1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Folder advice....

Discussion in 'Knives' started by MrCoffee, Feb 2, 2008.

1. MrCoffee

MrCoffee Loaded Pockets

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for a new folder to carry, and I need some suggestion. Currently I carry a Kershaw Cyclone, but I am looking for a replacement. I would like a knife about the same size, appx a 3" blade, around 7" open. But I want a blade much closed to a Drop point style. I do NOT want any blade that looks "tactical" if I can avoid it.

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

How about a small Sebenza? Or a Mnandi?

3. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

Here are the main ones I carry:

[img width=640 height=580]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/dkevinb/EDC/MatchedFolders.jpg[/img]

Benchmade Mini Griptillian (top 2), Spyderco Native (middle 2) or Spyderco Delica (bottom 2). If I could only keep one it would be the plain edge Mini Grip. Great lock, great steel, very comfortable, very practical blade style. They come in different colors, too, if you don't want black.

Kevin B.

4. Russ

Russ Empty Pockets

5. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

You really aught to check out the Spyderco Caly 3. It's slicing ability, quality for the price, and ergonomics can't be beat. Not to mention VG-10 Steel is amazing. The wire clip lets it ride inconspicuously in your pocket. If you don't want to spend that much, I'd recommend the Delica 4. My friend has a Grip and I didn't like the ergos as much, and the blade steel was quite soft.

[​IMG]

6. Jim Preston

Jim Preston Empty Pockets

If you're willing to go traditional, you can get a Case Yellow Handle Sodbuster Jr, carbon steel, for $22 from SMKW.

7. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

I can definitely vouch for the Delicas. I've had (at least) three of these, and the super blade grinds and superb heat treatment make these cutting machines. The Calypso Jr. is also a super quality knife as well.

8. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

+1 For the Delica 4, strong little knife, real sharp out of the box. Haven't ordered the new G-10 version yet but it looks sweet and has a flat grind.
    Depending on what you are using it for and how much you use and abuse it (or are prone to losing them?) you might want to look at the C122 Tenacious... if you can find one that is.
    :luck:
    G.E.

9. blaher

blaher Empty Pockets

+1 for the Griptillian, I don't own one but the ones I've handled seem well made. I have a mini-skirmish that doesn't leave my side and recommend benchmade whenever I can.

10. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets

Vic Centurion or OHT.

Dtrain

11. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

I own both a Delica and a couple of MiniGrips (555HG and 556), and the Mini gets my vote. Only exception to this might be if you insisted on a fully serrated knife, and in that field the Delica's the winner.

Although some steel experts usually consider VG-10 to be marginally superior to 154CM, I think the ergonomics and the Axis lock more than make up for any difference in steel performance. The Delica is a bit too slim for it's size, and the backlock is a somewhat outdated design.

Anyway, the Delicas are great knives, and a great bargain. MiniGrips are a little more expensive. Can't go wrong with either.

(On the other hand, when comparing Enduras to full size Griptilians, I prefer the Enduras... Own two of them, a Wave and a CE, and just one CE Grip in 440C.)

12. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Another suggestion: if you must evade the tactical look, can live with a (stong) slipjoint, appreciate other functions, and/or are tight on cash... Vic Soldier, Pioneer or Farmer! The blade on these is stronger than other SAKs, the Alox scales are wonderfull, and the tool set is quite handy, especially if you are not in the habit of carrying a multitool.

Ok, I'll admit it. Lately, my EDC has been both a MiniGrip and a Soldier.

13. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Plus you can get them in "friendly" colors. Yellow, blue, pink and I think purple.

14. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

If it's not too large, how about the CRKT M4? I am saving up for one myself.

FWIW, my current EDC is a Victorinox Pioneer.

15. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I would recommend the Spyderco Caly3 or Spyderco Delica4. Both are excellent knives, with many years of refinements, and fantastic ergos. They also offer VG-10 which is by far my favorite steel, with excellent edge retention and relative ease of sharpening. It takes me very little time to put on a shaving sharp edge and I like it better over many other steels I've used, such as S30V, D2 and 154CM.

16. MrCoffee

MrCoffee Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.... I still havent made up my mind, and I am not in a rush..... just shopping. :)

Dtrain, I have a fireman, a non OH trekker, a rucksack, and adventurer, but I really dont like the bulk, and only want a single locking blade. (I have other SAKs on me). I always wished they would make a 91mm locking SAK.

17. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Boker Trance Drop Point is another alternative. Not too expensive to check it out to see if you like it. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to resell on the forums if you didn't like it.

18. tcolling

tcolling Empty Pockets

Vic did not. However, there are a few Wenger 84mm models with locking blades that are VERY nice!

- Tim

19. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets

Isnt Vic coming out with a OH Solo in the 11mm line?

Dtrain

20. uni2uniknot

uni2uniknot Empty Pockets

Hi,
    My EDC is an 84mm (3.25") Vic Original Golfer. These are retired although one occassionally pops up at the bay. This SAK has a blade, scissors, and bottle opener-skrewdriver combo tool. On the back, the knife has a phillips skrewdriver and a long nail file. The knife also has toothpick and tweezer inserts.
    Barry T. :cool: