1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC dependency

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by severdhed, Oct 6, 2018.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Have you found yourself on a situation where you aren't carrying your full EDC gear and you feel completely useless and stupid because of it? I carry a lot of gear on me at all times, and I use a good bit of it frequently. Because of this, my cargo shorts weigh about 9lbs. Sometimes in the evening or weekends, I will opt to wear some athletic style shorts that only have 2 pockets. This severely limits what I can carry. If I don't plan on leaving the house, then it's usually Just my phone in one pocket, and my Sog Reactor and a flashlight in the other. I very rarely ever leave the house like that, but if I do, my wallet and keys get shoved on those pockets as well.

Every single time I do this, I feel so vulnerable and handicapped. Sure, it is nice to loose the extra weight and not have a bunch of stuff bouncing around if I'm trying to run, but it never fails, I always find myself in a situation where I could really use an item that I'd normally have with me. Then I get mad at myself for not bringing it.

Last Saturday, I was cleaning out my basement, within the first 30 minutes I needed my car keys, a hex bit and driver, and a Sharpie marker. Normally my Skeletool and bit kit would have been there for me, but they were upstairs along with my keys, Sharpie, and all of my other gear.

Today I tried to take the kids to a Nerf gun war at a local park ( rained out ), but had to make a few other stops first. Because we were going to be running around, I had the 2-pocket shorts, so minimal carry. I had my wallet, but no pocket change, so I had to go back to the car to get 12 cents for tax at the dollar store. I needed duct tape and a safety pin to fix something of my daughter's, but if course I didn't have that on me either.

I really wish I could go about my daily life wearing comfortable clothes like so many other useless people, but I just hate feeling so helpless. Watching my children tease me about not being prepared was rough. My 7 year old daughter seemed offended... She looked at me and said "What do you mean you don't have any duct tape?" I could relate, because I was embarrassed that I thought I could leave the house without being prepared.

I just don't understand how people can go through life without an extensive EDC kit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

callforfire and twin63 like this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@severdhed: sounds like your 7 year old daughter is learning lessons early... she's gonna terrorize some guy some day!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

huntnow, flux and severdhed like this.
  3. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

No.
    Guess I am useless most of the time. I carry a backpack to work that has the gear I need to do my job, but I like as little as possible in my pockets. Weekends, the only thing I carry on me that you might consider "EDC" gear is a pocket knife, usually a Victorinox SAK.
    I leave stuff I might need in my car. If I am away from home, I drove there. If I am at home, I have whatever tools and gadgets I need.

Outbound likes this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I've always been pretty much a minimalist (goes back to backpacking days, I guess). A wallet (front pocket), pocket pen, keys with mini pliers, bottle opener & cigar punch, and knife du jour accompanies me during waking hours. Of course, I have access to other things, but not on my person. Oh, yeah, and a Thorfire Stainless TS07

Last edited by Tesla, Wednesday at 10:36 PM
    #4 Tesla, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 10:36 PM
    Outbound likes this.
  5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

The only time I have a pucker is if I forget my wallet or phone. That happens probably once every 3-4 years, and as soon as I realize my error I go home and get them.

Add a folded handkerchief to a back pocket, a F-701 pen, a MicroStream, and a Victorinox Super Tinker and I'm set. A G43 and folder are just extras.

Outbound likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Pretty much always on me:

Watch
    Eyeglasses
    Moneyclip
    Coin pouch
    Bifold wallet (credit cards, driver's license, cc size fresnel lens, some blank business cards for impromptu notes)
    Tool 'keyring' on a pocket dangler (LM Squirt PS4, NiteIze Doohickey, County Com micro-widgy, house keys)
    Car keys on S-biner on belt loop
    Altoids FAK
    Pocket step counter
    Leather sheath with Streamlight Microstream and Fisher telescoping space pen
    LM Blast in a belt pouch with a couple of auxiliary flat wrenches
    Primary blade - usually PE approx 3" or so
    Secondary blade - usually SE in coin pocket
    Cell phone (old school flip phone, a 'dumb' phone :) )

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ArkansasFan30, severdhed and twin63 like this.
  7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Occasionally I have to wear office smart clothing to work. I really begrudge having to go to my work bag or lock for something that would normally be clipped to a pocket or my belt!

severdhed, twin63 and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

My wallet and pocket knife are the only items that I stress about if they’re not on me. I like having my phone, too, but I’ve forgotten it enough times to know that it’s not the end of the world. Same goes for lip balm and eye drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I could go for weeks without needing super glue, needle and thread or a zip tie, but the first time I don't have them on me, I need them. Then I get really mad at myself for not carrying them. I just really enjoy knowing that I can walk into most situations and just be able to do what I need to do. I have a hectic schedule and four small children, I don't have time to go searching for a torx bit, or a lighter. When my daughter had her glasses knocked off and they fell 10ft down a storm drain, I was very thankful that I could simply reach into my pocket, pull out my gravity hook xs and 15ft of paracord and quickly retrieve them.
    Someday I wish I didn't feel compelled to carry all of this stuff, but I just hate feeling unprepared and helpless.

10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Camelbak Lobo (or similar) or The smallest Marmot lumbar pack worn cross sling will greatly extend what you can carry even wearing gym shorts.

ATB,
    Sam

huntnow likes this.
  11. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Off-work days:

Kicking around home: Nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Not even my watch. Half the time I don't even know where my phone is and have to get the wife to call it before bed time so I can plug it in at night.

Leaving the house: Wallet, keys, phone, watch and a knife. Sunglasses if it's sunny. Sometimes I leave the house without my phone because, well...screw phones (says the 29 year old. LOL)

At-work: Whatever pen I've recently stolen from a co-worker and a Markal Silver Streak pencil. Maybe a piece of soapstone. Literally no other tools carried on my person.

Here's why I'm so minimal:

1. At work, at home and around town: I'm rarely more than a couple minutes from my truck. In the truck are a trauma kit, small tool kit, survival kit, fire extinguisher and other odds and ends like a spare pair of sunglasses. More than I've ever needed while out and about.

2. At home: I'm seconds away from virtually anything I need. There's probably $10,000 in tools, plus another few grand in misc equipment spread around the house, never mind all the consumables etc I have squirreled away. If I don't have it, I can hop in my truck and go get it. Back to point 1.

3. At work: I work in a welding shop. Stuff gets destroyed and stuff like watches are a hazard. I also have a toolbox stuffed with about $3000 in tools, plus access to virtually all the tools in a well equipped fab shop. There's also a trauma kit and AED available. Worst case, I need the kit in my truck. Back to point 1.

In a nutshell, if I don't have it within relatively immediate access I have the means to go get whatever it is.

I have honestly never experienced a situation where I actually felt useless because I didn't have something on me. Usually it's a matter of..."Well :censored:. Guess I gotta go get whatever it is I need to do the job". Nothing that can be fixed with duct tape and a safety pin can't wait 10, 20, 30min+.

Worst case scenario is a major first aid situation and I need to improvise a tourniquet or something. Meh. I'm trained for that.

12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Good enough for Jerry Jones, too, & oh yeah, me....:wavespin:

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. ArkansasFan30

ROFL @ "dumb phone."

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

so i guess it depends greatly on your situation. I work in the I.T. field for a small tech company. (3 employees). I do everything from PC repair, virus removal, networking, running cables, installing/mounting equipment, software setup, all kinds of stuff. Some days i'm mostly in the workshop, other days, i'm driving all over the place from client to client. I never know where i'm going to be the next day, or what i may get into. I might walk into a client to fix a computer that won't print and while i'm there, i end up running ethernet cable through the ceiling and mounting a new wireless access point, then get asked to pull the hard drive out of an old PC that they are going to recycle and then have to remove a bunch of staples that someone dropped into their laser printer. I get up in the morning, get ready for work, drop the kids off at school on my way, then frequently go straight from work to a football practice/game or some other kid event. I do have tools readily available at my shop and at my house, and i keep a basic selection of tools in my car, along with various work related items like a wide selection of cables, spare router and switch, power strips, etc. I don't mind having to run to my car for certain things that i don't use frequently. I don't carry ethernet crimpers and related items on me at all times, so when i'm running cables, i grab that stuff. On the other hand, i frequently find myself in the needs of various items such as screwdrivers, pliers, a knife and a flashlight, so i'm never without those. I guess i just carry so much stuff with me on a regular basis that I am so accustomed to not needing to go look for something, that when i actually do i feel helpless. On a regular day, i carry the following:

Victornox Huntsman (primarily used for the small blade, awl/reamer, toothpick and tweezers)
    Leatherman Skeletool
    Leatherman bit kit, along with custom made 2" long #1 Phillips bit for hard to reach areas
    Phone (google Pixel 2 XL)
    Wallet
    Key ring with 3 keys (home, work, mom's house), plus the keys for my car and my wife's car
    Gravity Hook XS with 15ft of paracord
    6ft measuring tape
    pill fob with benedryl, advil, tylenol, immodium, etc
    small zipper pouch with bluetooth headphones and a ziploc bag large enough to fit my phone inside
    USB micro SD card reader
    several USB flash drives with various programs and utilities on them as well as bootable windows installers
    usb wifi dongle
    precision screwdriver with various small bits in the handle
    Gerber EAB utility knife
    Leatherman Style CS
    Leatherman Squirt ES4
    custom made folding flush cut pliers with knockoff leatherman micra handles
    lighter
    Micro USB cable with USB C adapters for both ends
    Sharpie mini black marker
    Sharpie mini marker that has bic pen internals
    Ultratac K18 flashlight on custom belt holster (10440, 300 lumens, backup light, or when i need to hold one in my mouth)
    Thorfire VG15S flashlight on custom belt holster (18650, 1070 lumens, primary light)
    Altoids kit with super glue, zip ties, small screws for mounting things, bandaids, razor blade, neosporin, twist ties, rubber band, usb charger for ultratac k18 flashlight, needles and thread, spare buttons for pants, safety pins, paper clip.
    handkerchief
    30ft paracord in bracelet form that hooks on belt loop and hangs down inside leg of my pants.
    Custom made spool with 6ft of gorilla tape and 6ft of duct tape
    strong magnet (45lbs)
    hand sanitizer
    belt hand woven from ~70ft of paracord, quick release style. (this may soon get replaced becasue while it is quite strong, it is not very rigid and the thickness makes it hard to use with certain sheaths.

i also have a maxpedition single sheath i keep in my car with my Leatherman Surge, small adjustable wrench, 7" pry bar and the file and extra saw blades for the surge. This doesn't get worn everywhere, just when i'm expecting to need it.

as you can see, there are not many things i could encounter in my daily life that this setup would not be able to handle....when you are accustomed to this, it is very difficult going back to minimal carry.

twin63 likes this.
  15. ArkansasFan30

How do you put all this on your body?

16. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Cargo pants

My tape spool w/ magnet, paracord, water bottle holdet and both flashlights hang on my belt.

Front left pocket: cell phone

Front right pocket: Skeletool, Vic. Huntsman, loose change

Rear right pocket: wallet

Rear left pocket: small notebook, leather man bit kit in custom sheath, Kershaw clash

Left leg pocket: gravity hook xs with paracord, measuring tape, SD card reader, pill fob, key ring, hand sanitizer, handkerchief, altoids tin kit

Right leg pocket: ring full of flash drives and WiFi dongle. Elastic organizer with: Sharpie mini marker and pen, screwdriver, lighter, micro usb cable with usb-c adapters, Gerber EAB, leatherman style cs, leatherman squirt es4, flush cutters.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  17. ArkansasFan30

It's like TheUrbanPrepper's entire EDC bag all in your pants. As an IT guy, what utilities on your flash drives get used a lot?

I set up some stuff from PortableApps.com that I find handy. Well, I work for the government now so can't use them at work anymore.

18. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I probably don't need to carry all of those flash drives. 4 of them are only used 3or4 times as month at one specific client for don't monthly software updates. One is 128gb usb 3 NTFS drive they is mostly empty for when I need to move data. The primary one I use has tons of stuff on it. It is a multi boot setup that has installation media for Windows 10, 8.1,7, vista and server 2008+2012. As well as Ubuntu, hirens boot CD, acronis true image, nt password reset disk and I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting. There are also ISOs for various versions of ms office, ms works, full offline installer for Windows live mail since you can't download it anymore, and I try to keep relatively current cleanup utilities on it such as Malwarebytes, adwcleaner, combofix for the windows 7 pcs, super antispyware. Belarc advisor.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  19. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Instead of stuffing everything in cargo pockets, why not invest in backpack/sling bag? You can still carry or wear it everywhere and you'll be able to wear comfy clothes like everyone else.

20. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

For me it's those 'feeling useless' situations that drive my edc. A good analogy I've frequently used when people ask the why I carry these items, is the spare tire. I see it pretty much the same as telling myself I could gain space, save weight, and heck maybe bump a smidgen of mileage if I ditch that spare, jack, & tools. Given that I've made it 3 years on those tires without issues, surely no reason to think something will happen in the next 3.

Which reminds me I forgot to check my spare tires pressure this morning.