1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Gear: Is Black Friday or Cyber Monday really all they're cracked up to be?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by xevious, Nov 27, 2019.

1. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Many years ago, before Cyber Monday appeared, I had gone to take advantage of Black Friday deals from time to time. But I stopped going, because I concluded that the whole spectacle is a ruse. The really good stuff doesn't get a massive discount. Only the lesser things do... to entice attention so that you might buy some more expensive stuff that's on sale, but not amazingly so.

Is that happening with the Black Friday & Cyber Monday of today? After looking at what EDC gear tends to sell for this time of year, I'm starting to think that they aren't so great after all. I have gotten great deals on things at other times during the year. Yeah, maybe there will be that one item that ends up with a little more discount on Cyber Monday, but weighing in all the time spent to track that down... doesn't feel like such a marked improvement.

Anyone here agree?

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

yep. I put much value on my time. It ain't worth it.
    Actually, there is almost no days I'm less likely to go shopping for anything. Days like Black Friday etc. just brings out a less flattering side of humans. It's a display of consumerism on a sickening level.
    Now, this might be a bold statement being part of this gadget oriented community, but I do truly believe that my EDC/outdoor/sports related purchases are mostly purposeful, deliberate and function driven. I'm not as much motivated by fashion or price. There is absolutely room for improvement, and I'm working on that.

Side note / confession: as cyber monday and black friday has further evolved to cyber week and black week, I was much tempted by an offer that I received on e-mail yesterday. It was a very in-my-face-hard-to-miss offer that I subconsciously picked up from the brief preview (so I wasn't technically spending time looking), but there it was - a brand new Spyderco Meerkat HAP40 sprintrun, on sale, from a dealer that some how still had it in stock. Surely this was an unlikely event that I hadn't planned for. (Stupid?) me not wanting to jump into an unplanned purchase had to think this thru. And surely it was out of stock before I reached a conclusion. In retrospect, there was probably no risk involved in buying such a rare item, but at least I passed the "impulse control test"

3. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Olightworld

4. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

They don't have a shopping cart on that site any longer. Last year I did pick up a couple of Olight i1R key chain flashlights, one for myself and another for a friend. $6.75 each, shipped. It's a great little light. Proprietary battery, but then it's kind of a disposable light.

EDIT: Ah, now I see. It's OlightStore.com. Free i1R flashlight. $5 shipping. Not bad, as it's a terrific key chain light.

Last edited by xevious, Nov 29, 2019
    #4 xevious, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  5. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

My rule for Black Friday/ cyber Monday is only target specific stuff you’ve been having an eye on for a while which you know what the regular price is, don’t knee jerk buy stuff.

6. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Never done Black Friday, or Cyber Monday.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I hit Battery Junction Wednesday, will do that from now on.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Yup. And its not just this time of year. I cruise a few knife sites pretty often. Most of the so-called sales items really aren't. Prices on most items are constant; and same from site to site. Every once in a while though.... ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Busmech and xevious like this.
  9. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

It's worth-it, if you realize a substantial-savings on an item you really want. I jumped on a tool-set from KC Tools, who specialize in euro-brand tools. I don't see a dedicated hand-tool thread on this site, so I'll post-it here. To make a long-story short, I ordered a set of Felo 1/4" Torx-bits for my knives. Originally priced at $121.22, and on-sale for $76.32. Got a 20% discount-code with free-shipping: final cost $61.00 dollars.

[​IMG]