1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC for the man in the suit

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by loobcom, Mar 26, 2014.

1. loobcom

loobcom Loaded Pockets

Work dictates that I must wear a suit, and I've yet to find a suit that has pockets robust enough to carry even the lightest EDC. So I have a problem.

My EDC consists of

Smartphone
    4" Folding knife
    Leatherman squirt
    Tactical pen
    2 x AA form factor flashlight
    Earphones
    Rubin & Zoon 10x loupe
    watchmakers screw drivers
    2 pairs lindstrom pliers

Any suggestion how I might carry this small collection without compromising the cut of my jib?

2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wear a suit to work every day. I carry a little kit in a mini cigar tin. They are thinner then altoids tins so they print less. My keys and phone are on my belt. I usually don't like stuff on my belt but my jacket covers it. My wallet and 2xCR123 flashlight go in my right front pants pocket. The light is a little heavier then I would like in suit pants but I haven't upgraded yet. If I was allowed to carry a folder I would suspend my Alox sak in my left pants pocket. My tac pen goes in the right inside breast pocket with a small notebook. The tin mentioned earlier goes in the left inside breast pocket. Hankie goes in left back pocket and that's about it for me. I hope that gives you some ideas.
    Looking at what you carry I would actually recommend an organizer like one of the maxpedition ones. If you want something fancier Arch Robin sells leather good through the forum store and might be able to custom make you the perfect piece. Good luck!

3. greenwasabi

greenwasabi Loaded Pockets

robust pockets as in your carry items wears a hole through them or the jacket starts sagging noticeably?

the first one you can generally solve with buying suits in a dollar range where they use cloth constructed pockets instead of the more flimsy rayon / polyester material.

the second can be solved by finding suit coats that are half / full canvased construction instead of fused, and tailoring that follows the torso as opposed to a more boxy Jos. A Banks type cut.

b.s. likes this.
  4. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

I have a similiar setup and I split the load between pockets and briefcase. In your case, a thick padfolio or ultra thin portfolio might also work:
    Pockets:Cell phone, pen, squirt, 1xaaa light, note pad,
    Tool/pencil pouch in briefcase: 3/6/9 magnifier, inspection mirror, measuring tape, feeler gauge, grease pencils, machinists scale, bit driver, slip joint pliers, olfa knife.
    In briefcase directly: 2xAA light, pocket precision bit driver.

5. loobcom

loobcom Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys! I've started to think along the lines of a shoulder holster type setup, worn under the jacket. I've already see some low quality products on ebay, but have yet to find anything of quality. I envision something with a slim profile, made of leather, with various slots and pouches. I wouldn't want to EDC a maxpedition type product - too bulky.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

6. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I wear a suit to work every day. If you organize it well, you can carry more gear than you think.

In my left front pocket, I carry this organizer:
    [​IMG]
    The items wrapped in tape are spare batteries for the flashlights. And the back is made of two pieces of velcro stuck together, to hold flat items (spare keys and cash) between them.

In my left rear pocket, I carry this organizer:
    [​IMG]
    Though the Fuse has been replaced by a Rebar.

Right rear pocket holds large Saddleback bifold wallet, with cash, cards, small notebook, Pocket Tool X Piranha, safety pins, paper clips, and hair ties.

Right front holds my primary folding knife (usually some BM, 941D2CF is my office knife) and keys with LM Style, Uncle Bills Sliver Grippers, Fauxton, and Tweezerman folding nail clippers.

On my belt, IWB:
    [​IMG]
    with spare mag on the other side.

This is the same EDC no matter what I'm wearing or where I'm going (except no pistol in the office). And this is done with no jacket, bag, shirt pockets, or cargo pockets.

The only things that won't fit in my pants (when I'm not wearing cargos) are my phone and electronic cigarettes, which go in a jacket pocket for 3 seasons, and a Skinth when it's hot, and my sunglasses, which go in a jacket pocket or bag when I have one, and don't have a good place to go otherwise.

Your EDC is a bit different than mine, but if i can carry all this stuff, you can find a system for your gear.

I did buy a shoulder holster wallet pouch thing a few years ago. It was made of cheap leather, and, while it could carry a good amount of stuff, I never could get it to hang right or comfortably. I wouldn't recommend buying anything similar unless you can try it on in person first.

SAKplumber likes this.
  7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Zero Halliburton 3" Carbon Fiber Attache.... carbon + red leather *drools*.

Then get a sony SBH52 to put in your pocket instead of the big smartphone so youll still be able to answer calls in a sec (or listen to music for that matter). When wearing a proper slim tailored suit you want to be carrying as little junk as possible, suitcase (or bag if you are going for the rad hipster look) will help you do this without gimping what you can actually carry too much. Suitcase simply also gives you the opportunity to carry a bit more, like a nice fold-up umbrella or a spare shirt.

8. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

What is your budget? If you're willing to get a bit spendy give a look at Dragonthorn Leatherworks PCS. Dave will custom design something that meets your needs. He made my wallet/organizer that holds cards, Preon 1, Fisher bullet, Ronson jet lighter and SAK Rambler all in a footprint that is not much larger than a Saddleback small wallet. It took a bit of time and wasn't cheap but it is custom work and I am SO happy with the result. Dave really works with you to ensure that your project is exactly what you want.

9. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

My quick fix:

• Drop the huuuuge folder, Squirt, pliers and screw drivers and get a smallish multitool with a bit kit. My suggestion would be the Skeletool. If you want something beefier, get the Wave (or the Charge Ti for lower weight).
    • Swap the tactical pen for a "normal" pen such as a Zebra or a Parker Jotter (smaller and lighter)
    • Get a 1xAA flashlight with a good clip, or perhaps a 2xAAA to replace the 2xAA.

Of course, I do not know exactly what kind of work you do, so this might not suit your needs. On the other hand, I have never come across a job that requires both a suit, a huge folder, and standalone screw drivers and pliers to be carried on person.

Also, my solution means you will have to buy some new gear. However, you can get a good multitool, a really nice flashlight and a beautiful, sturdy pen for way less than the cost of a Nielsen...

kertap75 likes this.
  10. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

^^^This. If I am wearing a suit, I am probably meeting with customers in a hospital environment and have no need for a large folder, pliers, (tools in general) or anything else.

I don't carry as much when wearing a suit (like this week). I guess I don't carry as much as a lot of you in general though.. :)
    wallet - left front pocket
    Pen - inside left jacket pocket (or shirt pocket)
    Karh PM9 - IWB at about 2 o'clock position (Stays Put holster)
    SAK Classic, carmex & phone - right front

Keys, maxped micro (small pen, paracord wad, small notebook, glasses cleaning cloth, Fenix E05, 6 ibuprofen, hand sanitizer, small Bic, extra AAA battery) go into my laptop bag. Since I am never far from my laptop bag, I dump the 'just in case' stuff in there and not think twice about it.

11. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Technical professional (Engineering, Manufacturing, and IT) and company technical representatives (dealing with Engineering, Manufacturing, and IT personell) jobs often require corporate dress, but a certain amount of hands on work. Tool availability can be spotty and specialized tools, like a loupe, are non-existent.

kertap75 likes this.
  12. bjoseph725

bjoseph725 Loaded Pockets

this is a great thread. I spend most of my week in business casual, which is a catch 22. It is nice that I am not required to wear a jacket, but the jacket does offer more carry options. It is also tough to conceal a handgun with a shirt tucked in and no jacket.

mevsme likes this.
  13. B.Haven

B.Haven Loaded Pockets

I'm business casual or suit everyday... pockets contain keys, wallet, knife, space pen, and phone... everything else is in my bag and close by.

Most of us carry an EDC bag anyway, may as well use it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

14. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Defy Bags makes a small pack called the Bucktown that wouldn't look out of place with a suit. They also make shoulder bags that would work of various sizes.