1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Firestarting/Best Way to Start a Fire

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Dave568, Jun 12, 2006.

1. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

Re: EDC Firestarting?

Non-smoker but I carry a $8 butane refiillable that I got from Academy. It's black with a rubberized coating and latch. Also carry road flares in my BOB in the truck, along with a few small boxes of matches. Never had to use the flares but I think they would definitely start a fire. :highfive:

robert

2. Makarov

Makarov Loaded Pockets

I don't EDC anything on my person, but got a Bic-lighter, a pack of "stormproof" matches and a magnesiumbar (with a sparkrod inserted) in my man-purse(backpack) Everything is packed seperatly in ziplock bags and placed in different compartments.

While there's a lot of survival methods to start a fire, I still think that yer ole' Bic or a pack of matches is the best way to start a fire. When I was in the boyscouts (and in the army) putting the matches in an empty filmbox was the ultimate in survival, as it kept them dry.

IMHO the most stupid way to prepare to make fire I've seen was someone who packed a 9V battery and steelwool in his survival tin. If your going to the trouble of making a survial tin, why don't you pack something that you can rely on when you actually need it? A 9V alkaline wont pack much oomph after 4 years in the tin, especially if your trying to start a fire in -10 degrees Celcius=14F(a common temperature here in Norway in the winter), while a pack of mathces kept dry will light after 50 years. And I'm not sure how long a sparkrod will live, but I guess until the end of the world as long as it's kept dry ;D

3. carpdiem

carpdiem Empty Pockets

This is actually something I've considered for a while, and as a result, I have two countycomm austrian lighters on the way. :-D

With regards to the D-cell/steel wool fire starting: Has anyone tried this with a 123 cell? A lot of higher end flashlights use these, and they're fairly high capacity with ~9A flash current. It seems like you could do the steel wool trick with one of these without a problem, and since you'd have the battery in your light anyway, it's only a matter of packing a little bit of steel wool to give another firestarting method.

Hrm... I'll definitely have to give this a try sometime.

4. roknrandy

roknrandy Empty Pockets

5. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

This is what I use.
    [​IMG]
    one handed operation. I'm working on a slightly smaller version without the tinder.
    i will carry the tinder squished in my wallet.

6. gp_frk

gp_frk Guest

GENIUS! I never thought about using something like that as a sheath for a sparklite. Any chance that the striker will get messed up?

7. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

I guess if you stomp on it or fall down a rocky embankment.
    It seems pretty sturdy though, I was more worried about the wheel scratching something but I have had no problems.
    I saw a metal versin of the striker somewhere and would like to obtain a few.

8. Cordless

Cordless Empty Pockets

On my keychain is the BSA firesteel. I really like them. They are small and affordable enuff to practice with. I keep a spare in my wallet that has much of the plastic handle removed. They will corrode if left in wet and/or humid environments for extended periods. In my coin pocket is a slim stainless steel zippo. I've had problems with the magnesium firestarters, the shavings are tiny for my ole' eyes and blow away in a modest wind.

9. peacefuljeffrey

I EDC a Zippo lighter (these days, Sterling Silver Armor, high polish).

After a single day of carry with other items in my pockets (among them a stainless steel Zippo money clip and a silver dollar), it looked beat to hell, but I knew that would happen, expected it, and accepted it.

I have carried a Zippo lighter every day since I bought my first one in 1988. (Holy MOLY I can't believe it will soon be TWENTY YEARS!!!!!!) I have never been a smoker. I simply think it is a good idea to be able to make fire reliably and quickly.

Even before I carried a Zippo, I had for several years at least carried a disposable butane lighter.

I think that people who don't carry fire-making gear are remiss.

-Jeffrey

10. peacefuljeffrey

BINGO!! :p

That's why I carry a butane jet lighter in addition to my Zippo.

-Jeffrey

11. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike Loaded Pockets

i always have a mini-bic handy at all times..... on my EDC keychain i carry a bsa hotspark and striker.... i use a saw blade for a striker..... these little things are great..... :)

Attached Files:

12. Mike

Mike Loaded Pockets

Fire Building Kit

Hi,
    I was wondering if you guys or gals could give me some ideas on what I need to make a kit for fire building. Maybe something that would fit in a small pelican case. I already have a Firesteel and a magnesium "block" from WalMart. Do I need some kind of kindling and what would it consist of. Pics of your kits would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

13. oregonshooter

oregonshooter Loaded Pockets

Re: Fire Building Kit

My favorite fire starter is the one below with the tail cap stuffed full of petro-balls wrapped in wax paper.

[​IMG]
    http://www.campsaver.com/product.php?pid=372226

You can stuff enough into it (~6-10 balls) to light 10-20 fires depending on your conditions. One ball will produce a 4" flame for over 6 minutes.

This starter throws a ton of spark also. It is not one hand by design, but you can start a fire with only one hand due to the amount of sparks it puts out.

14. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

I think a spark-lite with quick tinder and a bic lighter are good enough for fire starting but I'm not a super expert.

Luigi

15. oregonshooter

Luigi,
    Are you refering to this kit?
    http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/fire%20starters%20main/spark-lite.htm

I tried one of those first from countycomm, but switched when I saw the output of Gerber.

If you want a really good deal, the NRA had a small kit with another one-handed started for sale a while back. Had a Fox40 whistle and something else in it also. Really cheap also.

I don't like the DOAN bars like you mentioned because in reality the shaving blow all over the place and it requires a lot of work to get a small amount of tender. 100% pure cotton balls with petrojelly rtubbed into them wrapped in wax paper is hard to beat for tender that has a long fuel time.

16. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Can you describe how you wrap them with the wax paper?

17. oregonshooter

I just pull apart a 100% cotton ball and work in some petrojelly then put the ball onto a strip of wax paper and wrap it like making a "ghost" head. Next time I do it I will only put 1/2 of a ball into the paper as 1/2 ball is plenty to get a good flame going.

One of these days when I get my kit finished, I'll have video of all this stuff. :(

18. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

I like collecting dryer lint personally. It works great as tinder and it's free. The Spark Lite kit is pretty cool for it's small size - and that Gerber makes tons of sparks but is a bit bigger. Both are really cool and work well - tried both and had fun with them.

19. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Merged topic with a bump.

:pp:

You might also check out this thread for more discussion with pics

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=4162.25

The Gerber one pictured is essentially the same as the Ultimate Survival Strike Force, which, as I understand, is no longer available, but was reviewed in the first issue of EDC Magazine in October.

Dryer lint is awesome (I just keep adding to the collection each dryer load), as are the petroleum jelly-bathed cotton balls.  Lots of fun to practice lighting. You can store the dryer lint in a little zip lock baggie, and it fits nicely in the Gerber compartment.

Karen

20. oregonshooter

What is your burn time on dryer lint? I've heard that before, but have not tried it yet.

What you pick will depend on the size of kit you are putting it in. The Gerber is my favorite, but is only found in my 72hr bag. For smallet kits, a mini-bic and some lifeboat matches are good.

Just remember "two is one, one is none" when making a kit.