1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Barnowl, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Barnowl

Barnowl Loaded Pockets

Hi guys. I am looking to purchase or put together a first aid kit, to cover most things that I might meet on a daily basis. The chalenge is that I don't want it to be too bulky or heavy. I would like your oppinions / suggestions on choices of kit and pouces.

2. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Though it's not clear as to whether you're looking for an altoids tin size fak or something more comprehensive, I'll take a stab at it. I would recommend that you consider the Adventure Medical Kit 0.7 Ultra-light as a starting point. You can add or delete items to meet your requirements as necessary, though it's pretty comprehensive.

3. Enkidu
    • In Omnia Paratus

Enkidu Loaded Pockets

Pack a Quickclot for serious bleedings (even artery), a bandana is very good to have as it's multi use, those 2 items alone will add bulk, but I'm sure you will be happy you have them when you need it.

Try to select items that has multi uses, example,don't pack any medical tape, but duct tape. don't medical scissors, but a LM Micra.

I use a MP M-5 waistpack (attached to my Lunada with annex clips) for my first aid kit, zippers run till the bottom, so I have good acces to all supplies, and there is a nice expandable front pocket that can easely hold a bandana. I admit it's kinda big, but working for me:)

4. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

+1 to the AMK kits.

Carry what you know.
    If you're a relative rookie to First Aid don't go out and pop for a big trauma kit with burn and suture supplies.

I EDC a AMK 1.0. Pretty straight forward, nothing fancy.

Where would you be carrying this daily?

5. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Best advise ever! My personal opinion is to build your own kit. A good source for small personal FAKs is the travel section or trial size section at Walmart. Small sized, inexpensive items are a great start. By making you're own kit, you can choose the size and contents. Only need band-aids and some small meds? Or do you want to be able to handle a larger wound? Maybe you or your family can't take aspirin, only ibuprofen, or need certain meds, that can be addressed also.

Pre-made kits are a great jump off point, but IMO, they often have too much of one thing, and not enough of another.

Good luck.

6. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Buy a small pouch (maybe a cheap camera pouch, those zip ones), and then go and purchase the First Aid Stuffs you need.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Who and what do you want to deal with and in which environments? Do you have any training if not then that's a great thing you can get and always have with you. As for kit if its minor injuries then most first aid kits will help (Though for EDC you don't usually need many of any one item). If you want to deal with life threatening injuries then you need a different load out and if you want to help strangers then you might want gloves and other barriers.
    For me first aid supplies are incremental depending on on what I am wearing, if I am carrying a bag and where I am going. The only time I actually use a first aid kit is when others may want to use it so at home, in the car or a thigh pack if I am overt at work. I can give you the lists if you like but what works for me may not work for you.

8. niimo

niimo Loaded Pockets

I'd go with making your own. One, because you will know it like the back of your hand. Two, you will have just what you need/want, therein avoiding the bulk, as you desire. I currently use an Maxpedition Individual First Aid Pouch (IFAP) for my edc fak. I am considering going back to the plain old ziplock freezer bag or a Aloksak 6x9 to save space. We'll see. There are a bunch of very helpful level 1 fak videos on youtube if you do choose to make your own.

9. Reader

Reader Loaded Pockets

Build your own kit, its more cost efective and you wil know what to do with what's in it. Also, go heavy on dressings and bandaging supplies as these go quickly when you need them.

10. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

I agree with everyone else, build your own kit. Take a look around the forum, there are many ideas, examples to take a look at. You might also look at the Adventure Medical Kits line if you want to purchase a kit and add (or subtract) from

11. K9medic

K9medic Empty Pockets

It really depends on what you expect to face, your level of training and how far you are from help. I made a small kit for my ex girl friend (she works with kids in care)

[​IMG] Spyderco cricket for scale

I based it on a key ring pouch that contained ;
    Gloves 1 pr.
    Face shield

I added the following;

Stick plasters x 5
    None alcohol wipes x 5
    5cm x 5cm pad x 1
    Burn gel x 1 sachet

This is as small as I can get a “working” first aid kit, it’s to cover the first couple of minutes until someone brings their full size kit.

WillAdams likes this.
  12. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

for off the shelf kits the AMK tend to be a little better thought out than most, not too hard to build your kit- as the advice posted elsewhere you need to determine your needs and how big (or small) a kit you can contend w/

here's a tiny one that goes in my wallet- 2 plasters, pack of steri-strips, triple antibiotic in a sealed coffee stirrer, small tweezers (from a SAK)

[​IMG]

a little bigger one based out of a Maxped glove carrier- pair of nitrile gloves, a couple of 4x4.75 Tegaderms, three Steri-strips, three Celox, six 3x3''s, two triple antibiotics, small personal meds, tweezers

[​IMG]

nice and trim when packed

[​IMG]

13. superfluities

superfluities Loaded Pockets

What's the best place to buy one-use FAK stuff? Variuos wipes,neosporen,Celox,alcohol,witch hazel,hydroPeroxide,bug replelent,burn cream,bug bite,poison ivy,stinging nettles,wipes,wipes,wipes...

14. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

might try this outfit- lots of sample size stuff- not sure what they have in the way of first aid stuff though

http://www.minimus.biz

15. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets