1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC going to get me in hot water.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by VT-aroo, Aug 26, 2011.

1. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Last night I was trapped on USAir’s under ventilated coffins from Phoenix to Reno and we were sitting on the tarmac waiting to go. And the flight attendant was yadda-ing on about turning off the electronic toys. ROW 4 I can see the light! Turn off your electronic devices! (it was my flashlight because their reading light was broken and I did not want to bother her) , but I turned it off ( to preserver freedom and truth for all the other passengers)

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Well it is an electronic device. Do they also insist on people turning their pacemakers off?

3. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

The human body produces electricity. Next time, tell her to turn herself off.

4. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I asked the flight attendant on my last trip to vegas if its okay that my phone be powered on in airplane mode.......she said "no problem"

Your attendant must have been on a power trip, but you did the right thing instead of causing a scene, it certainly wouldn't be worth getting kicked off for arguing.

5. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Mostly I did not realize that flashlights counted or I would have truned it off till we were up.

6. ezeqdb

ezeqdb Loaded Pockets

Technically not:

Electronics is the branch of science, engineering and technology that deals with electrical circuits involving active electrical components such as vacuum tubes, transistors, diodes and integrated circuits.

{...}

Electronics is distinct from electrical and electro-mechanical science and technology, which deals with the generation, distribution, switching, storage and conversion of electrical energy to and from other energy forms using wires, motors, generators, batteries, switches, relays, transformers, resistors and other passive components.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronics

Old incandescent and non-regulated flashlights are not "electronic devices".

7. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Did the flight attendant actually see the flashlight or did they assume the light was being produced by an electronic device's screen?

8. pumbaa

pumbaa Banned

On my last flight to Boston....

I put my solitude ear phones in when I settle in for the flight. These are just like earplugs you wad up and they expand in your ears for 36 db noise reduction.... Did not have them plugged in, but used them as good ear plugs for the moment. I was dozing off and the stewardess tapped me on the shoulder telling me to turn off electronic devices for take off. I can understand that... She thought I was listening to music. I held up the jack end, not plugged into anything... showing her I was NOT listening to anything and I had no electronic device on. She got testy and started speaking loudly. "You cannot have electronic devices". I simply told her again that I am using these as ear plugs, I am not using any electronic device they are stowed for take off as I am going to nap. She insisted, so I pulled them out thinking this chick is a moron, but I need to get to my destination.

It's like zero tolerance rules in schools... Some people just don't get it.

So now I have separate earplugs I carry along with my solitude's.

9. Satanta

Satanta Empty Pockets

Reminds me of the ones who tell me "You can't smoke in here!" when I walk in chewing a cigarrillo.

My mild response always throws them off as I continue walking past.

"It;s not lit."

10. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

just the glow. LED light with fresh batteries.

11. Minifcar

Minifcar Loaded Pockets

Must be one of those radio wave admitting flash lights. I've heard of those! Your light would defiantly interfered with the planes equipment.

I hate that stupid rule. I'm pretty sure I remember a Myth Busters where they debunked the cell phone interfering with flight controls. My friend is a commercial pilot and he says that he and his copilots use their cells in the cockpit all the time for various things. It's all bull.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.994295,-84.396656

12. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Yep, the real issue is that of potentially having the wifi or mobile network radio cause interference in aircraft sensors. Then again, supposedly the aircrafts own strobes may cause interference as well.

It is simply easier to ask people to turn off their devices then ask them to turn of their wireless radios, as people may not be familiar with how to do the latter.

13. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Much with with hospitals, it is a cause of "better safe then sorry". Also, there is that pesky insurance to deal with. Still, more and more airlines are providing some kind of net connection in (long distance) flight.