1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC for Church

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by porkchop, Mar 11, 2008.

1. goforbroke

goforbroke Loaded Pockets

My best friend works security at the biggest church in Philly. I began to question and laugh at him when he told me that some of the security guards actually carry while at church. Then he broke it down to me and said out of the 10-15K members that attend the church on Sunday what if they all donated $20 each in the offering. Obviously that would be a large sum of money. They even caught a guy recording the offering with a mini camcorder not to long ago. I go to the church for bible study during the week and its always packed. I don't carry at church.

2. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

I had forgotten that I started this thread.
    Here's my church EDC: Bible, pen, pencil, wallet, keys, red Alox Cadet, handkerchief, and an umbrella if rain is in the forecast.
    Nothing unusual here would be my normal EDC if I added a couple of Spyderco Enduras.

3. HumeMan

HumeMan Empty Pockets

http://www.renaissance-art.com/images/products/alternateviews/Book_Pouch_inout_snap.jpg

Renaissance-Art.com

I just bought the last Bible I will probably ever own, and I want to keep it safe with style.

I don't really like the cases with zippers. I do like however, the rustic brown leather pouch from Renaissance Art. I want something very similar to the picture above. Does anyone have a suggestion.

I've spent some time on google, and can't believe this is the only company to make something like this.

4. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

phone, knife (either lock blade or SAK,*utility purpose only), flashlight, (sometimes if I am in the mood) a leatherman skeletool, wallet, watch and a Bible... Thats about it. If I was walking to church I might have my iPod, however I typically will just use my phone with some music on it.

5. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

My EDC:

Bible
    Knife
    Wallet
    Gum
    Keys
    iPhone
    Multitool
    Light

Maxped Jumbo in car if needed, goes with me everywhere

Wait ... This doesnt change from my everyday EDC, lol

6. mfmendiola

mfmendiola Empty Pockets

work and church is thesame so i carry thesame EDC...

7. DaveL

DaveL Empty Pockets

Fascinating!
    My issue--different EDC weekends than workdays; I don't transition well so I'm here to get ideas.
    I have a photogtraphy business that I limit to weekends. I need an "organizer" that can go from my week day case, to my weekend case.
    Pens/flashlight (Leatherman now)/swiss army knife/P&S camera/spyderco)
    DaveL

8. Smousefam5

Smousefam5 Loaded Pockets

AMEN! There are times when my Colt 1991a1 Compact is in a crossbreed tuckable holster when I preach. I preach in jeans (it IS Idaho!) so my pockets contain exactly the same items every day of the week...Maratac AAA and Kershaw Scallion in the watch pocket and some form of lip balm in front left pocket, keys in front right. Wallet and cell phone in back pockets unless I have a sportcoat on. Fully stocked Blackhawk Battle Bag is stowed in my office.

alessandro.salvi and Gary Gross like this.
  9. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

I'm told that our cousins across the pond don't really get irony. Please tell me that you're talking about church, and carrying knives, phones and the like with big grins on your faces... Really? You're either paranoid or you have no faith in the power of God, in which case, why go to church!?!?!?

Genuinely serious here.

10. Smousefam5

Violence at churches is increasing around the nation, divorces get messes, disgruntled spouses look at churches as an easy place to take a child etc etc...we have done extensive security research for churches. Faith in God doesn't mean passivity. I can't go into specifics about situations in some of our people's lives. Care for the flock isn't just spiritual.

I carry a knife for non-defensive purposes and it gets used pretty much every weekend.

The church buildings don't have magical powers. We aren't dealing with vampires. Evil people have access to churches like any other place in society. If we prepare for the unexpected Mon-Sat, why not Sunday, too?

If it is a "faith" issue then we shouldn't care about EDC...ever

11. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

OK, but this stuff stays in the car, right? I mean, you're not all tooled up in church are you? Sorry, I just find this almost as crazy as the guys who pick up a torch and knife when they go to the loo at night!

12. Smousefam5

Not much use in the car. The car is too far away. I HAVE had to use a light on the can before though! My bag does stay in my office and it isnt an arsenal. It contains the normal stuff of everyday life. If you saw me on a Sunday you wouldn't have a clue.

13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Why wouldn't you carry your normal EDC to church? I see it as no different from your EDC when you go to the shops, work, zoo or museum... Presumably most people want their EDC when travelling anywhere, they may be going out for lunch or to other places afterwards, or even just for all the wee EDC tasks that you will find in the church as well as elsewhere (culling loose threads, cleaning your nails, finding dropped items under your seat and whatever else you use it for).

It does amuse me (admittedly as a non-church goer) that people somehow see going to church as not appropriate for carrying EDC, while they doggedly carry everywhere else...

alessandro.salvi and Gary Gross like this.
  14. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Bible, highlighter, notepad...;D

...and my regular EDC which are just as useful to me at church, as they are at home, at work, in the community, on vacation, etc. About the only place I might adjust my EDC a bit, is if I were going to spend a signficant amount of time in the woods.

15. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

;D "...every where that BSF went, his Utility belt was sure to go." :crackup:

16. irgun37

irgun37 Loaded Pockets

My edc to church is the same as my edc everywhere else.
    ...even down to that thing that contains those little containers of gun powder forced projectiles.

17. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I don't get why you use the word 'irony' here. If carrying a gun/knife or whatever is part of your daily life, then why not in church, mosque or synagogue?

alessandro.salvi likes this.
  18. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

You don't get irony? A traffic jam, when you're already late. A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break. Going to church (God saves all) with a combat knife down your sock, or a 9mm tucked into your jeans....That's ironic, oui?

ironic - dry: humorously sarcastic or mocking; "dry humor"; "an ironic remark often conveys an intended meaning obliquely"

I'm going to back out of this one as I can see I'm the only person that thinks it's weird to carry a gun or knife to church. I'm sure everyone has their reasons and needs.

19. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

@Aphex2k
    I'm not trying to be funny, but what is ironic about taking your usual edc to a building on a Sunday? Do you have information we don't? Or do you have magic powers or divine protection? Why wouldn't you carry your usual gear? Would you take it to the dentist or to the zoo? Same thing. I think your use of the word 'ironic' is a little off the mark. Enough said. No more from me.

20. GrayShadows

GrayShadows Loaded Pockets

I am sorry but I would carry at church, do you think just because you don't think violence will happen in a building that a killer would not? Not everyone respects a place of faith. I wish you well and God bless.