1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC/DSLR Bag Recommendations?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Justinp, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

Hey all. I'm in the market for a new edc bag but recently have gotten into photography and like to carry my camera with me. I currently carry two bags, a small red rock outdoors sling bag that's falling apart, and the huge canon bag that came with my camera. I want a bag that I can use as both my edc bag and my camera bag. Maybe a bag that I can take on a hike and carry the camera and food and water etc. I'm trying to keep it under 50 bucks if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

cowboyarcher likes this.
  2. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Not under 50$ but the vanquest trident 20 is made for what you seek.

steeps likes this.
  3. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Good quality dedicated camera bags are going to cost a fair bit more than your budget. Best bet is to find the backpack or sling you want (guessing from your comments about going for a hike) and get a padded insert that fits.

Scoman likes this.
  4. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at the trident and javelin 2.0. Was hoping someone out there knew of a cheaper alternative. I guess you get what you pay for though and the vanquest will last me a while.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

5. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

I use a MountainSmith Kit Cube insert in my regular bags and love it. I know a certain national outdoor mountain-type sporting goods chain carries them in-store so you can get your hands on them and see what you think.

6. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

I use a Max Ped Jumbo for my DSLR this is it sitting snug with an 18-200. Use it all the time with no problems.

I've carried it with a 50 and put my 300 In the bottle pocket too.

We spent three weeks in California/Arizona & Navada and it was a great bag. Big enough to carry everything I needed on day trips.

[​IMG][​IMG]

demPho likes this.
  7. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Also more than 50, but take a look at the Kata 3N1 series - it's got a uniquely versatile strapping system that works quite well.

8. Ben Rubinstein

I have a Crumpler Pretty Boy XXXL which has been my EDC and camera bag for 9 years or so. Really great bag and should be around that price.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Avoid going "economy" (cheap) with a camera bag. Your camera deserves better if you have invested in good hardware. Consider Think Tank products.

gearheavy and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  10. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

You need to seriously consider raising your budget. Spending less than $50 for a camera/EDC/hiking bag will only buy you regret.

0dBm likes this.
  11. Ben Rubinstein

You can get a really good camera bag for that price if you're willing to sacrifice the food/drink requirement. Camera bags are really bad at doing general carry in a backpack configuration. They are way overpadded, not well designed for the trail, heavy and bulky. They are also mostly going to be out of your price range. An insert is going to be your best option. Or something like the kata bags (now manfrotto) designed specifically to carry photo gear and personal stuff.

You can get some really nice camera (only) bags from reputable companies for that price. The bag I referenced above is $40 on the river site, I've carried it daily as both EDC and as a camera bag for 9 years through middle eastern sun, unbelievable downpours and everything in between, it hardly even looks used. Yes my Thinktank UD60 bag is better but that Crumpler just does the job. There are plenty of cheap Lowepro, Tenba, Crumpler, etc bags which are top quality and will never miss a beat. I've owned two Lowerpro bags at under that price point, a slingshot and a flipside, both could easily last a decade of hard use.

12. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

If money really is an issue (and it can be for some) I have been playing with this bag

Fieldline Tactical sold at Wal Mart
    [​IMG]

Not the best bag in the world but so far it's decent. I use a cheap camera bag insert to provide some padding for my SLR, I also added a cross body strap like the Sitka. Helps carry the load better.

Mine carries all this plus more

[​IMG]