1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Edc fails!

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by dan.05, Apr 8, 2016.

1. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

You understand correctly. But the military keeps buying our equipment from the lowest bidder. IMHO The issued med bag is better suited for a humanitarian mission where the possibility of moving quickly aren't as high as a combat mission because the interior pouches are not attached to the actual pack and would fall out when attempting to move from one casualty to another with out zipping the entire thing closed. As well I find that I can't organize the bag as to what I like to use properly with a bag like the ctoms or a 5.11 or even a larger Camelback. I ended up using a 5.11 rush 72 pack that was even better then the designated med bag.

2. JoshTF

JoshTF Loaded Pockets

Cheap flash lights are always a big one for me. I don't understand how some people can praise them so highly on the Internet. If it fits in a pocket and costs less then 20 bucks they seem to wear out when you need them the most normally with in a month or two of purchase. Now I buy name brands I trust which ironically doesn't really cost a great deal more.

+1

Issued gear only works well if you don't plan on actually using it in life or death situations. After three deployments I have after market replacements to almost every issued peice of gear.

3. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Reminds of a remark by one of our astronauts (I forgot which) when asked what he thought as he sat in that small capsule atop the huge rocket while waiting for the liftoff that would take him into orbit: "I was thinking that every component in this contraption was purchased from the lowest bidder." :(

JoshTF, Sly and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  4. Roguehunter

Roguehunter Loaded Pockets

Wasn't that from the Armageddon movie!

5. znapschatz

Really? I never saw that one.

Roguehunter likes this.
  6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I can jump on this bandwagon. They are a neat idea, but I've yet to handle one that was executed well. I've heard good things about the NuMyth peanut lighters, though.

I like the "permanent match" style lighters. I got one from DX once and it was awesome. I still have it somewhere. I ordered a half dozen more of the same SKU, and they were completely different and absolute junk.

7. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Not surprising. Marshall has created seemingly successful operation in GoingGear, thanks to good service, good management and reliable products, including creations through his other, sister company, NuMyth. Haven't tried all, of course, but those I have (fire piston, battery capsule) ... no complaints.

Stormdrane likes this.
  8. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

Before I got into knives seriously I saw the CRKT KISS tanto combo edge in a shop and thought it was the coolest thing on Earth. I desperately wanted to love, carry and use it, but couldn't. Short, stubby, thick, chisel ground combo edge is simply the opposite of a useful edc blade. And it was dangerous too, would open in pocket. No amount of tweaking would remedy the problems. Still have it, though.

Years later I fell for the same folly, buying a Gerber/Hinderer collaboration - which had a short, stubby, thick combo edge... And the opening stud broke in a month.

I tried edc'ing a Cold Steel Urban Pal push dagger in my key chain. Bad idea. Then I ordered a Super Edge - equally unsuited for the need.

I have a pretty good nose for useless crap, and I won't carry any. I'll buy a lot of nice toys but not for edc.

Sly likes this.
  9. jdawg1235

jdawg1235 Empty Pockets

If you're wearing a CRKT Sweet K.I.S.S. or Obake in your waistband with the paracord attached on your belt loop, don't forget it's there when you start running around the yard with your dog. I may or may not have injured myself with the sheeth where the sun just so happens to not shine.

10. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

I think I may be the only one here who doesn't have an issue with their Maratac Peanut Lighter.

11. ballast

ballast Loaded Pockets

Sog switchplyer, there should be a safety catch on it or some sort of lock as the plyers kept deploying in my pocket, then i moved to a sheath and same thing. Now it lives in a drawer and havent had an issue with it deploying since.

Grimley likes this.
  12. Chairsofter

Chairsofter Loaded Pockets

I
    I've been carrying it a few times, and I've never had it deploy on me! I love them though, great one-hand-deploy pliers, and really handy! Friends like it too, and are always asking me to use mine.

13. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Not a lot of people have answered this question:

I guess that is only natural, as answering it will inevitably be more embarrassing than answering question #2.

OK, here goes:

Do NOT baton a folder. Even if it is decidedly bigger, thicker and heavier than your standard EDC folder, it is NOT, and I repeat, NOT a good idea to hit it with a stout, heavy piece of wood. It is not cool, it is not smart, it is just plain stupid.

And yes, I am speaking from personal experience...:blink:

JoshTF, Sly and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  14. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

While that is a good suggestion it is entirely possible to baton with a folder provided the correct technique is used (although it is sub-par to batoning a fixed blade). What you want to do is disengage your lock and use the blade as a short fixed blade. That way no strain is put on the locking (swivel) mechanism of the folder.

I've used that technique to baton with everything from Opinels, to SAKs to heavy duty folders and never had a problem.

15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Yes, it is possible. I even have to admit that I have done it more than once without trouble. On the other hand, I also have a Buck 110 with a slightly bent blade as a result of this practice.

In sum, I still don't think batonning is a very good idea, especially not with folders.

Tristar777 and Swe_Nurse like this.
  16. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Credit card folding knife. Don't bother, too flimsy.

EDC tweezers, those single-piece flat metal ones. They suck! Can't even remove a sliver properly. Regular tweezers from the first aide or HBA aisle are actually usable, just find a way to carry it.

Don't use you knife as a screwdriver, even if it's a besh wedge tip .....

10i and sungame like this.
  17. Tech2

Tech2 Loaded Pockets

Those s-biners... Was using them to keep backpack zippers held together on a 3 week trip. Started with 8, finished with 2. Wasn't just me, my buddies kept falling off too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

18. znapschatz

Have you tried the locking S-biners now on the market?

Knightrock likes this.
  19. Tech2

Tech2 Loaded Pockets

I haven't, though they seem to be the solution. I guess it's partly that I'm once bitten twice shy, since then I just haven't thought to myself, "an s-biner would be great for this". Maybe one day.

20. Tech2

Tech2 Loaded Pockets

Swisskey. Blade that doesn't cut well, tools you can't hold well, and just don't want to carry it even though it's tiny. I'd rather use a real key for "cutting" and a coin for screws... Same or better use out of day to day items compared to a silly "tool".