1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC food ideas?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by SpacemanSpiff23, Jan 19, 2010.

1. SpacemanSpiff23

SpacemanSpiff23 Loaded Pockets

I'd like to throw some snacks in my maxped Jumbo. Not a full MRE or anything, just some light snacks incase I get the munchies. Any good/interesting recommendations?

So far all I can think of is Some Clif Bars, and some almonds. Maybe a Snickers bar or something.

2. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

I usually carry granola bars and beef jerky. I also have some protein bars, those last a long time since I don't care for them. Hard candy is easy to carry, you can eat it discretely at a meeting, and it doesn't melt as easily as chocolate. (I once had chocolate melt in a backpack, I'm not going through that again.) Try shopping the supermarket aisle that stocks school lunch items for children, I imagine its full of small snack type items that will safely fit in your pack.

3. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Also peanuts (or nuts of any kind), "trail mix", packaged tuna/chicken salad and cracker combos, packaged cheese & cracker snacks, dried fruit, boxes of raisins, fruit cups, possibly some M&Ms if you really need a chocolate fix. Packets of soup (Lipton Cup-a-soup) or instant oatmeal, if you have a source of boiling water.

I noticed that my grocery store has started selling boxes of Ritz crackers containing smaller packages of 16 crackers per pack. One can combine these with the peanut butter, tuna, canned ham/chicken salad (Underwood), whatever will spread.

I try to pick things that won't wilt in high temperatures as my bag sits in my truck much of the time during summer. Just FYI: Power Bars do get squishy when it's hot out (at least the ones I tried).

4. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Trail mix and jerky. Granola bars and the like turn to dust in short order.

5. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

A lot depends on where you're located. I know what's on the shelves in the US but not so much other countries and I didn't see your location listed.

If you are in the US. The now make so many cookies and crackers in the little '100 calorie' packs. There are several different crackers done this way that would be a great quick snack. And of course the cookies if you have a sweet tooth. The only bad thing about these would be they might get a little broken up if they remain in your edc for too long. There are also small cans of tuna salad with a little cup of crackers on top in the tuna/canned meat isles that are small and make a great quick snack/lunch.

6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Clif bars work well for me, both in the heat and in the cold, as long as I rotate them every few months or so. So do the Kashi GoLean Crunchy bars.

7. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  8. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Amazon has boxes of Clif Bars, a while back, their 20-count (I believe) variety pack box came out to be roughly $1.50 per bar, and had free shipping.

[Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Clif-Bar-Variety-Chocolate-2-4-Ounce/dp/B000UXNYPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1263918071&sr=8-1 <-- 24-count box variety pack for $26.59, which averages to $1.11 per bar; free super saver shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=mozilla-20&index=blended&link_code=qs&field-keywords=clif%20bar&sourceid=Mozilla-search <-- other flavors and options.]

:)

9. DerekH

DerekH Loaded Pockets

Having lived out of the stuff in my go bag before, here is what I have always enjoyed.

1. Beef Jerky (I like the really thick hearty pieces, and my favorite is when I get hooked up with some deer jerky)
    2. Granola Bars (I personally like the Nature Valley Yogurt covered ones, the Vanilla are my faves)
    3. Gardettos

Now for something a bit more substantial, I always have my Guyot Squishy bowl and a can of soup (usually minestrone or bean and bacon). I also love those little kid lunchables things, though they don't keep real well in a plain bag.

And the weirdest thing I have ever had, but fairly versatile, is dried ramen, crumbled up in a ziplock bag, with all the seasoning packet sprinkled in there. Mixed up the seasoning packet will cover the dried noodles, and they are pretty tasty like that, but if you have access to a watercooler that has heated water, or a coffee pot, you can dump a cup of hot water in there, seal it up, let it set for a bit, then eat some cooked ramen.

10. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I carry a couple of the Quaker "Chewy" oatmeal raisin granola bars. Compared them recently with the Nature Valley bars (also Quaker) and they looked identical nutritionally (90 cal./bar, no sat. fat or transfat), guess it just depends on which you prefer. They seem to travel well, never had the "turn to dust" problem.

Weird? Somehow I missed out on these in college (where they appear to be a staple). Tried them for the first time a couple years ago and liked them. Dirt cheap, travel well, and near infinite shelf life. Mixing them with water in a baggie is a good idea :)doh: why didn't I think of that?).

11. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I EDC in my pack a small bottle of water - non-carbonated non-flavored mineral water, the smallest size - 0.25 liter. Of course not enough to fix a hydration problem, I never use those bottles just to drink. Even that little but will enable you, in a pinch, to take meds (especially those in powder form), to turn a rag into a smoke/dust filter, well, there's lots of uses for water and/or a PET bottle.

12. DerekH

DerekH Loaded Pockets

The weird bit was eating them dry, just crumbled up with the seasonings. I think they are pretty tasty that way, but you can still add hot water if you need to and it is already ready to go.

13. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

14. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

Those are great! I get them from my local Sam's Club (wholesale warehouse-type place).

If anyone has a Whole Foods grocery store locally, you can get almost any flavor Clif Bar for around a buck a piece. The Blueberry Crisp Clif Bars are my favorite! ;D

I always carry a few Clif bars and a few of the small Slim Jim sticks.

15. R.ticle One

R.ticle One Empty Pockets

I always have two Klean Kanteen bottles of water with me; I try to maintain a few Vega or LaraBar bars, but end up eating them instead of stashing them for when I need them! I'm working on that, though. I'd like to make my own protein bars to always have something long lasting on hand (have some food allergies, so commercial ones with lots of soy and whey aren't the best for me)...and I have thought about making pemmican/jerky, some dehydrated fruits/veggies, etc.

I think it never hurts to have a bit of extra food on hand. Doesn't need to be tons, taking up much space, but a few calories and nutrients can go a long way in an unexpected situation.

16. jehan60188

also, tuna
    those single-serve foil packets
    carry some crackers and a packet of mayo (or of tartar sauce), and you'll have a filling, delicious meal

or spam singles
    then you just need a packet of ketchup

17. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

As an avid cyclist, I keep plenty of gel packs on hand. After much trial and error I finally came across a brand I LOVE:
    Cranksports E-Gel

All the flavors are great except the Cherry Bomb (tastes like cough syrup). I keep a few extra of these on hand in the car and a couple in my briefcase. What I like about the gel is that is gets rid of the hunger without filling you up. Just gets you to the next meal. Then of course, I also use them when I ride ;D

Note: I also keep a small zip lock bag with any of the food I keep in case I cannot find a trash can for the waste. The last thing I want is a briefcase of sticky gel oozing from an "empty" pack.

18. jehan60188

I've been bike-commuting this week (car's in the shop); it's only a 15 mile ride, so energy isn't a huge issue, but i've started my day with a peanut butter + nutella sandwich on a whole wheat english muffin, and half a cup of eggnog (130 calories in the 'nog alone!). that, coupled with one nuun tablet is enough to keep me going through the ride.

when I'm out on long rides, I usually pack nuun tabs, and peanut butter (since it's pretty energy-dense)

19. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

I eat out of my bag daily.
    Meat and cheese stick pkgs, meal replacement bars,
    IF I think to make/pack a sandwich that day..., I 'll carry it.
    An apple or box of raisins...recently I've been buying the trail mix pkgs...anything I can carry that's easy to grab and eat on the run.
    Water bottle and any coffee pot I can get close to :rolleyes: and I'm good.

I don't "take a lunch" - usually eat between appointments mostly, other than sandwhich and the apple....all that stuff could sit for a week or month and be just fine.

20. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

I typically carry Cliff Bars, Jerky, Trail Mix and/or Dried Fruit (mostly cherries) in my bag. They all hold up pretty good in the Texas heat and can substitute for a meal if necessary. Jerky, dried fruit and trail mix are inexpensive and easy to make yourself plus you get to have it just the way you like. I occasionaly carry a packet of Sport Beans in the Cherry caffeinated version.