1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC guns vs first aid

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by irl314, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

Alright, I got the answers I was looking for, thank you all for contributing.

2. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

Alright, I got the answers I was looking for, thank you all for contributing.

3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I want to add that a tourniquet will only go so far. If your assailant ends up with a wound to the torso or head what is your provision for care then, irl314? What "basic" supplies should we have?

Sure, I know how to deal with both, not that I would, but most people don't. What have you decided we should carry for that?

I also think this is akin to the school of thought that all armed persons should also wear armor. Not that I'd do this either, but I can see myself wearing quality, concealable armor long before shoving trauma gear in my pants.

garza likes this.
  4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The OP was an agenda driven post with a poor set of assumptions about self defense and first aid.

charlie fox and huntnow like this.
  5. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

It is very easy to avoid being shot and needing treatment in these situations you are worried about. Don't be a criminal.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Are you aware of the concept of competing harms? The question you pose is not, necessarily, a studied phenomenon that appears to be something of interest to the fellow members that have so far responded.

A firearm is the one EDC item that is rarely, if at, all used by those that have chosen to take the responsibility to carry one. Its single focus is of the utmost criticality. The responsibility is enormous. The diametric opposition to the carry and use of a first aid kit is of the highest level.

Many do not carry implements such as a sewing kit to undo the specific result of having to use a knife or scissor. Those that carry a flashlight do not specifically carry and use a blanket to darken a room that they just illuminated.

Most of the implements that are carried by members here are those intended to provide, in some meager way, an advantage in a circumstance in which they find themselves in NEED of something more than what is readily available in the immediate environment.

A firearm is just that: an advantage in an exigent circumstance. A first aid kit is of similar value; however, those that carry a first aid kit typically do not use its content, then immediately deploy the devastation of a firearm on the same person. There is where the "competing" concept apply.

If you have actually been in a firefight, you will know that the use of a firearm is all about control by imparting the greatest amount of ultimate injury to another human being. Those that have done so for the first time will be traumatized by the event and rendering first aid is QUITE removed from their immediate thought process. Those that have done so in succeeding events have already determined -that ensuring that the other person will not continue the aggression that forced the use of the firearm- is the imminent course of action. This is typically done placing as much distance between oneself and the other person OR further use of the firearm.

Upon further use of a firearm in the aforementioned scenarios, one simply becomes cathartic to the devastation and ALL thoughts simply focus on neutralizing the other person.

Why are you so interested in what others "have to say?" Why did you ask your question in THIS forum? What are you going to do with the answers provided on this forum?

Are you studying human behavioral patterns?

Contemplating on a career in health care?

Have you been a victim of gunfire violence? Have you been traumatized with the mere sight of the results of the sheer devastation of a GS wound?

Are you formulating your persona for what you want to be for the remainder of your adult life? A 20-year old will typically do this.

I what type of community do you reside in Canada? In what type of household have you been brought-up in?

It is YOUR turn to provide answers.

TJ S., Doc Steelgrave and huntnow like this.
  7. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

I generally advise those that ask me in Hunter Ed classes, that if you are carrying a weapon, it is a good idea to carry a trama kit. Accidents happen and the person you may have to use it on is yourself. I think the same applies to concealed carry. It's advisable to also carry a small trama kit for yourself, I may be mistaken, but people I know who train, you don't draw your ccw unless there is an immediate threat and in that case, the target generally threatens or attacks first

Bkjsdc09 likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

That's the scenario in which the law would favor the CCW holder. The PROBLEM with that is when you SUDDENLY realize that you need to draw your weapon. By then, it's too late! You either get injured or you have to injure the would-be assailant. NOT a good scenario; and one that could largely be avoided if people (not just CCW holders) would just realize the probability that something injurious could happen.

Hunting scenarios are quite different from CCW scenarios. Hunters are after prey that are just trying to avoid the heavily-armed human. CCW holders, armed with puny handguns, ARE typically the prey.

Sure, carry the first-aid kit if that's gonna make you feel better! Just try using it on some wounded druggie that is spewing copious amounts of blood AND is VERY likely to be so pissed-off that he got shot and is ready to kill anything that comes close to him. See what his reaction will be when he discovers that it is YOU that caused his liver to be spattered all over the sidewalk and you are now approaching. Go ahead!

Last edited by 0dBm, Mar 19, 2017
    #28 0dBm, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

That is why I recomend carrying a small trama kit, it's not for your attacker, it's for yourself. Few ccw holders acknowledge they can be hurt or killed when they draw their weapon. All one has to do is look at the case in Las Vegas where two individuals shot and killed two police officers, a ccw tried to engage the gunman and not realizing that one of the shooters was a woman, was fatally shot in the back. While this was a case of lack of situational awareness, the attacker generally has the initiative, thus carrying a small trama kit is for yourself and not for your intended target

10. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

This is the mindset that I grew up with, I was raised on a farm and sometimes carried a 22 with a small kit attached to the stock, just enough to slow bleeding while my father was on his way with a full trauma kit. Nowadays I live in the city and carry a knife on my person, and my first aid kit has enough supplies to treat knife wounds, because in my area that is the most common weapon used in an assault. The philosophy that I grew up with is this; always be prepared, especially to solve any problems you might cause. Basically I try to carry the solution to my problem, if I have a knife, I should be able to fix a knife wound. I also carry a sewing kit in case my knife slips and cuts clothing. I am aware of the fundamental differences between ccw and hunting, but I still believe that a first aid kit is warranted when carrying a firearm, regardless of size, either for yourself, or for those around you.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

We all NEED to believe in something. If that's what YOU believe, I commend you. You have what it takes to be someone that would rather heal than...well, otherwise. May you succeed in what you choose to pursue to make a living.

BE thankful that you have not been in a situation where you have have had to injure someone or take a life for country and community. Some of us have done so. It hasn't been pleasant. Some of us have done what we have been ordered to do so that those like yourself and Weko can do what you believe that you should do that seem to be an opposition to what some of us have done BECAUSE you haven't been in the circumstances that some of us have been in. PRAY that you never need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.