1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Deployment Debrief

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by jake8311, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jake8311

jake8311 Empty Pockets

First of all, bear with me on spelling and grammar, this is my first night back from deployment and I'm pretty buzzed. This post is meant as a sort of debrief for me after my first deployment. I think I learned a lot of EDC lessons while I was gone and I want to share them with you guys. This isn't meant as any kind of tough-guy military advice or anything, just the thoughts of a guy who worked way too many hours for 5 months straight.

A little backround of myself. I've been a lurker here for a long time, taking in a lot of information but never really sharing my own. I don't have any good reason for not posting, but I figured this would be a good start for me. I've been in the U.S Navy for about 2 ½ years, and work as a Gas Turbine Technician(electrical) on a frigate. My job is very diverse in that I do a broad range of both mechanical and electrical work on a daily basis. Along with this, the work I do is spread throughout the ship so carrying a bag of tools with me is cumbersome and I try to take care of as many jobs as possible with what I'm carrying on my person. Thus my EDC is catered to these kinds of tasks and is much different from what I carry when I'm off work and in civilian clothes.

First of all, a list of my EDC is necessary so you get an idea of the whole picture for how I worked.
    • Knife: Benchmade Griptillian 551
    • Multitool: Leatherman Wave/Leatherman Skeletool
    • Flashlight: Maglite XL 200
    • Phone: Galaxy S3
    • Boots: Worx by Red Wing Shoes
    • Coveralls
    • Write in the Rain Notepad
    • Pens and Grease Pencils

I'll start from the top of the list with the knife. I bought my Griptillian a few months before we left for deployment. I bought the serrated model, primarily because that was the only one they had at the Exchange, I personally prefer straight edge. While on deployment I used it in normal everyday tasks: cutting string, zip ties, gasket material, stuff that isn't too demanding but I need a knife for on a daily basis. The Griptillian held up beautifully, with good edge retention and of course the Axis lock worked wonders. Throughout the deployment, I saw other people's knives fail, including knives from very reputable brands, while the Griptillian performed flawlessly. Granted I give most of the credit to me taking care of my knife and not abusing it like many of the other guys did their knives. The black coating on the blade did a great job of preventing rust which was a constant struggle with other tools(will be discussed later) and the only signs of wear on the knife are a few scuff marks on the coating near the tip, and a good amount of wear on the black coating on the pocket clip.

Next up is Multitools. I started out the deployment with a Leatherman Wave which is a multitool I had owned for about 3 years prior to the deployment and had a soft spot in my heart. I used that thing for everything and it seemed like every day I found a new use for it....until some jackass stole it. It disappeared out of my coveralls one day never to be seen again. So I was out a multitool for about a month till we pulled into port and I could buy a new one. The only one I could find was a Leatherman Skeletool. I had already read reviews of it and wasn't exstatic but it was the best they had, so I bought it. As most of you know, the Skeletool features very minimal tools, at a large(comparitively compared to other Leatherman Multitools) size. The first gimmicky thing I found was the “carbon fiber liners” the tool featured, which turned out to be a strip of carbon fiber about an inch long along one section of the handle, making no noticable difference in weight. Almost the entire rest of the tool was a plain stainless steel which was subject to constant corrosion from the high salt content of the air in the middle of the ocean. Almost weekly I had to clean and oil it(I used machinery oil that we use on our big equipment, this might have had different effects than specific knife oil). The pliers on it also left much to be desired. The handles were shaped in a poor way such that it made it very difficult to torque down on something. Also how the screwdriver was designed, you had to have the pliers open to access the screwdriver, which was something new to me coming from using a Wave for years. Overall the Skeletool got the job done, but not nearly as well as the Wave and not nearly as many jobs as the Wave could handle.

Now onto my flashlight. Again I bought the Maglite a few months prior to deployment and was very happy with it going into deployment. The Maglite XL200 is marketed as having 172 lumens which I can't verify, but it was always powerful enough to get the job done with whatever I needed. It features a very deep bezel which meant that the flashlight had a very impressive throw to it. I'm not a flashlight guy at all, so I can't give you any kind of technical test or assessment of the flashlight, but I know it worked for me in all of the situations I needed it to. The only thing that needed fixing was the grip on the casing. It had no knurling of any kind, and with my hands covered in fuel or oil on a daily basis I needed something to add to the grip. I added a few strips of non-skid tape(similar to skateboard tape) and that worked like a charm.

Despite being on the other side of the world and stuck below decks, my smartphone was actually of huge use to me. It was my primary source of entertainment while overseas and I used it everyday. Some of the most used apps were the music player, Kindle App, Candy Crush, Navy Federal(when we were in port and had wifi), and Metrics Conversion(very handy for when I need a certain size wrench and can only find metrics)

Last EDC item I want to talk about is my boots. While being in the Navy I have worn several different pairs of crappy uniform boots, and none of them have been very comfortable. I am on my feet 14-18 hours a day and need something that will be comfortable throughout that period. I got the Red Wing boots a few months before deployment and was sold right away. The model I bought were side-zip which was very helpful for me as I'm also one of the first responder firefighters for my ship, so changing in and out of boots quickly is important. I wore those things every day for 5 months straight and my feet were never hurting at the end of the day, they were just as comfortable as when I first put them on in the morning. The only downside to the boots was that the sole was not slip resistant(as advertised) at all. Any kind of fuel or oil on the deck and I was slipping around like crazy.

So like I said, pretty buzzed right now, and headed back out to the bar. Feel free to ask questions, I'm sure I missed a bunch of talking points I wanted to touch on.

Nim, zatoichi, powerring and 17 others like this.
  2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome home and thank you for your service. Thank you for the review. The red wings you have are they the kind with laces and a side zip? I've been thinking about getting some side zip boots and I think I want laces too to help with keeping them tight

Remember, big brother is watching

warchild and swany66675 like this.
  3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Welcome home, Jake. Thanks for your service. Merry Christmas. Welcome to the forum.

4. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thank you for your service! And, thank you for the debrief. Much appreciated! Have a great Christmas!

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks for your service and Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

6. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

I couldn't say it better. Nice to meet you Sir.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Thank you for helping to preserve our way of life and keeping our nation the free society that it is.

8. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Welcome home. My son was a cook on a frigate for a couple of years, the Halyburton.

Sent by Owl Post

vinniec5 and warchild like this.
  9. RoadWizard

RoadWizard Loaded Pockets

Welcome back, thanks your service. Have a safe and merry Christmas!

Cobra 6 Actual and warchild like this.
  10. andrewbisgnar

andrewbisgnar Loaded Pockets

11. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

Glad you're back in time for Christmas. Thanks for serving.

12. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Welcome home! Welcome here! Thanks for your service and Merry Christmas!!!!!

Xiii and RoadWizard like this.
  13. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I speak from experience no matter what the advertising say's no boots survive their first contact with a slippy deck. In days of yore we used to scrub and polish our decks every day, they were immaculate. Our fabulous 'non-slip' boots (had to wear the issue boots, no alternative) had us looking like bambi on ice once the water and detergent was down. What a pain. Welcome back, good job, I hope you were nice to any Royal Navy 'matelots' you met. ;-)

Cobra 6 Actual and RoadWizard like this.
  14. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

What he said! :cool:

Sounds like you need to get a new Wave!

SAKplumber and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome back!

Just a word of experience: enjoy the bars in moderation. Have fun and indulge yourself, but don't get yourself jammed up in the heady rush of being home.

That said, thanks for the review! It was very informative. :D

RoadWizard and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  16. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

Welcome home!

17. jake8311

jake8311 Empty Pockets

Thank you all for the support, I really appreciate it. CatherineM, I'm very familiar with the Halyburton, I'm stationed in Mayport so I see it all the time.

As for the Wave, I've been eyeing the SOG Powerlock lately and am thinking of trying one out. One of my friends has an older SOG multitool and I'm in love with the pliers. Smoothest pliers I've ever used on a multitool.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  18. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Thank you for your service !! Merry Christmas !! Stay safe!

19. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

Thank you for your service and merry Christmas.

20. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

So do you plan on replacing the Skeleton and Worx boots? Sounds like you could go either way on the boots depending on how important the slip resistance is to you.