1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC fire steel?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by darth_guy101, Jun 6, 2012.

1. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

I'm going to be working summer camp here soon so I started making an inventory of my camping/outdoor gear. As it turns out, I have no fire steel. What fire steels do you guys/gals carry, if you carry one at all. I have a Zippo with a butane insert in my EDC, but that isn't in the Boy Scout spirit is it? So, recommend away!

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Light my Fire, which I don’t carry in an urban environment. (File the striker it is a beast.) Nothing wrong with modern stuff ……..I say Bic. Nothing says prepared like a Bic.

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

In a summer camp if you are referring to what I think you are your needs will not be as great than living out of pack. If your car is nearby or if it is a summer camp that has buildings I don't think you need a fire steel. This is coming from someone that sells fire steel.

4. strongblackcoffee

strongblackcoffee Loaded Pockets

If you're set on a firesteel, I can recommend the Primus one, or, for EDC coolness, a nanoStriker. I have one my keychain and use it regularly too!

[​IMG]

Or the nanoStriker XL, which is a bit beefier.

[​IMG]

lnytunes likes this.
  5. B_H_

B_H_ Loaded Pockets

for a camp im sure a lighter will do. i care a Tool Logic K3 Fire Starter for emergencies. i took the cap off and just carry the actual fire rod, the cap makes it a bit heavy. a lighter is much easier to use.

6. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

I carry a fire steel in my Altoids PSK along with a mini Bic lighter. Those little lighters last a pretty long time. Although there are situations where a person may not be permitted to carry a lighter. Nothing wrong with carrying something on your key chain though. You never know when you may need it!

7. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a LMF Scout 2.0 in my EDC but it got in the way so I switched to a Ben's Backwoods Mini Firesteel http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=672

[​IMG]

I tied a few knots in the paracord to shorten it and now it lives happily on my keychain EDC. For a striker I use the back of my P38, it throws a good amount of sparks considering the short rod length.

8. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

1,2,3: Exotac Nanostrikers. I carry a Nanostriker while in the city "just in case". Not so easy to use but it is small, it does its job and it does it with style.
    4: Noname firesteel: Sometimes I carry it paired with a carbide striker (not pictured here) in place of a Nanostriker. It works fine and I mostly use one of them - without the paracord - in my altoids type kits.
    5: Tool logic firesteel. A favorite for when I am going out of the city. It has a small issue with the firesteel bar (after each strike it moves just a bit out of the handle) but a simple push on the bar before putting it away, is all it needs. Handy and comfortable for such a small size.
    6: Cheap DX firesteel: My absolute favorite is also my cheapest firesteel. At about $6 (if I remember correctly), it also has a horrible whistle and a non working compass. It is big, so I carry it only when I leave the city but you can "just look at it and it starts a fire", very easy to use.

What would I carry today if I was going to camp? A Tool logic in my pocket, a DX firesteel in my bag, and a noname (4) firesteel in my altoids kit. And a Zippo with a butane insert also in my pocket.

9. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Whenever meritline has a sale on these, I pick one up. Their sales usually have 'em for about $1.60 shipped post tax. They're the only firesteels I've ever owned, so I really can't compare. They work fine after the black coating is scraped off though, so I'm happy. At that price, I'm not complaining though. :)

10. darth_guy101

I'll look into the suggestions. I'm only carrying a fire steel because i'm expected to. While camping, I start most of my fires with my Zippo, but the local council tries to stress the outdoor preparedness theme, so all fires are supposed to be started with either a flint and steel (thats what they call it) type system or a single match.

11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I've never been able to do the flint and steel thing without char cloth or steel wool. It isn't easy.

12. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Not even petroleum jelly + cotton balls?

13. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

Really? I'm usually all thumbs but after a few times practising with the firesteel and dryer lint I can get it going on the first or second strike. Trust me if I can do it, you can. :)

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  14. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

In a real situation you probably wont have tinder so you should practice making your own. Clothing can be shaved to get lint/fuzz. You should also practice making fuzz sticks and sawdust if possible. This is all just my take on the matter, so take it for what its worth (darn little ;) ).

Also, I agree with TarHeelBrit... PRACTICE! In my experience, I've gone from "this is a pain in the butt, and just a novelty" to "well that was easy" by practicing with my fire steel. Also, a good striker helps. Haven't found better than a bit of hacksaw blade. Some people say its too much! I say if I wanted it really difficult I would try to light water on fire!

15. strongblackcoffee

strongblackcoffee Loaded Pockets

Firesteel and Flint & steel are different things. Firesteel is easy. Flint & steel takes practice!

Primus firesteel (one strike at about 3 mins):

Flint & steel firemaking:

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  16. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I am assuming you will be demonstrating or instructing the use of fire starting gear, so I would recommend the Armageddon Gobspark from Firesteel.com.

[​IMG]

FWIW, I AM an advocate of holding the scraper and drawing the Firesteel against it.

Last edited by tower, Jun 8, 2012
  17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Uh? real flint ansd steel. Not fire steel....

with pencil shavein's

[​IMG]
    pencil fire by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

18. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I often find myself practicing lighting tinder with a firesstarting flint rod when I'm out and about. (LMF Scout, LMF Army, Sparklite, Blastmatch or Ranger flint rod - I have several of each!!)

I can ALWAYS get PJ and cotton balls to light, and do well with shredded newspapers, belly button fluff (Eeww!) & clumps of sheep's wool, fur and feathers that I find.

Try as I might, I CANT get LMF Maya Dust to light from a spark, though.

I'm of the " hold the scraper and drag the flint" school, too.

19. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

No sorry firesteel for me. However you have piqued my interest in flint and steel. I found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/English-Flint-and-Steel-Fire-Starter-with-Tinder-Box-and-1-free-extra-flint-chip-/300721643614?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460468205e

Being a total newb how does this look to you? good starter kit? or can you point me in the direction of something better?

I know what my wife will say if I get one "Oh goody another way to burn the house down":)

20. darth_guy101

I know there is a difference between flint and steel (which takes A LOT of time to learn how to use) and a firesteel. The local council just calls any striker based fire starter "flint and steel". I tried using a Light My Fire striker that a buddy of mine had, and I was impressed. I was able to get (very) dry wood shavings to light in about 3 minutes of sparking. He also had a Brunton striker and a Blast match, that I tried, but I liked the LMF striker the best. They were all much better than the B.S.A. licensed one that I "lost".