Rossi .38 Special. This was my only handgun for years. I would carry it backpacking, buried deep in my pack, typically with only 3 rounds in it. I wanted to keep the chamber under the hammer open, as well as the next one in case the trigger was accidentally pulled!:nah_disagree:

A few years ago, I had an experience that made me rethink preparedness as it relates to firearms. It turned out to be nothing, but still made me think. My wife and kids were visiting family for a weekend, and I was home alone. In the middle of the night, a noise woke me from a dead sleep. For a miserable 10-15 seconds, I lay motionless in bed, sure there was an intruder in my kitchen, just a few feet away from me. Lying there, I began to process the steps I needed to take to arm myself:

1. Jump up and close and lock the bedroom door, which would alert the intruder to my presence.
    2. Open the closet.
    3. Retrieve the zippered case I kept in the top of the closet.
    4. Unzip the case, take out my (unloaded) .38, grab the 5 rounds I kept loose in that case, load the cylinder...

So obviously, I didn't like my odds.

Turns out there was no intruder, and I have no idea now what the sound was -- perhaps somebody pounding on the front door.

Immediately after that, I began to read about firearm readiness and safety and so forth. I had a buddy who had just gotten his FFL and needed to sell a certain number of guns each year, so I bought a Walther PPK/S from him. That was only based on my shaky understanding that this was "James Bond's gun." I had never fired a semi-auto before. When I first got my Walther, I fired two magazines through it, for a total of 14 rounds, then cleaned it, put it in a zippered case and carried it in my edc bag for years.

Once I got a CCW, I tried to carry the Walther in an IWB holster and found it very uncomfortable. By that point, I more fully understood the limitations of .380 and decided I wanted a 9mm. After lots of online shopping, I settled on a Glock 19, which is my current edc. I practice with it at least once a month. I've begun to take my Walther along too for a little more range time with it, and I've developed a renewed appreciation for it. From time to time, I'll conceal carry the Walther as a gentleman's carry of sorts.

Lately, I've been considering a smaller CCW for summer carry or those days when I have to wear khakis or dress pants. I like the Shield, but I'm also thinking that an LCP would at least meet my occasional carry requirements for about half the cost, and I'd continue with the Glock for all those days when printing didn't matter.

jstert likes this.
  10. dreiwhit

dreiwhit Loaded Pockets

I started out carrying a S&W 669 back in 1992. I carried that weapon until 2001 when I switched to a steel-framed 1911 Commander sized clone. I was also a reserve deputy sheriff, and I carried a full size Government model 1911 on duty.

I carried that 1911 for 10 years, however I started to develop back problems (I have arthritis) and I wanted something lighter with a polymer frame and a modern coating so that it would not rust as easily as my 1911. I also wanted a weapon that had a larger capacity than 7+1 of the 1911.

After looking at many different pistols, I settled on the S&W M&P40. I went with the .40 because I was planning on rejoining my SO's reserves (I never did, but that's a different story) and they provided .40 ammo for free :)

Sometimes I think I may have been better served with a 9mm M&P, but I'm going to stick with the .40 for the time being.

11. jstert

jstert Loaded Pockets

mid 1980s in florida i got a gently used taurus model 85 38sp snubbie. i was traveling in very dicey areas and needed protection. i had a lousy m1911 experience in army basic training in early 70s so only wanted a wheelgun. i carried the taurus in my briefcase for several years until i moved and it lived quietly in a bedroom lockbox. after early retirement and return from overseas i discovered ccw. the steel taurus is a fine shooter but heavy for ccw so it remains a house piece with lots of memories, and a ruger lcr 22lr became my first permitted ccw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

As someone else stated, its an evolution.

I have a bunch of carry guns. Each had/has its place. Some were bought on impulse, some with purpose. Some work depending on what I'm wearing or going. Some are just cool. Some are tiny, some are even redundant.

My next evolution will be a Sig Ultra carry .45.and in 6 months, who knows what will be my next choice will be lol...

That said, my current carry is a G42 (should carry my G43).

13. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Started with Bodyguard, but was not willing to carry with one in the chamber. I moved to a Taurus 85 UL as I felt less likely to experience an accidental discharge. This way I'm ready to fire AND feel confident about safety. The increase in stopping power of .38 vs .380 was a nice plus as well. I actually find I tend to be more accurate with the stubby revolver at 15 ft than I am with my S&W SD 9VE.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

14. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Way back when I turned 21. I picked up a Phoenix arms .25acp piece of junk. I was really paranoid on carrying a pistol full time and just got into CCW. The little mouse gun broke it's slide and went away. I moved into a Star Firestar Plus 9mm. That was a great gun. A little chunky but worked great. But then, the gun gods moved in, and demanded a glock 22 in 40cal. That is the epitome of gun ownership in my mind. I had arrived. Other guns came and went, and I also have a couple of 1911s in .45acp that my wife and I use occasionally. But My true EDC for the last 15 years has been a Kahr Arms P9 stainless 9mm. It is compact, light, and easy to shoot well. My next money pit is looking for a high capacity .45. like the M&P or Glock...But I have to save up first. Momma wants new stuff first! lol

15. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

I have owned quite a few pistols in my lifetime, so selecting a carry gun was pretty simple for me. The gun had to be reliable, accurate and knife simple to use and maintain. When I got my CCP I started carrying my Glock 19. When the Glock 43 was introduced I bought one of those; fired it a few hundred times and started carrying it when the G 19 feels too big.

16. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I did plenty of research online first. Thankfully, many gun shops around me have handguns to rent and shoot on their range to help narrow down your choice and to see what fits your hand well.

I wanted a polymer (reduced weight), striker fired, reliable, double stack mag, and accurate firearm. "Most" full size handgun have a 4" barrel. I thought that was a little long. A subcompact at 3" was a little short. 3.5" seems like a good compromise. I don't like the finger grooves on Glocks. I know some Gens don't have them but I'm just not a fan for some reason. Some of the Springfields have 3.8" barrel. I'm not a fan of palm safeties. I liked the Ruger SR9c but I don't like the flip up loaded chamber indicator. I loved that fact that the SR9c allows for two different size magazines to be carried.

I found the S&W M&P9c. 3.5" barrel + double stack mag + 3 different palmswell grips to choose from + striker fired + many different of safety options to choose from + ability to carry 10,12, or 17 rd magazines + good Company with a good rep = win for me. Also, being a S&W, there should be plenty of holster and aftermarket add-ons available to choose from.

I rented one at a local shop a few times and it checked off all the major points on my list. YMMV! ;)

17. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter Loaded Pockets

My Dear Friends,

Wow. I'll try to not drone on for too long.

Grew up with firearms. Obtained a concealed carry permit at 21 and carried a tiny .380 Star Pistol that would put you in mind of a 1911. Upgraded (if you can call it that) to a Firestar 9mm. Started working for a firearms/sporting goods retailer and had the chance to shoot just about everything under the sun, so I went through a LOT of handguns. Became a certified handgun instructor during this time period.

Eventually settled on a Springfield Armory 1911 for the longest time, though I did carry a Kimber base model shortly after they started producing 1911s. Really nice for the money. Always cocked and locked, condition one, in a Galco holster, 4 o'clock, FBI-tilt high-ride with a thumb break.

After a number of years of not carrying often due to a change of jobs, I again changed jobs and states of residence and obtained my carry permit again. My current carry setup is as follows:

Glock 19 9mm in a Kramer #3 IWB Horsehide - this one is for those suit-and-tie days or colder days when I have pretty heavy covering garments and can keep something pretty sizable under wraps. This one is more often on the nightstand bedside these days.

Smith and Wesson Shield .40 in a DeSantis Intruder IWB - this is my EDC handgun, as it is small, lightweight, potent, and very easily concealed in the DeSantis under even a loose polo shirt. Three more rounds of felon-repellent than a J-frame snubbie with faster reloads and .40 S&W power. I have never been a fan of S&W polymer guns, but I *really* like the Shield.

North American Arms Guardian .32 ACP in a High Noon Holsters Split Decision or a DeSantis Pistol Pack - this is my "I can't carry anything larger" go-to handgun. Wearing shorts, a quick run out to the convenience store, or a walk up the street, this is generally the handgun on my person. The DeSantis Pistol Pack itself is particularly accommodating for discreet carry - I carried one exactly like my current setup for years as an IT Tech without anyone ever suspecting a firearm inside, as everyone assumed it was a diabetic test kit, PDA, etc.

Right this second it would take a really unusual handgun to shake up this rotation - the S&W Shield .45 ACP is coming out and I definitely want to have a look at one, but I'm not yet convinced that I'll pop the cash for one. If I didn't already have the .40 it would be a no-brainer. Otherwise, I can't think of a handgun that I have seen recently that would improve enough on what I am currently carrying to make it worth the investment in time and money to change.

-----
    Kurt

jstert likes this.
  18. arctictwist

arctictwist Loaded Pockets

I started with a ruger sr9c. Carries nice, shot it okay. Also was supplied with a duty pistol, which was a hand me down state police beretta. Hated that. We finally upgraded and got sig 220s. LOVE IT. so I got myself a 227 to carry. Its big, but im not small so it works for me.

19. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Don't have a long history, but basically it goes from big & heavy to small & light:

I didn't get my CCW until my late 20s, but I was working as an armored truck guy. Didn't yet have my own sidearm, so while on duty I initially carried one of the big old .38 S&W revolvers they checked out to me. Had that, two speedloaders, keys, light, and Leatherman on my duty belt, and it was like EDCing a brick.

After less than a year I knew I had to dump the brick and get my own weapon, so I picked up my first handgun (first one not handed down from my dad, that is), a Glock 23 that I still own. This was back when .40 was still seen as superior to 9mm, of course. Nevertheless, I love that gun and shoot it really well, but I do wish it was a G19. Around this time I finally got my concealed permit so I began carrying it off-duty. What I learned was that the gun that's a dream to carry on a fat duty belt isn't quite the same when it's IWB: it prints way too much and drags on my pants if I have to move around a lot. These days its role is to wear a tac light and live in the safe under my bed, but once in a blue moon I'll carry it while hunting or in potentially higher risk situations.

So I did some research and really wanted a single-stack 9mm, and ended up getting a KelTec PF9. It was actually a pretty cool piece in desert tan (and every bit as light & skinny as advertised), but I had some nagging little issues that I didn't quite want to have to worry about. Never did have a single issue shooting self-defense ammo, but I kept getting light strikes and the occasional failure-to-cycle using the cheaper stuff, so I finally sold it.

Did some more research, got the wheel gun bug, and picked up my current Ruger LCR .38. These days I'm in a smaller city and a good neighborhood, so I don't carry all the time, but I added OC Spray to my EDC. Combined with the OC, I feel quite secure with the LCR, like how it carries, and I shoot it well enough. It's definitely a keeper.

Down the road, I'd like to maybe trade in the G23 for a G19 and go all-in on the 9mm by picking up another single-stack, probably a Shield.

Hannibal Lecter likes this.
  20. MountainMedic

MountainMedic Loaded Pockets

Owned every gun under the sun I think from Sprinfield TRP's to S&W 442's and Sig 938's, every glock known to man and every HK thats been out. carried a Glock 19 now for about 6 years, always shot them so well I'd be crazy to carry anything else. Its the only type of pistol I really own now(I have several) and my wife has a 43. Took me a long time to find what I liked and wanted but am happy with my choice.