1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC dilemna

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by expatadam, Apr 18, 2019.

1. expatadam

expatadam Empty Pockets

First of all thanks for letting me join. Long time listener, first time caller here. Ok so long story short, originally from Texas where guns and knives are legal and accepted and two years ago moved to The Netherlands. Im not a prepper so I dont carry anything in that regard. I used to carry my knife and bug on ankle but moving here obviously thats illegal. So im having to keep my edc light and casual. Im a professional photographer so I already carry a huge camera bag but thats for when im out shooting. And heres the dilemna, im torn between these three bags for my casual urban edc. Jack wolfskin Swift, JW vertical messenger type bag and the NIke tech bag. In the photos is what i carry on my person 90% of the time. I like the JW Swift used as a sling, but then i like the JW vertical for a bit more space but a part of me thinks its a bit too big so i like the Nike tech bag but that what all the other 25 year old skinny jeans scooter riding guys wear and im 41. Can someone help me decide for the right european casual murse? I think i have a problem. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Your only problem is caring what other people think. F* ‘em and carry what you want. I’d carry the Nike Tech bag myself.

JHGM and expatadam like this.
  3. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I would put all my stuff in the Jack wolfskin fanny pack then sling that in the last bag pictured , this will enable.me to chuck a coat or items i buy in the spare room afforded by the bag

SirCache and expatadam like this.
  4. expatadam

expatadam Empty Pockets

Youre absolutely correct sir. And even worst now where im trying to fit in.

5. expatadam

expatadam Empty Pockets

Yea im aiming more towards the vertical carry as well. Guess i can use the fanny pack in sling form for recreational outings. Ugh man i swear whod thought carry stuff would be so complicated lol

Jay-uk likes this.
  6. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I know right ,totally agree

I use a Helikon Bandicoot with 99% of my EDC packed in then that sits in the bottom of my 5.11 AMP 24, which has hat,gives water bottles and room for any additional
    Stuff i may need to carry.
    In the rear hydration i have an alpkit dry bag , so i can max out with two full bags and a fancy pack if i go shopping or unexpectedly need to take a load but mostly its light and empty as it can be.

For me flexibility and adaptability rank high ,a lot of the time there's a family member of friend who needs some carry assistance.

Maybe trial a set up and enjoy the process see what works for you , for me half the fun in EDC is the trail and error

7. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

8. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

The L1 suggested by aldo_vic_t looks nice for keeping your load close to your body, i.e., when you're on a bicycle or an area where theft is common. If you have more bulk and need more volume, I'll suggest two bags I think are excellent values and very versatile:
    1. the Bushcraft Satchel by Helikon-Tex
    2. the CHIO Bag by Alpha One Niner

9. SirCache

SirCache Loaded Pockets

Funny enough, when I was looking for a sling for some travel in Europe over the last few years, I went with the Hazard4 Kato specifically because of the large flap that would help deter anyone from trying to do a stealthy unzip. Worked like a charm, I have been multiple times in some not so great areas in Spain, London, and Paris--never had a problem. Good to know that keeping my stuff on me is other people's first concern!

NorthernHarrier likes this.
  10. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I agree that a solid buckle on a large flap does give one a feeling of protection against quick and easy theft - although it also provides an obstacle for you, too. I personally don't use messenger bags for the reason that I just don't like having a large flap in my way when I want to enter a bag's compartments. I do leave myself open to people fooling with zippers when I'm in crowded conditions, but I tend to keep my eye on my bag in those conditions, also, and I keep valuables in pockets not accessible to others in such situations.

SirCache likes this.