1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC for High School

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by ?uesto, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I'm starting school tomorrow, and I'd like to hear some suggestions.

First off, I'm trying to decide a bag. I need to bring my laptop, (which stays in my car), my EDC bag, (as of now, it's a Maxped Sitka), and my school bag, (regular Jansport). I think I'm going to keep my stuff in their current bags, but would anyone recommend putting the laptop in the Sitka, or swapping the Sitka and the Jansport? Any tips on this would be great.

Next, what should I keep with me, and what should I keep in my car? The parking lot is a good, 400-700 yards from my building, depending on what class I'm in. This is what I have so far:

Jansport Backpack (with me at all times, but subject to search)
    -Regular schools supplies
    ----Books, Notebooks, binders, etc.
    ----Pens, Pencils, Erasers, Highlighters & Sharpies
    ----Reading Glasses
    ----Recreational Magazines
    -Small First Aid Kit
    ----Band-Aids
    ----Alcohol Swabs
    ----Antiseptic Wipes
    ----Hand Sanitizer
    ----Antibiotic Ointment
    ----Clean Towelettes
    -Worst Case Survival Hand Book :)
    -Tissues

My Sitka which will remain in the trunk. On/in it, there is my leatherman, paracord, iPod/phone chargers, another small first aid kit, electrical tape, Surefire light, and a small Gerber knife, hidden away.

The laptop bag has pretty much everything else. More flashlights, digital point and shoot camera, assorted cords & plugs, headphone splitters & jacks, memory sticks, & memory stick readers.

If I can get some more suggestions, that would be awesome. Thanks!

*EDIT*

Hey! My 100th post!

2. eeph

eeph Empty Pockets

On the assumption that blades are a problem, how about a Knifeless Fuse? Then you have a multi-tool you can use openly.

3. sklnxbones

sklnxbones Loaded Pockets

Yeah as much as I hate to say it... you need to leave the Leatherman at home... even if its in the trunk of your car, if the car is on school property it can cause you problems.

Most schools have a ZERO tolerance for weapons, and unfortunately the schools deem a multi-tool as a WEAPON.

As far as the Laptop... My personal opinion for MY laptop is... IT ALWAYS WITH ME, PERIOD! I guess I am just paranoid but I cannot afford to replace my laptop if it got stolen. If you can, keep it with you at all times... Don't you need it for your classes?

You also might want to add some aspirin or ibuprofen... BUT make sure you keep it in the ORIGINAL BOTTLE with the label on it.

Not sure what the school lockers are like now-a-days... But a GOOD lock is a MUST, a magnetic stick on mirror (you gotta look sharp for the ladies right), an extra deodorant, breath mints, hair brush, write your class schedule in your notebook and again in your locker (the first few days I always forgot which class I was supposed to be in...), write your locker number and combo down and keep it in your wallet, a roll of quarters in your locker or backpack for vending machines or copy machines or pay phones (in case you need to call the MOM and tell her you forgot your homework... again) some schools don't allow cell phones on campus or at least INSIDE the class rooms... you should check out the cell phone policy. You might want to consider a small key chain flashlight, we used to turn off the lights when guys were in the restroom... no fun trying to do your business in the DARK.

Can you tell I have been out of school for almost 25 years.... crap I feel old now...

That should give you a start at least... Once you get into a routine you will see what other items you will need/want on a daily basis...

Let us know how it goes

4. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Why are you bringing your laptop if it just stays in the car? Why bother - it might be stolen, and it could get damaged from excessive heat.
    You probably don't need a first aid kit, unless you yourself get cut a lot. Let the school nurse handle it. Call 911 if it's serious. Are you allowed phones in school?

When I was in high school I carried a proto mini-screwdriver, which would now be a prybar of some sort. I would also carry a small, cheap flashlight, a handkerchief, and hand sanitizer. I'll bet the hand sanitizer sees a lot of use.

Minimize! Let the school district handle all but the most elementary problems.

5. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Empty Pockets

For on person carry you can still take many useful items without risking being expelled or getting into trouble with your school board.

-Medium sized flashlight
    -Phone/Ipod/Electronic Devices (Most schools allow use, just not during class)
    -Tactical Pen/Marker and Other writing instruments
    -USB Flash Drive
    -Graphing Calculator
    -Paracord
    -Pocket Screwdriver

As for the stuff hidden in your car, you should be okay just make sure you don't tell anyone you dont trust that it is in there. All is takes is one person to slip and someone else to hear and you could be out of the school district. Happened in my area last year, a kid who had a box cutter in his car, because he used it for work at a grocery store got expelled from district for life. Just be sure your up to date on your school's policies.

6. Mitchell

Mitchell Loaded Pockets

A couple of notes from things that have happened around here. A number of schools have a zero tolerance policy toward drugs ... that includes all drugs, even aspirin. Be sure you're allowed to have whatever you're carrying. Stupid I know, but thems the rules, at least some places.

And I know when I was in school, putting your own lock on your locker was just asking to have it cut off. And probably a police search of the locker as well. Again, check what's allowed.

7. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

zero tolerance for blades, zero tolerance for medications of any sort, zero tolerance for adult behavior - leave the stuff at home until you graduate, and are treated as the mature individual that many are not.

You probably won't need the tools, and you certainly don't need the authoritarian controls, the zero tolerance, and the necessity of being paranoid about your posessions. Don't get weighed down by things - you are just passing through.

8. onikage

onikage Loaded Pockets

I'd suggest a minimalistic approach here. It's just high school after all and the zero tolerance policies are swift. Even carrying a screwdriver can get you in trouble. I'd also suggest leaving that laptop at home if you aren't using it in your classes. It's just going to get stolen after the first time you utter to someone that it stays in your car. I don't know where you go to school, but 10 years ago when I was in high school (LOL!), stuff got stolen all the time. Maybe I just went to a ghetto school.

9. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

No: Blades, multitools, screwdrivers, "pointy" anything, don't even bother with your laptop unless you go to a private school, because it will get stolen, or you will get robbed, NO PILLS, you have a *whatever*ache go to the medic in your school, if you don't have one then tough luck, but you dont want to get caught with any pills even Tylenol, Advil ect

just use some common sence and you should be fine

good luck in school,

Tango191

10. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

So, the only EDC is common sense. That puts you ahead of the game.

11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I would agree re: the laptop - why carry it and leave it in your car? I would either leave it at home where it should be more secure, or keep it on your person so you always know where it is and have it ready to use.

The usual school books, stationary, calculator are pretty much a standard, though I would be tempted to pack a reserve - a spare pad of paper and a few pens for when your run out or whatever.

School policies will prevent you from carrying most of your tools, so you will have to ditch the leatherman or other tools in favour of dealing with whatever has come loose or passing the issue along to the janitors and techs, same for first aid - beyond a few antiseptic wipes and plasters, anything more serious will probably go through a nurse though I do remember a few people keeping the small individual blister packs of paracetamol with them.

I would still carry a flashlight, but I would probably swap a Surefire for something significantly cheaper like a Fenix e01 - something that won't be as much of a worry if lost or stolen...
    Similarly I would probably stick to the Jansport bag for the sole reason that it will blend in more - carry a bag that stands out and it is much more likely to end up getting hidden or nicked out of mischief...

12. xtremes

xtremes Empty Pockets

when i was in school they would let me carry a folding non locking small frame knife, (like a swiss classic) only because i was in auto mech. and electrical shop. to skin wire only. but it shure come in handy having it all the time. times have changed tho now i was in high school 12 yrs ago. a flashlight is a must (for me).

13. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

for me it is just the basics, that wont get me kicked out.
    - 4sevens 123^2 and 2 spare batts'
    - stanley 4-in-1 screw driver
    - cell phone and spare batt'
    - disposible lighter ( If found they will just make you toss it)
    - keys with a p38 can opener
    -10ft or so of 550
    -roll of e-tape

all that plus books and other normal school stuff

14. seeker_two

seeker_two Loaded Pockets

Check you school rules about scissors. If they're OK, get a Leatherman Squirt w/ scissors and have the knife blade ground off. It makes for a handy tool....and the scissors will end up more useful than a knife blade in school, anyway...