1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Edc gear maintenance

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Kristina Cay, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Kristina Cay

Kristina Cay Loaded Pockets

I'm a fairly new edc'r but I thought I would ask what everyones maintenance routine is, particularly regarding knives, multitools, and flashlights. I mean this stuff is in my pocket everyday, it's going to get beat up! But what are some things you guys do to keep your gear in good working order?

2. balder77

balder77 Uber Prepared

Hey Kristina.
    Use things only when necessary , no playing, messing around or lending to others.Is there a better tool for the task??
    Clean everthing up from time to time.Do some sharpening when necessary. Sometimes a drop of Ballistol.
    Signs of wear are normal, after years of use could get an own atractivity, have a look at a carbon blade with patina!With a stag handle it looks really yummy!
    Beating up? Under circumstances mentioned above and with high quality stuff,imho nearly impossible.
    And if it is beaten up after years of use, perhaps you are in a mood for something new.
    In my case edc became substantial part of my life, an increasing process and a kind of hobby.
    Enjoy!

All the best from Germany,
    Chris

A.B. likes this.
  3. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Sharpen my knife blades every month or so, wipe off my MT when it gets particularly grimy and maybe a spot of oil on the moving parts if it needs it.

I don't carry things that can't handle a beating.

Loc-Nar and A.B. like this.
  4. Craig Grabowsky

Craig Grabowsky Loaded Pockets

Not EDC but I do have a maintenance routine for my guns. Every fourth of July morning I set a table up at the end of my garage and put on some John Philip Souza music and clean all my guns. Some of them haven't been fired all year so I don't get a chance to clean them and this is the chance to make sure they stay ready.

5. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

About once a quarter I go through my bag and review what's had use and what hasn't. With a few I-hope-I-never-use exceptions, if something hasn't been used in a couple of reviews then it gets swapped out for something else that might be more useful. At the same time I brush my SwissChamp in warm water, then dry it, add the tiniest amount of 3-in-1 oil to the joints, and freshen up the edges on a Spyderco Sharpmaker. My Spyderco UKPK gets a drop of oil and the edge freshened to hair-popping sharp. My flashlight and headlamp get their batteries checked.

Anything else gets replaced or topped up the evening after it's been used. If blades get noticeably dulled then they get freshened up.

6. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Usually I don't care about any piece of gear if I don't use, except the rechargeable batteries that I have, I only refresh the cheap AAA and AA about twice a year, but the higher quality (ans some protected) 18650 I first drain them, than recharge them fully, 2-3 times a year. I don't oil knives that I don't use because I know that they lay in dark, dry places such as boxes, bags, drawers etc. and don't let myself have a dull or near dull knife, I always strop any knife after I use and keep them shaving sharp. Also I clean the o-rings on my EDC flashlights and put grease on them.

A.B. likes this.
  7. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

My knives see heavy use so I mainly keep them stropped, until they need to be sharpened. Unless it's needed, I go light on oiling moving parts seeing as less used items collect more lint, dust, debris, etc.. when they're not used. But preventative maintenance goes along way. If you have lights with batteries in them for extended periods of time, check for corrosion, leaking, etc.. I always keep spare batteries with me just in case.

"Cooler than a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce."

8. shane hughes

shane hughes Loaded Pockets

What makes a good folding knife lubricant ?.I was thinking of getting 3 in 1.

9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I cycle batteries, sharpen/clean knives and vacuum my bags when i feel it's time to do so or when there's a good reason for it. No set maintenance schedule. The only thing that really regularly gets done are my leather shoes/boots.

10. Westerdutch

I prefer using stuff that's food safe.

11. Hi-up Lineman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hi-up Lineman Loaded Pockets

Frog Lube works wonders and it tastes minty fresh . ;)

Maave likes this.
  12. Westerdutch

I'm invested in ballistol quite a bit, bought a 1l bottle and i seriously think it will last me a lifetime. Not officially food safe but i trust it enough for most of my knives, pure food knives get mineral oil.

13. Hussar305

Hussar305 Loaded Pockets

Clean the knives and watch whenever they look like they need it. I'll usually just wait until the flashlight batteries are dead to replace those

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Guido Nova likes this.
  14. Datu

Datu Loaded Pockets

I'm usually pretty junkie, so. Clean out my bag weekly, weapons I clean twice a year, or after each firing, the knives I send to Josh at Razoredge for sharpening. I do have a sharpener, a worksharp, but only do the kitchen knives and chisels. I'm not brave enough to sharpen an EDC knife.

15. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I carry alot of different knives. I choose my daily carry knife from from six or seven favorites for the front pocket, plus I always have another half dozen or so in the bag...plus one on the keychain, plus a couple more in the BOB that rides in the trunk. When all the ones that I carry in my pocket are not really sharp anymore, about every three to six months or so, I take an afternoon to sharpen and clean all the knives. For some of them, like the ones in the BOB that probably never even got used it's just a quick inspection, test sharpness by shaving a bit of my thigh, and back into the sheath. (I also use this opportunity to sharpen all the kitchen knives too) I also go through the multitools and give them a little TLC. All told I'll spend maybe six hours sharpening, cleaning, and lubricating. (Mineral oil for pretty much all lubricating and my favorite cleaner is lighter fluid...mostly because it's usually handy)

Every year at least, plus anytime we are about to take a road trip, I go through the first aid supplies. (Some in EDC bag, some in BOB.) Shuffle stuff that is about to expire into the medicine cabinet and restock as needed. I also switch out battery cells in my flashlights at this time. (I use rechargeables, and carry multiple flashlights: an AA light that is the one most often used, a couple AAA lights for backup, and a 3AAA Rayovac if I need a larger light.) If a battery ever dies while in use I just grab another light, and switch out the drained batteries when I get back home, but all batteries get switched out at least once a year. I also go through anything else in the BOB, and clean/replace as needed.

As far as the other EDC stuff like phone, watch, magical talismans, bandanna, etc. It gets cleaned as needed. (Bandannas are one day use items.)

Grizz

I forgot to add, the only items in my pants pockets are a knife, the zippo of the day, a bandanna, keys, and wallet. Phone and pen in shirt pocket. Zippo, bandanna, then keys in left. They don't really hit each other and get damaged with the cushioning of the bandanna. Knife and wallet in right front. everything else in the EDC bag; like flashlights, multi tools, etc. I keep everything in organizers in the bag. Some of my stuff like my leatherman wave is approaching twenty years old, has been well used, but also well cared for. The main signs of wear are how easily the tools open. (With the exception of the slight twist in the large standard screwdriver blade.)

Grizz

#15 gdwtvb, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  16. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

I started keeping my sharpening stone by the sink to encourage me to sharpen. More convenient, more likely to use it. So then I just sharpen every couple weeks, use a rod if the edge is rolled. If I grab a different knife from the pile I'll check it on paper before carrying it. I'll clean it before and after cutting food (don't want to leave acidic residue on the blade) and clean it after getting sticky tape crap on it. Only time a folder has shown rust was when I didn't rinse it after cutting an apple.

I haven't had to do any maintenance on flashlights aside swap batteries.

Heck yeah, this is my favorite for knives. Heat liquefies it so I can be lazy and apply it without disassembling. 3-in-1 smells up my hands and pockets. Dry film (teflon) lubricant works pretty well too but the white film is kinda ugly (side note, it works wonders on locks).

Hi-up Lineman likes this.
  17. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

In general, my main maintenance chore is to periodically go through pockets, pouches, and bags and get rid of accumulated trash and tools that don't justify their own weight/bulk.

More specifically, I do check my flashlight periodically to make sure the batteries haven't leaked. at some point I want to move to lithium batteries exclusively so I don't have to worry about this.

I also go over pocketknives periodically. I dig out the pocket lint with a toothpick then oil the joints and sharpen as necessary.

NOTE: Use a metal hone to straighten the edge before you try to take metal off with a sharpening stone. A hone won't remove metal and will make your blade last longer. After honing the blade, I strop it if necessary to see if I can get a good edge on it. The sharpening stones and rods only come out if the blade is seriously dull.

18. A-MAC

A-MAC Banned

I sharpen/clean knives as needed.

Same with MultiTools.

Every so often I disassemble flashlights and clean all the threads, mating surfaces and contacts with alcohol and a q tip. Then I apply new dielectric grease to orings and threads.

Moshe ben David likes this.