1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC fail … oh, the shame

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by T Shrapnel-Carruthers, Jun 30, 2018.

1. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Last weekend I travelled to the UK to attend an anti-Brexit march (don't get me started on that) and see my mother. It was a quick trip so I packed light. At the station on the Saturday morning I realised that the credit card I had pre-booked my ticket with was not in my wallet. No problem, I thought, it is one of the cards I took out of my wallet so I had absolute minimum with on the day. I grabbed a taxi back to Mum's only to realise that the card was in the travel organiser I usually carry back in the Netherlands.

So, what are your EDC failures? This is a safe space, you are among friends, we'll be gentle.

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

At a coffee shop I was digging in my pants for some cash and I put my HDS on the dash board. Forgot about it and switched cars.

Power went out at work. No light. I never ever do that. Booooooo.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I remember one trip quite a number of years ago where 'somehow' I left the house without my cell phone! Quick stop at Walmart and I ended up with a second flip phone worthy of Capt Kirk, with a second number...!

Still have the phone. Been inactive now for about 8 years. Figure when my regular one gives up the ghost I'll activate this one again! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. GQkudzu

GQkudzu Loaded Pockets

You mean like when a lovely young lady standing outside a college building asks if you have a light for her cigarette, and you bring out your Zippo to discover the fuel is all evaporated? Happened to this guy I know. :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

5. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

A pen. A simple pen, a sharpie specifically. I turned up at job, the plan in hand to tick off stuff with client, only there wasn't a pen in the pocket. Or as it turned out an olight S1a and a skeletool, all at home in another pair of trousers I'd laid out the night before.

6. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Your friend is in my thoughts.

Moose and GQkudzu like this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Is it inappropriate to giggle about the anti Brexit march?

My last EDC fail was similar. I'd gone running one morning and mislaid my wallet. I took my wife's SUV in later for an oil change and had no wallet! Fortunately, I had cash in my EDC bag. It was that day I added a spare credit card to the bag as well (and refilled the cash!).

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Which is a great reason to use a Thunderbird butane insert in the zippo! I do this with the Zippo I used with my pipe. Didn't lose any fuel due to evaporation for many many many months!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose, GoBliNuke and GQkudzu like this.
  9. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Inappropriate and unjustified.

Moose likes this.
  10. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Giggles

11. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

I had a acquaintance return my fountain pen to my jacket pocket with the cap off. My jacket was on a chair back and I did not realize she had returned it. Jacket survived with only a stained liner but it killed my shirt when I put it back on.

12. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

It’s better to leave politics out of the forum-

13. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I carry a USB powerbank in my EDC. Some months back, I forgot to recharge it, came to use it the next day, and whoops. I now carry TWO of the :censored: things. The original 16Ah job, and a 4xAA drycell unit for those "D'OH moment" emergency emergencies *slaps forehead*

Tesla and Mumbojumboo like this.
  14. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

15. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Failed miserably in my attempt to remove security bolts on our office windows so we can open them wider. Left my security bit set at home. Twice.
    So. Hot.

My Gerber MP600 and ratcheing screwdriver wasn't enough for the job.

16. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

My car broke today.

I clipped a wall a few weeks ago and damaged the strut that joins the wheel to the shocks, which I didn't realise at the time. Turns out my car has been waiting to fail. I'm just lucky it happened in a car park, not on the motorway at 95 miles per hour, else I wouldn't be typing this.

That sucks but these things happen. I grabbed my phone to call the breakdown people to get it towed and realised my phone was on 12%.

Like most of you, I'd imagine, I have a bag of emergency items in the boot, which includes a portable charger. Except I'd taken it out to charge it a few weeks ago and forgotten to put it back in. I'd also done the same with my jumper and it was the first cool day we've had in weeks.

I charged my phone enough off the car that when they called to tell me the tow truck was there, I'd get it and I could call my mum to let her know what had happened and that I needed a lift home but I didn't want to risk flattening my car battery on top of everything else.

Plus I'd skipped breakfast and I didn't even have a cereal bar and I didn't want to break into the emergency food.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say stuff forgotten while traveling doesn't count as an EDC failure. Right?

I once managed to leave the country without a driver's license, debit card, or credit cards (long story), but I did have cash and my wife had her cards. Fortunately, we didn't need to drive at our destination.

18. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Wrong.

If that counted this thread wouldn't exist. It does. Sorry.

Moshe ben David and Moose like this.
  19. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

This tends to back up my point in the AA/AAA vs rechargeable flashlight thread that's running currently.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

Well, some day i've decided it's a good idea to "go light" just with phone-wallet-keys... and some minor accident... and where are my bandaids and multitool then they are most needed?! So now my everyday first-aid kit is divided by two parts - first wallet-sized and second more bulky.