1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Evolution. From cheap to quality

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Journo, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Also, congratulations 15 years is a big thing. You remembering the date is an even bigger thing!

MCPOWoller likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Hey, it worked for the boys in the ZZ Top band! They even wrote a song in homage to 'Cheap Sunglasses'! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. MCPOWoller
    • +1 Supporter

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I’d rather be caught wearing Crocs w/ socks then be caught wearing cheep sunglasses. :rofl:

garza and Journo like this.
  4. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Sometimes, it feels like expensive gear is used as a status symbol more than anything else. I know guys that have a Rolex because they feel important in it but they have to take it off to do anything. There's nothing wrong with that but as a watch, it's no better than a $50 watch.

It's all about priorities IMO. I want gear that can handle abuse so I'm never gonna spend four figures on a watch. At the same time, I'm gonna spend good money (or what passes for good money on a student budget) on boots because they get worn day in, day out but I'll spend next to nothing on t-shirts.

The only thing I've spent money on recently that felt indulgent was getting a shirt altered but that's because I'm short and wide so wearing off the rack shirts makes me look like a kid playing dress up in his dad's clothes and I only have one shirt.

5. Ayube

Ayube Empty Pockets

I love high quality stuff but i really like the value proposition...if an item has good value for the buck i will have no issue spending a bit "more" However if you are just paying for a name than i suppose i have no issue with it as long as you can afford it but in your umbrella example? That's close to a $400 CAD umbrella...sure you could have decades of use from it but...i could also afford a decade of lost and damaged umbrella's in that decade and still come out on top lol.

6. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I doubt that many people in Canada would appreciate a nice umbrella except perhaps those in Vancouver. It just doesn't rain enough. But the money that gets spent on a good pair of wool socks...! ;D

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

7. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

personally, if you have your financial life squared away, go nuts. I'm not saying you have to be rich or anything, but my kid's day care is paid, my mortgage is paid, my retirement account is funded every 2 weeks, etc. anything left over can be spent without much worry. with that out of the way...

there's clearly a point of diminishing returns. I'm a competitive shooter and enjoy a good handgun (sorry not sorry, Europeans!). I always wanted a semi custom 1911 and have lusted after them for almost a decade. Never had enough money until I saved and skrimped and bought one right after my son was born. I will pass it to him, and I anticipate it will last 100 more years. I'm not a soldier and will likely never use it in self defense. I will shoot holes in paper with it and enjoy time with buddies. Does it shoot better holes in paper as a gun that costs literally 1/4th the price? sure. does it shoot them 4x better? well, not objectively but it's clearly worth it to me.

I would personally rather have a few quality examples of something rather than a dozen cheaper versions. I wear one Omega. Got it from my parents when I earned my doctorate more than a decade ago. Since then it's been on my wrist when I went on job interviews, got married, shot stuff on the range, buried family, had only $4 to my name, moved across the country, my son was born, etc. he used to lay on my lap and listen to it as a grumpy baby, and watch was one of his first words.... It costs more to service than just buying 3 g-shocks new would be, but I like it and it reminds me of the stuff I've been though, good and bad. It will also go to my son so hopefully he can remember time with me. Are there watches that tell better time? Sure. Are there better status symbols? sure, everyone knows a rolex but only watch guys really pick up on Omegas.

I want fewer things in my life, but I'm not against paying for quality that matters or going without quantity to enjoy quality.

My first time really EDCing would count when I was in Florida, living on nothing. I had a $150 pistol stuffed into a $4 holster, with a kershaw $20 walmart special in my pocket. I laughed when I was heading off on an RV adventure with my family this year as I was loading up my EDC bag:
    Les Baer ($2k) with $40 worth of spare ammo, sitting in a $130 full custom holster. In the bag (5.11 that I paid $100 for but has lasted a decade) was a noveske AR pistol (afraid to add it up) wearing a quality dot, surefire light, and $2/round ammo. Quality fenix and streamlight lights in my pocket, along with custom leather wallet, super fancy german pocket knife, etc. interesting to see how it has evolved but I've spent my professional life getting my ducks in a row, so may as well enjoy some of it, right?

what I find ironic is I got murdered the same amount on that trip as I would have carrying only a sharp stick. However, we had a scary instance we thought someone was breaking into the RV while were asleep and I sure as hell didn't wish for a cheaper pistol that shot less good in that moment.

aicolainen and CV801 like this.
  8. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

oh yeah, I'll add: I spend money where it's important to me. I personally don't care about umbrellas. at all.(That's cool you do, not trying to make fun). They keep me dry but my skin is waterproof so I don't super care. I buy the big $4 versions at home depot every time I break one or lose one, or the inlaws steal it by accident. Lifetime, I'm at 3. so that's $12 over the last decade. at this rate I'll be at under $60 for a life time supply of umbrellas.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Lol. I don't think umbrellas were the focus. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "where it's important to me". If it's an item that means something to me I want nice not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

For me, investing in a $200+ umbrella would be beyond pointless, it would be the epitome of fiscal foolishness. I have owned exactly two umbrellas in my life. One, courtesy of Uncle Sam. The second, a $7 NYC special that I bought during a deluge whilst on a visit to NYC. (It was kinda freaky to me to see all these folks appear out of nowhere selling umbrellas!) Living in the desert has some advantages, one of them being little need for an umbrella.

Your point though is well taken. I appreciate quality, but some things I just can't wrap my head around. Watches are one of them. Again, I rarely wear one, so that skews my perspective.

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Nevada and @_mg_: hmm. inflation has really hit. Or y'all have 'tourist' signs all over you. I used to never pay more than $3 for a street umbrella in NYC; as recently as 5 years ago!

But I'm STILL glad I said 'Hasta Lavista' to NYC long ago! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MCPOWoller likes this.
  12. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

yes, but what's the potential collateral damage from a damaged umbrella?

13. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

IIRC, I paid $5 for mine in 2004, but I may have had "tourist sucker" plastered all over me. The $7 was simply quoting from the prior post.

14. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

Each person's sweet spot is different, both because of available resources but also because of how they weight different values.

As an example, my EDC pens all cost about $15 or $2,000, depending on how the accounting is done. Most of the ballpoints have Schmidt refills now, as do the rollerballs. (No fountains, don't like 'em.) So how do the accountants come up with a $2,000 cost for a pen? Capital costs distributed over a small output. I turn them myself, and the shop ain't cheap. Conversely, if the labor is free and the tooling and space aren't counted, then the cost is @ $15.

But I made them. Somebody (me) who cared about it. And that's much of what goes into our perception of quality. Not only the purely functional aspects, but also "did the person who made this care, or is it just another product of a faceless corporation employing faceless workers turning out generic stuff for no reason other than someone will pay them for it."

15. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

hey-ey, hold your horse, cowboy. There are surely a lot of Europeans to feel sorry for, and most of us are worse off than Americans, but it ain't all bad. A handful of European countries are among the least restrictive in the world.
    Personally (as fairly active Norwegian competitive shooter and hunter) there isn't a gun I want that I'm not or wouldn't be allowed to buy. My restrictions at this time are purely financial.
    It could be better still. Gun ownership here, is a privilege, not a right. And it's a privilege you can easily loose. Self defense of any form is practically illegal and knife laws are laughable, but at least I can shoot paper all I want. And hey, I can even walk into any gun shop and buy as many silencers as I could possibly wish for, without any paperwork :D

ran23 and Journo like this.
  16. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^
    Well put! There is a gun I would struggle to get though. AF2011 in all of it’s ridiculouss glory would be hard to obtain permit for in my neck of the woods. Yes, I’d want one but..

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 Mark_Trail, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

I started with cheaper knives then went on to more expensive ones like bm, sc and zt
    Now because of the Rand dollar exchange and the crazy prices of knives my side, I've gone back to cheaper knives

MCPOWoller likes this.
  18. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Well, the last time I bought one was probably close to 20 years ago, so go figure... Oh, and as I recall, the price goes up proportionately with the volume of rain currently falling on your head.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

I've always leaned toward having those few really good things that last a lifetime. Especially the essentials like tools, weapons, good coat & boots, etc.
    There are those things that I simply will not go cheap on, and those things I will never pay 1 cent more than I absolutely must. I love my Snap-on ratchets, yet I have few Snap-on sockets for them. Sockets are the consumable item and harbor freight is easier to replace. It doesn't feel like a sin if I need to grind one down to fit, I don't feel any loss when they split, and I don't have to wait for the truck to get a new one. When someone ask to borrow a tool, it's the cheap stuff I hand out.
    I'll spend hundreds on a knife, and walk in the rain before letting go of a dime for an umbrella because that would be taking 10 cents away from the next mnandi or whatever catches my eye.
    A madness few understand.

20. dalewa
    • +1 Supporter

dalewa Loaded Pockets

Let me start by admitting that I am an old fart.
    In my early 20's, I bought a Polo brand checkbook.(do you remember checks?) It cost $100.00
    My friends thought I had lost my mind. Now, here it is some 40 odd years later and I am still using it. Not as often, but use it just the same.
    30 years ago I bought a Mont Blanc ballpoint. I left somewhere a couple of months ago. (maybe I am losing my mind) …
    I bought another one.
    I want a Rolex Explorer, but never could convince myself to spend that much money on a watch, so what did I do ? I spent the cost of the Rolex twice over on cheap watches.
    My point is quality items are worth the money, at least to myself.

Maybe I will buy the Rolex before I am gone.. the clock keeps ticking...……..

aicolainen, Moshe ben David and CV801 like this.