1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC gear while serving jury duty!

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by TOAD69, Jul 7, 2008.

1. qcicustodes

qcicustodes Empty Pockets

How do you conceal a shotgun? :p

No, but seriously, I agree with you, there is a lot of havoc someone can cause without carrying anything that looks remotely like a weapon to a security check-point.

On my second day of Jury Duty I brought my boxing gear for a class I had right after, they asked me if I was planning on punching the judge but let me bring it all in.

2. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

Specialized shorty shotgun, only holds about 3-4 with one in the pipe. It was only about 18" long. Company owned it and when we got set for duty, one of us signed for it. I was working for a personnel protection agency at the time. Got stabbed 3 months later and could find a reason to put someone elses life above my own :shrug:

3. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

In recent months I've had to make several trips to our federal courthouse (part of the state's superior court building) mostly to deliver stuff to the US Attorney and once for a non-criminal hearing. They hold cell phones at the checkpoint, and on one (and only one) of the visits made me take off my Luminox watch before going through the metal detector. For the hearing, they wouldn't let me take my government laptop in until an attorney signed an OK.

4. Woz

Woz Empty Pockets

I normally carry exactly the same EDC to court I would carry anywhere else. That includes folder, tool and light.

I would not suggest everybody to do so, for my workplace is a jail,and so I do have my "Ministry of Justice" ID card, and I´m well known at this special court - I would not carry knifes to courts I have never been before. My colleagues at the court (here in Austria courts are guarded by the same people that guard prisons) just let me in without problems because they know me.
    When I had to do the controls at the court - what happens about once in two years - I would not let any:

firearms
    knifes
    multitools with blades or sharp edges
    kubatons
    sprays
    solid metal pens
    tactical head lights
    or similar stuff
    ipods, phones or mp3 players (for recordings are not allowed, so we keep devices capable of recording out)

in. I decide in every single case what I think can be harmful - If I´m not sure it´s safe, it stays outside.

A setup I would let in without any doubts is like this:

small light (AAA or 1x CR123 sized or smaller - but I´d check the battery tube!)
    pen with plastik body, if not too massive
    notebook
    laptop (if there is a reason for bringing it to court)
    watch

It´s always the officers decision if your setup is ok, or if it is no-go! in most courts I know there are lockers to keep your no-gos there, so they will await your return there safely. ;)

Woz

BTW: People who want to visit inmates in prison are allowed to bring the same stuff - so "prison visit" edc and court edc can be the same ;) :luck:

PS: People who work in the field of justice or law enforcement are not allowed to be on a jury here - so I do not have any juryexperience.

5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I'm in Jury Duty right now. Our courthouse forbids knives, tools, flashlights, cameras, voice recorders and firearms. Fortunately they didn't take my phone away, even though it is a camera and a voice recorder. I also was able to put a flashlight in my laptop bag and make it through security successfully.

Leaving my Meadowlark and LM P4 behind sucked.

6. WolfAmmoMan

WolfAmmoMan Banned

If Courthouse Security is reading this, there goes your phone ! :lolhammer: :shocked:

7. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Ive posted about this before, but an over-zealous Guard wouldnt let me take my Fauxton into court!!!
    I was supposed to "check it" at Reception but it was busy so I just put it in the zip pocket of my THE Wallet (with the Utilikey & SAK Classic that she'd objected to on previous occasions!!)

When I asked her why I couldnt take it in her reply was "Well, its very bright & you could shine it in someones eyes!!!??"

Madness! :D

8. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

They took all our phones when we went into deliberations. That sucked. It particularly sucked because we should have been able to knock out our verdicts in half an hour, tops, but instead we were in for eight hours.

9. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

When we were in our deliberations, all of our phones were locked in a small safe in the Jury Room