1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC DOG TAGS?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by peacefuljeffrey, Sep 21, 2006.

1. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

So, how do we go about setting up this group buy? I think the interest is there, and it we've decided on a good supplier...

2. TheGibbling

TheGibbling Empty Pockets

I'd be up for the group buy. The info on my tags is outdated in places. I could use an update in Ti.

3. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

4. jafo

jafo Empty Pockets

What are you people doing that you need Ti tags? :D

Have had my issue ones onmy keychain for almost 20 years now [well, 6 of that they hung round my neck]. Still completely serviceable and undistinguishable from the new ones I just had made for my other keys.

5. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Maybe you can encrypt all your information in a pendrive or SD card and then put the password in a dogtag so it can be used in case of emergency but nobody will steal your id if you lose your pendrive.

Luigi

6. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Hi what info is on your dog tags on the keyring. Here in the UK we have secure unique ID schemes for getting keys back to the user. I am sure they have the same around the world. I wouldn't recommend attaching anything with your name or anything which could identify you, if they find your keys they could use that to find out what they fit. :eek:

7. jafo

jafo Empty Pockets

writing down or otherwise recording a password= no sense in encrypting the data in the first place.....

8. jafo

jafo Empty Pockets

Mine have the standard issue info.
    lastname
    firstname, middle initial
    SSN
    bloodtype
    religious afiliation

Yes I realize in this age of ID Theft the SSN info on them isn't wise. So I've decided to go this route:

first initial. Lastname
    Call For Reward!
    full phone number

I have two more lines, not sure what I'll put there. Suggestions?

Ah well. Wasted $20 having 3 sets made up for my other keychains last time. I suppose I'm allowed a moment of stupid now 'n again, particularly when coming off midwatch? :D :lolhammer:

I have recently started to wear my issue tags with the standard info on them, though. As I've been out of service for 12 years, wife thinks it's a bit strange. Here's my reasoning, though: as I've recently become a motorcyclist, it may well save my life in event of an accident. Bikers tend not to be terribly good at communicating info when they've just been run over. With my name, SSN, and blood type ready at hand, the Medics have all the information they need to treat me [bloodtype, no known allergies] at hand, and everything they need to pull up my full history [SSN]. I also carry a printed-out sheet in my wallet with every bit of medically-significant info I can think of on it.

Speaking of wallets-- recently bought an All-Ett due to mention onthis forum- awesome thing!!

9. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

:zzz: :bump: :pirate: :evilgrin:

Thought I would wake this one back up. I was going to post this same question and decided to do a search first.

so what are your thoughts on this subject now over two years later?
    Anyone wear dog taks every day?
    Carry them in your bag? On your key chain?

Your thoughts?

10. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I thought about getting one of the dog tag knives, but don't know if they work very well. Anyone have one? :shrug:

11. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

Most of the guys in my unit hated em. We'd loop the little chain around a belt loop and keep em in our front pocket. And one laced in a boot of course.

And unless you are part of a group who might all be violently killed in such a way as to be unidentifiable (and none of whom can carry other id) they aren't super necessary. I personally think it's a bit annoying when civilians wear them, but I'm a bit over-sensitive.

12. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

If you want to be authentic, Gas Mask size should be included. :shocked:

13. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

HHmm never heard of that .., Air Force don't put Gas Mask size on the dog tags. :shrug:

14. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I have a dog tag on my keys and one on my EDC bag. All they have is my name, and phone number.
    Tags "might" help an honest person return to me if lost.

15. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

Yes but, the fine facilities; resturants, hotels, golf courses, etc made available (usually) to those TAD/TDY from the rest of the military more than makes up for it. :laugh:

16. vipers

vipers Loaded Pockets

Army doesn't either. At least I have never seen or heard of that since 1989 when I got my first set. Thanks to the joy of google it looks like may be a USMC thing.

17. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I have had dog tags on my keys since I got out of the Army. When identity theft started becoming a big deal I went to Ranger Joe's web site and ordered a set with my telephone # in place of my SSN like others in this thread did. Then it occurred to me that my house key was on the same key ring and someone could easily do a reverse lookup and find my home address. So now I have the standard info but changed my home # to my cell phone #. That way if I lose my keys and someone wants to be a good samaritan they can still get in touch with me. And I don't have to worry about changing the locks if they aren't. :)