1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC - Everyday Car - a question

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Blackheart, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

My two cents go to the Subaru, capable and unbreakable. If you can’t get Hilux, G-wagen or Defender I’d say Subaru. Or can you get Jeeps with stick still?

I take it you’re looking for new/newish, so no point on singing praise to GMT400 or some such?

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Merry Christmas to All!!!

I'm familiar with the Hilux only because of news reports from the Middle East showing bands of armed terrorists on the move. The G-wagen and Defender are rare in the U.S. as they were probably imported by individuals for their own use. Looks like anything built by GM on the GMT400 platform is at least 17 years old, which in this area means it's now most likely a pile of powdery rust somewhere.

"Jeeps" are still commonly available with stick. I don't want to offend the many Jeep owners here. Suffice it to say that, in my experience, whenever a Jeep owner talks about their vehicle, it usually starts off with "I love my Jeep, BUT...".

I started looking at listings of vehicles more than 600mi. away and found that what I'm looking for, in the Toyota Tacoma model at least, is more common in the South. I'll have to consider this (I've done it before), but getting to the airport, flying into another city, getting to the dealership (taking a cab, renting another vehicle, using some ride service, etc) is just such a hassle, and now the dealer knows you've traveled quite a ways and you're probably going to be reluctant to go home empty-handed. There's the driving option, but it has its own hassles.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Blackheart: During my Asia days I saw Hilux in every country. For that matter, also Isuzu in many variants. Those times and places were not known for terrorists; most of them still aren't. But the trucks are very well known for being workhorses and affordable.

As far as the dealer knowing how far you've come... you don't really have to say anything to them about that until after the haggling is done, unless you're doing financing and they check a credit report early on. At least that's how I'd try to play it!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

Newer Jeeps have that problem mines gone 160,000 and the only repair it's needed was a windshield wiper motor.

My wife wants me to move on too and I'm looking at mostly the same stuff you are but I think I've decided on a 4runner.

5. Blackheart

Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Another attractive vehicle that's available everywhere EXCEPT the U.S. for whatever reason (safety, emissions, or fuel economy usually). Apparently insurgent groups import used trucks from other countries. There was a plumber in the States that noticed a pickup he had sold in the news from the Middle East that still had his name and contact info painted on it.

I'm going to look into buying through the dealer's internet sales person and using a trucking company to get the vehicle from there to here (cost isn't that bad compared to getting myself there and back). This means buying sight-unseen, but what can one really tell by looking at vehicle, anyway? Of course I'll be checking CARFAX to make sure the vehicle really is one owner and has no accident history* .

* - this part bothers me as I don't know how much faith I want to put in CARFAX, they apparently have some sort of guarantee, but....

Cheers!

6. Blackheart

So what model/year Jeep do you have?

New or used? You must not have the same manual transmission requirement.

7. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

My Jeep is a 99 Wrangler.

I don't have a manual requirement I have a dependable and body on frame requirement.

kikaida and Blackheart like this.
  8. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Regarding Hiluxes etc. popping up in hot spots: there are several companies who source old Hiaces, Hiluxes, Dynas, Nissan Patrols etc. + any old Peugeot sedan, W123/124 Mercs and alike and sell them to Africa. I guess some of those are bound to end up in news..

We’ve actually sold an old run down Dyna and rusty as hell Canter to local boy doing just that

I actually swing by his warehouse yard occasionally to look for W115 or W123 MB worth saving from trip to Cairo

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackheart likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You're a more trusting soul than I. For me the other thing with buying a vehicle sight unseen is quite simply that I need to sit in the vehicle; also to drive it. Not so much to see if it is mechanically sound, etc. But more than once I've been vehicle shopping and sat in a model that beforehand I 'knew' based on all my research I wanted. Only to find that when in the driver's seat I hated it. Could have been the seat; could have been the instrument layout; could have been blind spots I didn't expect to find. Sometimes less than 10 seconds in the seat convinced me no way would I want to drive it. Sometimes it entailed a circuit 'around the block'.

Best of luck! Looking forward to hearing how this winds up for you. Hope it all works out as you'd like!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

kikaida likes this.
  10. Blackheart

Meh. I hear what you're saying, but that's the beauty of having very few choices... Not a lot of fretting over which make/model.

I've owned a variety of vehicles over the years. I usually went with what was cheap, readily available, and had the possibility of at least being somewhat reliable. I haven't been disappointed. I think I've gotten more than my money's worth out of every one. Each one had its peculiarities, but nothing I couldn't either adapt to, or find a workaround for.

11. Minos

Minos Loaded Pockets

I had a manual Honda Element like ten years ago. I loved it. You can fit so much stuff in it when you take the seats out. Now I have a Subaru XV Crosstrek that I love. It is a CVT transmission, and it also has a mode where you can switch over to and using some toggles on the steering wheel change gears. Obviously there is no clutch but it’s a really fun feature and you get all the benefits of using lower gears for getting out of mud and stuff. Subaru makes great vehicles. Definitely don’t change out the interior. It messes their air bags and warranty up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Last edited by McNasty, Dec 29, 2017
    #32 McNasty, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    kikaida likes this.
  13. Blackheart

Care to elaborate? ...or is this a Bad Karma thing?

The only problem I have with not actually being there in person, when buying from a dealer, is that I cannot take the vehicle to a body shop to have it checked for body work. Whenever there's collision damage that has been repaired, the factory rust-proofing has been compromised and there's an above average chance of rot in that area. If you think you can spot a body repair, and you're not and never have been in the business, you're fooling yourself.

That's a 15 year old vehicle and a unibody. If I lived in the sunny South, Southwest, or West, I would consider it. If you question my judgment, allow me to mention that I've gotten 17 years of service (so far) out of my last purchase. Mechanically and structurally, it's still going strong.

14. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Not questioning anyone's judgement. You have had a negative reaction to every reply in your thread.

15. Blackheart

Really? I don't think so.

(Thanks for choosing an apt handle.)

16. Blackheart

Didn't want to leave this thread just hanging there, so...

[​IMG]

This is what I ended up with. Dealer's photo, not mine, though it's currently sitting in my driveway covered with snow.

Toyota Tacoma, 2017, 4x4, access cab with the 3.5L V6 and a *manual* transmission. It's "pre-owned". I just couldn't talk myself into buying new. It would have been a first. In fact, it would have been difficult to buy a new one. I would have had to go out-of-state, wayyyy out-of-state. I called around to several dealers and as soon as I said "Tacoma, access cab, manual." they'd say "Nope. Can't get them." One sales manager explained that there are very few of these allocated by Toyota to the northern Midwest region. They're far more common in the South and West. This one I had trucked in from Western Missouri.

17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Excellent,Congratulations!

I proclaim this day Taco Tuesday in your Honor!

ran23 likes this.
  18. Blackheart

Gosh. I don't know what to say...

Thanks!

(I will name it Toby... Toby the Taco)