1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Firestarting/Best Way to Start a Fire

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Dave568, Jun 12, 2006.

1. oregonshooter

oregonshooter Loaded Pockets

Re: EDC Firestarting?

Here is a page describing the durability of a few systems mentioned on this thread.
    http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/rob.html

Anyone got a burn time for a cotton ball size bundle of dryer lint?

2. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

I strongly-suspect that bellybutton lint will prove to be the most efficient carrier for some petrolium jelly when expressed in BTU/gram when sucessfully ignited!! I have started collecting mine. (;D :crackup: Not!)

Larry

3. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

Second on the lint questions. Have heard of it often but never tried, has anyone here done so? How long does it burn or take to get a fire started using it?
    there was also a thread I saw about using hand sanitizer as a fuel since it has alcohol in it, but you have to add it to something to act as a wick. I tried it at home, pouring some on a small piece of cloth and it did ignite.

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used to carry a Zippo, then a no-name butane lighter, and now mostly disposable Bics (I lost my last one though). I'm looking into a dedicated survival-type firestarter for emergencies, but since I'm an urban-type I don't expect to need one ever.

When I was a kid there was a tree in my yard that grew these fuzzy, wire-thin bush-like seed carriers. They looked like small tumbleweeds. I used to ball these up after they'd dried out and use them for tinder. Combined with a fresnel lens, this stuff made pretty good fires in my backyard fire-pit. The neighbors thought I was going to burn down the neighborhood though, and I always reeked of smoke. :p
    I wish I knew what that tree was called.

I've read somewhere that a normal deodorant stick (not antiperspirant) can be pressed into service as emergency fire-starting fuel, due to alcohol content. Not everyone carries deodorant with them though (and never the ones that SHOULD, in my experience).
    If one is carrying a firearm, pulling a bullet from a cartridge will allow the use of the powder for starting a fire. Again, not terribly common a practice, but worth a mention, I think.

You guys are dangerous; I've got a box of dryer-lint in my garage and now I want to set it on fire out of curiosity!  :D

5. oregonshooter

webley445,

I forgot about the "Purrell starters" I was going to try that also. It would double as part of the aide kit for cleaning wounds if it was all you had. You should have a good aide kit in the bag also though and since I carry the aide kit and fire kit in teh same bag, the Purrell would have to burn as good as petrojelly, which I doubt it does.

6. Monstera13

Monstera13 Loaded Pockets

Can anyone suggest a reliable turbo-flame lighter?  A friend bought one of these, a 'turboflame', but I wasn't too impressed when he had to click it about 4/5 times before it lit.

I like the looks of the Iroda Turbo Lite that Herman30 has.  Does anyone know if it's reliable?

7. Cliff Nieporte

Cliff Nieporte Empty Pockets

I carry some of these along with me when I'm out in the woods:

[​IMG]

Trioxane bar & Esbit tab just for variety , PJ cotton balls inside of the straws & a fero rod & striker.
    With these items I've not failed at a campfire yet.
    Thanks for reading.
       Cliff

8. JimH

JimH Empty Pockets

My fire starting EDC
    [img width=640 height=570]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/hodgesj/EDCF/CIMG0554.jpg[/img]

Tunston carbide scraper blades for use as strikers - bought at Ace Hardware
    [​IMG]

Scraper blade with shrink wrap handle
    [​IMG]

Magnesium block after using it to make magnesium filings - easier done at home than in the field
    [img width=640 height=299]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/hodgesj/EDCF/CIMG0499.jpg[/img]

Fire Steel with trimmed handle for easier EDC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

Dang! I just found out some bad news about my use of dryer lint. Here's an article about fire making that's pretty cool. But they don't recommend dryer lint anymore - toxic fumes from synthetic fibers aren't good to be blowing on with your face close to it.

Firemaking

10. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I like to save the lint from jeans and towels and such--100% cotton! Knew there was a reason why!

11. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Loaded Pockets

Hey JimH,

Nice looking kit, there.
    I was wondering, how did you go about shaving down the handle of that flint? I have one, but would have to mess it up by experimenting when I could get the answer right here!

Thanks!

SL1

12. JimH

JimH Empty Pockets

smokelaw1,

I used a bench grinder for heavy material removal then switched to a bench belt sander for shaping and smoothing. Final light sanding was done with a Dremel.

13. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

They don't work with strikers, but some Fritos and a butane lighter are hard to beat. IMO, Fritos are an EDC necessity in the outdoors. Don't laugh...it works. ;D

14. oregonshooter

Ah yes, the universial Frito. It's not just for breakfast anymore! :)

15. jeffm

jeffm Empty Pockets

Yea, I used this at a BBQ when we couldn't find the lighter fluid. A little pile of Fritos worked great to get the coals going on the Webber.

16. fishshooter

fishshooter Empty Pockets

I carry a BSA hotspark on my keychain, I have several small fire kits for outdoor activities. I paint clear fingernail polish on the hotspark and other ferro rods to prevent corrosion.

17. fishshooter

fishshooter Empty Pockets

Anybody else carry K&M matchsafes ? A little larrge for me for EDC, but I always carry one with SA matches and cotton balls in it while in the woods. IMO, best matchsafe ever.

18. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Seriously, Fritos? I'll have to try that.

19. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

What about Doritos?

20. beardy

beardy Loaded Pockets

I find a role of toilet paper to work really well. Seriously, just light the whole roll. All the lotions and potions that go into toilet paper these days burn with a green/blue flame that lasts long enough to get just about fire going. I suppose you can eat Fritos in an emergency. TP's ther use is strictly limited to a totally different kind of "emergency."