1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC D-SLR?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Solscud007, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Solscud007

Solscud007 Empty Pockets

Anybody photophiles? I love my Nikon D40 but I dont like the options there are for camera bags. Right now im using a PVS-7 nightvision goggle pouch for my Nikon. the only problem is that it is a bit cumbersome. It is ALICE compatible and I have a conversion to make it MOLLE compatible. It works well with a tactical blast belt and doubles as a sort of holster, since the NVG pouch is somewhat rigid with its thick padded walls.

2. Just Matt

Just Matt Empty Pockets

I use my MaxPed Colossus as my camera/EDC/CCW bag. When I go out for a ride on my bicycle I have a full size SIG pistol, towel, DSLR sized camera (Pan LINUX 18X), First Aid kit, phone, MP3 player, Surefire light, duct tape, 2 knive etc........ The main compartment holds my towel and camera, its padded so it protects the camera well and is plenty big enough for a full size D/SLR and all the goodies.

3. eldahjack

eldahjack Empty Pockets

i used to carry a dslr (d-50 with several lenses and a flash and other goodies). the bag i used was a nikon brand with the logos removed. it looked somewhat like a briefcase and nobody was really the wiser. it was a pain though to take off, and take out the camera. during specific photo times, i would hand carry the camera and use the bag to carry my extras.

crumpler makes good bags. i've handled them before. as does tamrac. i own a few of those but they dont see much light. i once asked a camelbak rep why they dont make a camera bag with a large compartment up top and padded spaces in the bottom like some other companies, and of course it'd have the water. he said, understandably, that camelbak hasnt really seen much of a demand for such a bag.

4. HammerHead

HammerHead Loaded Pockets

I use a Maxpedition Devil Dog for glass.

Most weeks it's packed for stargazing with my Celestron 12x60s in it. Plenty of room inside for my Audubon guide, a Leatherman Kick, one white LED and one red LED modified Mini Mag, a number of pens and markers, square hard back Moleskine and a small first aid kit. I use the webbed pockets on either side for a Nalgene and insect repellent wipes.

When I go to Comic Con I swap the binos for my camcorder and Nikon point and shoot, ditch the repellent for another Nalgone and stuff some granola bars in for lunch.

I've found it pretty versatile and user friendly in both roles, but don't particularly care for the shoulder strap. I recently bought a Skooba Design shock strap for my binoculars and am seriously tempted to get one for the Devil Dog.

5. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

for EVERY day carry a slr might be a bit much, at least for me. Takes much better pics, but for the trouble I like a nice quality, pocket size camera, my sony dsc fits in my back pocket nicely and takes decent pics.

6. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye Loaded Pockets

I have an Eagle Creek belt pack camera bag that just fits my Canon Rebel XTi and an extra lens.

(Not really EDC unless I'm doing the tourist thing).

7. luminous

luminous Loaded Pockets

You should read this thread over at the dpreview.com forum. The original poster specifically asked for cases to fit his D40 and got several dozen replies with many helpful suggestions.

8. marvyn

marvyn Empty Pockets

I carry my Nikon D70 with 18-200 lens in a Maxped Jumbo. The camera with the lens fitted goes in the main compartment nicely. I have made a padded bottom for the bag from a sock that came in one of those in-flight airline kits, a piece of old foam sleeping mat and a piece of high density foam from the back protector in an old rucksack. I also pack fairly soft stuff such as FAK and wipes in the side pocket to give a little bit more protection.

Not as much drop protection as a proper camera bag but far better for carrying all the other essentials. Been using it for a few years now with no problems.

9. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

i dont EDC my SLR, the kit is a little big and heavy
    when i do carry it its in either a maxpedition 7million dollar home, or a Lowepro computrekker plusAW
    when im working at an event, i have just started carrying my gear in belt pouches on an old security belt that i had laying around

10. MikeDub

MikeDub Loaded Pockets

Old thread, I know, but maybe somebody's still looking.

For what it's worth, the days I carry my Olympus E520, I swap out of TAD FAST pack for my Tamrac Aero Speed 75 camera bag (found here at B&H among other places, I'm sure). Simple looking black bag with a pocket on the side for my Nalgene. Separates the camera gear compartment from the empty top half I use for my other EDC items. Fits my camera body with lens attached, along with the other kit lens, filters, charger, flash and diffuser quite well. Add to that a zipper on the side for removing the camera without having to stop and take off the bag, and I have what I think is the best for my needs.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

-Nadz

11. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I work with a bunch of photographers
    While at work they edc dslrs
    Basically they have one on each shoulder - one with a long lens (70-200) and one with a short lens (16-35) - everything else (flashes, other lenses, tripods etc live in a roller bag in the boot of the car - and may get dragged into a job if they think they will need them

12. jpolaski

jpolaski Banned

My kit is far too big to EDC with me, so that camera that comes with me most often is my Canon G9, or an F3 with 50 1.4. Great images, and decently sizedl. When I do take my kit out to shoot, it sits in a beat up looking Domke F2, still the best camera bag IMHO, and I've used A LOT.

13. TrailDemon

TrailDemon Loaded Pockets

this has always been a major pain for me. i have several bags, tamrac, lowepro, to name a few.
    i used to carry 2 nikon F4s bodies, flash, and several lenses.... can you say HEAVY!?
    right now i carry a D700, and usually take 2 lenses with me when i wander about.

i currently use a lowepro S&F 70AW topload zoom chest harness, with a similiar long lens case attached on one side, and a bottle carrier on the other. the chest harness works pretty good when im wearing a backpack, and its quick to access. I also have the S&F Deluxe belt, and a few S&F pouches for accessories, but at the moment i don't use it. since ive changed to digital, i have found i can get away with a smaller bag(no film to carry), and less weight.

still undecided on a case for long term travel.
    and i rarely carry a tripod anymore. when i feel the need, i usually carry a light weight monopod.

14. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

well i haven't thought of this yet, since im thinking of picking up a rebel xs

15. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

I am purchasing a D300 a 2.8 lens as soon as I can save the cash which is probably overkill but hey I like gadgets.

16. AsapA3

AsapA3 Loaded Pockets

17. Vulcan

Vulcan Loaded Pockets

I bought a Canon G10 for my portable, go anywhere camera. 14.7 Megapixel, small size, quick first shot.....I really like it. I know its not an SLR but don't let that limit you from at least looking at this class of camera.