1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Firestarting/Best Way to Start a Fire

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Dave568, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

I've been browsing around the EDC pictures forum, and I noticed something kind of odd. I noticed that almost every picture I looked at contained many knives, many flashlights, and in some cases, multiple firearms. I'm wondering why people seem to have no problem carrying several redunant, heavy items, yet they do not even carry so much as a single match. Maybe it has to do with people's locations, since in the inner city needing to start a fire isn't quite as important as out in the country, but it seems to me like dropping one of your extra knives for a lighter or something similar might be a good idea.

I am interested in hearing from both people who carry an EDC firestarting item, and those who don't. I'd like to hear reasons for both options.

I personally carry at least one firestarting option on my person at all times, and at least a couple backup methods in my EDC backpack as well.

2. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Re: EDC Firestarting?

I have learned a lot about firestarting from this forum (recycling pocket lint, using balloons or condoms :-[, cotton balls and Vaseline/Chapstick, all the different sparking sticks, in addition to the old-twirl-the-stick-real-fast method, etc.), but I have lighters everywhere--purse, truck, porch, kitchen, pockets, little dayhike bag, dance bag--as a result of my fondness for cigars (and candles--but we gals know how you guys all feel about those in light of all your spiffy lights :)). I think on our next camping trip or just for kicks in the back yard one day I might try some of these methods to see how long it would take me. But yeah, I carry several knives and several lighters. And I check and fill them regularly.

3. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

In an URBAN environment I just don't feel the need to tote fire starting gear (but like Karen, I have lighters in the trucks, in my desk at work, and in my EDC work bag). If I leave town for any reason, rest assured that fire makins are on my person.

todd

4. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Absolutely. I won't head out on a wilderness hike, paddle or climb without a fire starter of some sort.

5. quackPOT

quackPOT Loaded Pockets

I usually try to keep a bic or one of my mini-torches within reach. Either in the car or in my daily haulin' bag. Comes in handy for the occasional smoke or paracord ends.

6. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

I smoke so there's always at least one Bic with me.
    In the hurricane kit I have a couple boxes of "Tri-something" fuel bars along with several sterno cans.
    To save lint in bulk for firestarting keep the cleanings from te lint filter off the dryer.

Here's an interesting one:
    Fire from a Can of Coke and a Chocolate Bar

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/cokeandchocolatebar/

7. Evolute

Evolute Empty Pockets

I carry multiple, redundant ways to start a fire: a ferrcerium rod, a Bic mini lighter, a permanent match, and a Spark-Lite. I also carry multiple, redundant tinders: fatwood, Tinder-Qwik, and methanol.

I venture out nearly every day, so I want to be ready in a pinch to light a fire to save my life. Even in suburban situations, lighting fire comes in handy often (lighting the grill, burning paracord ends, sterilizing a needle before removing a splinter, etc.).

Mike

8. Glock19

Glock19 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Zippo in my pocket and a BSA HotSpark w/ a little tinder (TinderTabs in a pill fob) on my keychain. I have very little need to ever start a fire in my daily activities but, once on my keychain the HotSpark/tinder fob is so small I don't even know it's there. As for the Zippo, well I just like having it with me. I used to carry a Zippo years ago for no reason (never smoked) other than to just have it with me.

9. wolf

wolf Loaded Pockets

Another zippo and HotSpark/pill fob tinder here. The zippo resides in my pocket and the Hot Spark with Tinder is attatched to my Rucksak Vic. I have a bic in my Maxpedition along with a Spark Lite. I generally have at least two ways of starting fire on my person at any given time. Fire.... heh... heh heh.. .. Pretty... :idiot2:

10. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Only when I go camping I carry a lighter in my pack.

11. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

I have a BSA Hot Spark on my keychain, tinder in a waterproof capsule in my Leatherman sheath, and a disposable lighter in my daypack. But it's the matches in my car's first aid kit that seem to get the most use, like the time I was invited to a cookout and somehow no one remembered matches for the propane grill.

12. bubbajoe

bubbajoe Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Magfire pro , 2 mini bics, one on my keychain and one in my leatherman charge sheath. i also carry a few waterproof matches in my wallet. i love being redundant .i love being redundant, i love being redundant... ;D No i don't smoke... quit 5 years ago... i love being redundant.

i use the mini bics all the time .melting rope ends, melting nylon thread on work gloves ect. i have used the matches to start the grill and i use the magfire to practice my fire making skills... and yes i can make fire using a bow drill.. i love being redundant.

13. chuck4570

chuck4570 Loaded Pockets

Zippo on me at all times, just because I like them.

Chuck

14. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

I have an Iroda Turbo Lite. http://www.pro-iroda.com/turbolite.htm

Don´t come to use very often but when it does, it´s for melting the ends of paracord
    or starting a fire.

15. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Anyone know where I can find a very small fire starter for my keychain?

Thanks,

GG

16. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

Define "very small," please. The BSA Hot Spark is about the size of my house key, but nearly twice as thick. It's the smallest I've found.

The WSI Hot Spark is only slightly larger, though. I don't own one, but have seen it at Sportsman's Warehouse. It has the advantage of the magnesium, if you like that sort of thing.

I haven't seen anything smaller than either of these, but I could just be sheltered.

17. bubbajoe

bubbajoe Loaded Pockets

Try here http://www.magfireusa.com/.. Magfires are about the size of a key. the pro is just thicker.. Martin is a great guy to deal with. magfire is a quality product

18. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Thanks! That size is perfect... If it doesn't fit on a keychain, then I probably won't carry it with me when I need it. I carry the larger size in my survival kit. How about that size with a little better quality?

Thanks again,

Gadget Guy

19. bubbajoe

bubbajoe Loaded Pockets

MAGFIRE!! 1oz carry weight... 3,000 strikes

MAGEFIRPOR 2 oz carry weight...12,000 strikes

you'll love this firestarter. O0

20. jeffm

jeffm Empty Pockets

I quit smoking over two years ago, but I still cary at least a mini-Bic in my pocket.

I somehow always end up using it to light birthday candles, giving someone else a light, etc. on some days.

Peace,

Jeff