1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC fail … oh, the shame

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by T Shrapnel-Carruthers, Jun 30, 2018.

1. LNR_LOC

LNR_LOC Empty Pockets

I was on a wild boar hunt in the swamps of S.C. I was dropped off in the dark, light rain, pointed to a direction and told to follow a path a few hundred yards to the stand. Truck left and I reached in my cargo pocket for my flashlight but it was not there. No cell coverage. That were not fun.

2. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I saw the comments in regard of this. I tend to be on the fence, I guess. I have both AA (and AAA) flashlights, and rechargables. I carry a AAA, and two rechargeable flashlights at work, along with the powerbank and an emergency AA charger for the phone. It's all about being power-sufficient, in my case. I can't speak for others, of course :)

3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Got EDC slapped in the face yesterday.

Drove off to pick up some shelves that were given to me. Now, these were supposed to already be disassembled, but that’s no excuse, and of course they weren't.

I took the SUV to make sure I could fit everything in the back, you know that large four wheel drive that you take for the longer outings. The one that goes everywhere, has everything and makes sure you are self sufficient.
    Turns out I didn’t have a single hand tool in there. Not a bit, a plier. Nothing.
    To make things worse this person that was giving the shelves away said, “I didn’t have the right tools, but you always have tools on hand, so I figured it didn’t matter”.

It all worked out eventually. Not smootly though.

I changed out my SUV this summer, so it’s not very old, but that’s no excuse. 3 months or what it has been, should be plenty for this kind of preparation.

4. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I’m sure there’s been one, or several, but I guess they weren’t important enough to leave an impression, because as much as I’m trying, I just can’t come up with anything :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Just a suggestion... I have settled on a system of two tool bags. One is more mechanically inclined - bits, sockets, wrenches, channel locks, etc. The other one is geared more toward general handyman duty - drills, screwdrivers, a hammer, channel locks, etc. The two bags fit behind the back seat of my Tundra, but can easily be switched to my wife's car or another vehicle, as necessary.

6. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Exactly what I do

7. aicolainen

That’s very prepared, I must say.
    I have something I just refer to as my car kit. It’s very basic, but is thoughtfully put together to solve most unforeseen problems that might arise when going somewhere by car. The problem with my current system is that I don’t store the kit in any of our cars. It resides in the house, and I only bring it on these longer trips.
    It has perculated in the back of my head for a while that my system has a few shortcomings, and a permanent toolkit in each car was on my To-do list to somewhat address those shortcomings. My to-do list is a bit crowded, but this EDC failure makes me think I should move this task higher up on the list.

MOD-u-LAR and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you drive your car to work daily, the tools you have in your car are probably with you 75% or so of the time that you're out of the house. Really, it's a pretty high priority EDC category.

9. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I pieced together sets of hand tools and put a small tool bag in the everyday vehicles. They can easily be moved to the other vehicles as needed. Not enough to change rings and bearings, but enough to change a belt, or water pump or any lights that may go out. Also works for other non-automotive needs that may arise during my time away from the tools at home. Basic stuff from the big box home improvement stores.

The bulk of my tools remain at home for those larger jobs that I don't want to do on the side of the road. And as always, keep up on the preventive maintenance.

10. aicolainen

I agree this is probably good advice for most people. I don't drive a whole lot to work, and if it do, it's usually an EV that I wouldn't know how to repair anyway :)
    I'm inclined to focus more on the SUV, that I would usually take for longer trips, in harsh conditions or work like tasks (like moving shelves). I think my logic makes sense, I've just been putting too much faith in my ability to bring the car kit and other required tools when necessary. I need to have something permanent in that car to mitigate human error. It's all planned long ago, just need to execute.

I actually have some basic stuff in the EV as well, but as much as I like to be prepared, I don't like clutter and it's a small car with few compartments that rarely go further than 30km from my home. Got to keep it sensible. A multi-tool, a 26650 flashlight and a fixed blade is all I got for summer season. Haven't planned anything for EV driving in nordic winter yet, but I probably should. Soon.

11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I was repairing some rot to the wooden trim around my sister's garage door. At one point, I put my Boker Cop Tool on the bumper of her car. She needed to get out, and I was so busy getting the ladder and everything else out of the way, that the Cop Tool got left on her bumper. It's now on some patch of road between the garage and her destination. It was almost 10 years old, in pristine condition, and the price had doubled since I originally purchased it.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Not a happy camper.

ATB,
    Sam

12. aicolainen

As sad as it is, this is what we really want. It's better to loose a tool on a meaningful mission after 10 years of service, than having a safe queen for 20 or 30 or whatever, until you can't remember what "safe" hideaway you put it in...

Busmech and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  13. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Well said!

Busmech likes this.
  14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I am not sure having a "senior moment" and leaving something on a vehicle bumper is enough to warrant entrance into gear Valhalla.

In fact, it had been set aside because I found my Mulwark scraper was a better tool for this task. I just hadn't had a chance to bring the Cop Tool back into the house.

No lives were saved, no life bonds with wild woodland creatures were formed. Just an exercise in non-recoverable stupidity.

ATB,
    Sam

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  15. aicolainen

I totally understand why this wasn't your proudest moment, but still, it was an item that was in use. As long as your actually using something there is always a risk that you misplace, drop or forget it in the stupidest of ways.
    I realized many years ago that this was the single largest reason I had to replace tools, wearing something out before I lost it was very rear. So expect for EDC gear and tools, in which I appreciate high quality, I usually don't buy expensive high end / premium hand tools.

Busmech and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  16. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I find it interesting what the difference of what each of us considers essential. Some of it is where we live , some of it personal preferences. Forgetting a phone is no big deal to me . I have an extra knife and lighter in the car and my locker at work . I walked out without a knife last week . I made my way back to my locker asap.
    I consider in order of importance
    Knife
    Lighter
    Gun
    Wallet
    Light
    Extra magazine
    Watch
    Phone

17. aicolainen

You are right. Many things influence how we range our essentials.
    I do however find it interesting that you put your phone last. In part I agree, cause I do often hate that thing, and it does feel very good when you accidentally forget it, but I can't deny the usability of a modern smartphone. It's one single item that in a pinch can replace so many other tools if need be.
    So, even though I in many cases would rate the phone as an inferior last resort to my dedicated tools, it is the very best backup tool.
    Where does that put it on the list...? For me, it has to be the top spot. I don't have any warm feelings for it (I believe it has never occurred in any photo I've posted on this site), but it is undeniably the single most useful tool in my carry.

18. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I am the last of the generations that walked 2 miles to the bus stop raised by parents that went through the Depression In the Appalachian mountains. I was taught to be self reliant. Knowledge is the most important thing we carry . With a knife and a way to start a fire will get you through most things . A gun in urban area it is self defense, I ain't as young as I used to be. In woods it will get food. Wallet is money, I.D. ccw permit. Light is self explanatory, today's lights are amazing extra magazine is just extra ammo. Watch for time and if analog dail can be a compass. Phone is if I fail with everything else. What I do like about a phone, camera, bible , extra light. Solitaire game to pass time while the wife shops.

I actually have to stop myself at times to remember most people today haven't carried a knife since they were 5 weren't taught to sharpen it at 8 or 9 weren't taught to build a fire with 1 match at 9 or 10 . They weren't hunting by themselves at 13-14 . I drove home 60 miles with dad passed out in th back seat of a 68 power wagon at 12 years old.

I learned my skills before the internet age , so not having a pocket computer isn't a problem with me

FLbeachbum, Busmech, neo71665 and 2 others like this.
  19. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

A sharp mind is way more useful than a charged phone.

20. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

I heartily agree with most of what you wrote.

I’d just like to add that a digital watch is just as useful as a compass. You simply have to use your imagination a bit!

jag-engr likes this.