1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC dependency

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by severdhed, Oct 6, 2018.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I've thought about using a bag, but then i'd have to remember to grab it every time i went somewhere and i'm sure i'd forget it somewhere. carrying a bag is not very convenient. For instance, if i go to someones house to fix their email, I may not need any tools, it would be kind of ridiculous to walk in carrying a backpack. I'd be trading in my full pockets for what essentially ammounts to a purse, which doesn't sound appealing to me.

that is a great analogy. I never used to carry this much stuff with me a few years ago, but i find myself in a situation where i need a tool to fix something and i have to go searching for one...that is when that item gets added to my EDC, assuming it is practical to carry such an item. Over the years, i've built it up to a very extensive list of stuff, but its only because i've had a need for this stuff in the past. Just like a spare tire.

2. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

When I need to carry more than will fit in my pockets, I use a bag or a toolbox.

kikaida likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Maybe a belt pouch or 'fanny pack' would be a workable compromise?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

kikaida, Moose and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Embrace the bag!

Doesn't have to be a big bag, but it will help if you want to lug all that stuff around. Doesn't have to be a backpack either.

Moose, kikaida and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  5. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

This, I don't think anyone would find you turning up to fix their stuff, and carry a backpack, strange at all.

6. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Indeed. A descreet messenger bag maybe so if you are fixing someone's PC in a tiny room it's not getting awkward - it can't be any worse than emptying your pockets looking for that certain bit of kit. If it's not something you normally carry I guess you can feel a bit self conscious (I did a bit in my local small post industrial towns as bags aren't "the norm") but bigger towns and cities I'd say it's they norm for men to carry bags - look around you, you'd be surprised. And forgetting your bag? Ask you missus how many times she forgets hers - it won't be often.

It took me a while to embrace the bag, now I've got loads. That's your biggest problem!

Moose, kikaida and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

This.

I carry my 5.11 Push Pack when I'm in athletic gear, which is almost everyday. Other times, I'm just going minimal. For some, having all that gear makes them feel secure, and when they don't have them, they feel insecure, like having a security blanket. To each their own.

8. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

Carrying all that crap in my pockets would drive me more crazy then needing something and not having iy. The only things I carry in my pockets are phone, wallet, keys, knife, and flashlight at night. If I need to carry anything more it goes in a bag.

I love EDC but I also like to be light and free. It's about efficiency, those familiar with role playing games may have heard the term "min-maxing"- getting the most from the least. For example you have no less then 5 blades- on your person. What does the Leatherman CS do that the ES4 can't?

kikaida and aicolainen like this.
  9. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

There seems to be a value system at play here. You find great value, and pride in being prepared. Like many who has replyed already, I find great value in going light and fast, and keeping on body edc as minimal as possible.

I think you can acheive both if you open up to the idea of carrying some kind of bag, and even better if you work out a modular system. Separate equipment by use case.

When I had a more tool/equipment dependent job, I separated the equipment in kits, so I could carry just those relevant for each assignment or activity (in my backpack). I still do to some extent, but these days it´s not even remotely similar to your edc dependencies.
    If you have all your kits ready in your car, you can grab the one(s) that´s relevant for each assignment or activity and carry it in a suitable bag. If you are able to organize some of your gear in pocket organizers that fit in your cargo shorts, you might not even need a bag all the time, but still enjoy the advantage of not having your pockets stuffed around the clock.

I´m sure you´ll figure something out, remember it´s not a failure if you don´t have everything you need in your pockets. Nearby will usually save the day more than enough by anyones measure.
    Merry chritmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  10. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

Other options are perhaps a urban mini altoids tin type setup with all the small things you find yourself needing, or if you don't want a tin there is the micro pouch option like the Griffin earbud pouch (there are a few threads on these in the forum) or carry an extra velcro wallet similar to what Mzilch shows in a few of his youtube videos in various incarnations that you can customise to your needs. Or you can just add a few small things to your actual wallet if there is space such as duct tape around a used plastic card and a safety pin or three, a few bandaids, etc.

If you are carrying a torch you might get anywhere from 4" to two' of duct tape around the barrel depending on the size of the torch, more than enough for a small fix, even if you need a half it lengthwise for smaller torches.

Depending on weather if you have a light jacket = more pockets.

There are also a few really good duct tape spools people have made that you could add to keychain, or just a pill fob which you could add a few small items to and again wrap in a few inches of duct tape. Old plastic film cannisters... not to mention lanyards and passport belts that you wear under your clothing. Ye Olde bum bag (fanny pack).

If you wear a baseball cap you could possibly stash more stuff with some creativity. Wearing athletic shorts I doubt you wear a belt but there are a few good belt mods/customisations too for other occasions. The list goes on.

Otherwise depending on the age of your kids and what safe for them to carry maybe they can start their own little emergency kit to tuck away in their bag. A few cartoon character bandaids, some sort of tape, safety pin if approptiate, a few coins and a button LED light...? Maybe even a few small stickers for entertainment.

As for the dependency, I probably carry more than I should but as I change out bags between work week and weekend and catch a lot of public transport throughout the week, I tend to add some items that I always seem to need tucked around in everything, I have a larger dedicated EDC pouch I can swap between bags but if I decide to exclude for the day or very short trips there is a smaller one and there are also redundency items in my wallet which tend to get the most use, extras in varous pockets of the bags I am using, in the glove box of the car as well as a larger car kit and an even larger stash at work as no-one seems to keep even a screwdriver or a few bandaids. And yes I tend to feel naked without "stuff" even just going 5 minutes down the road to the store I tend to trudge back into the house and change into closed-in shoes and agonise on what to take, it's a problem which I usually solve by taking my whole handbag (average size shoulder bag that converts to a small backpack). It's not oversized compared to some handbags I see but everything has its place so I know exactly where everthing is stored and go straight to it. I really need to go over the items I carry and cut down on stuff I haven't used this year and really make an effort to minimalise what I carry, see what I miss (if anything) and gradually build on that.

11. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

On any given day I usually just have my wallet, phone, keys, and a small bottle of sanitizer. That's not enough to warrant a full kit.

12. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

No, fortunately, I can’t say tha I have. in fact, this is the reason my EDC has shrunk significantly through the years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I really hate when I don’t have something I need on me.

But as far as the no safety pin and duct tape, how could you. I actual carry a little duct tape and safety pin in my wallet.
    [​IMG]
    About 18in duct tape wrapped around the plastic card that holds my wallet pen with a safety pin tucked under the end of the tape. Fits easily in a credit card slot.

Treya and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  14. Hook

Hook Loaded Pockets

What I can't live without, is in my pockets. Phone, wallet, keys, chapstick, anbesol, lighter, mini maglite, knife or 2, copenhagen. Fire pager, and my g19 on my hip.

15. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I could go without any my of stuff other than my pocket knife. I feel naked without it.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

To quote WC Fields, the nearest I have got to real peril is to be standed in the desert without so much as a corkscrew: and having to survive on nothing but food and water for two weeks.

I think for most people edc is convenience rather than primal needs. I have been caught short a couple of time without adequate equipment, the most notable is staggering home drunk the couple of miles from the train station in pitch black without a flashlight. It ended with a tactical ditch encounter.

I certainty don't come out in a nervous sweat without immediate access to a cable tie...

Given the recent floods and storms here in Australia, my focus is more on emergency equipment in home and car. The most vital thing to carry is water, sunscreen and a how-hard-can-it-be smile.

tbzbbt

Treya, isoarska, kikaida and 3 others like this.
  17. SavageJak

SavageJak Loaded Pockets

I tend to run a 3 level EDC:. Pockets, bag, truck. I do carry a decent amount in my pockets though, and I feel naked without at least that.
    In my pockets 95% of the time:

Glock 48 or 29 w spare mag
    Knife (small fixed or large folder)

(Items below in Yellow Birch outfitter Pockit Pro Classic)
    Fisher Space Pen
    Kaweco Skyline fountain pen
    Traveler Co bullet pencil
    Streamlight ProTac 2
    Field Notes
    Duct tape around emergency credit card
    Safety Pin
    Needle and thread plus sail needle
    2 Band-Aids
    One Wipe Charlie
    Rubber bands and ranger bands
    Small super glue