1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Cost Estimate

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by rc4f, Apr 22, 2011.

1. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

With what I actually use and carry it in; about 350.00 to 400.00
    Stormtracker Unikit, Surefire, Leatherman, 1st aid, batteries, writing stuff, a SpecOps supersheath for leatherman, and a few odds and ends. Simple and effective for me.

2. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

I'd like to think of EDCing as an investment since a lot of us already put a lot of time into researching items that we want to add to our EDC. Money is not as important as the quality and functionality of the item that we are buying. Then comes buying duplicates or triplicates and customization :lolhammer::brickwall::paypal:

3. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Well, I'm sure I spent well over a thousand, but the funny/sad thing is that after playing around with my EDC for a number of years and refining it to those items that I use the most that seem to have the best size to function ratio, I carry my SAK, pen, and light as my core EDC. These three items cost about $100, and I honestly think that anyone could put together a no-frills but good EDC kit in this price range.

4. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

I try not to think about it. Since I found this forum I've bought 4 different packs, several pouches, and knives. Not to mention all the stuff that I bought to go into said packs. However I'm still looking for that next item I can't live without. :brickwall:

5. Myriad7777

Myriad7777 Loaded Pockets

It would take me a while to total up the price paid for all the watches, bags, flashlights, knives (bold indicates items I have "issues" collecting hehe) but I'd say a few grand. I don't worry about the cost because its my hobby and there are so many other more expensive pursuits (motorcycles, cars, the need for exotic vacations,etc). Also, I'm to the point of "one out, one in"----I won't buy a new knife or pack until I sell off one that hasn't been in rotation for a while. Otherwise I'd have an EDC museum in my den!

As many have said, for a streamlined basic EDC I can put something together for $150 or less and be happy with the performance of the items. Spending more just means I appreciate the tech/advances or just plain collect those types of items.

6. shokthx

shokthx Loaded Pockets

Having what you need when you need it: Priceless

7. kwak

kwak Loaded Pockets

$5 Bum Bag (fanny pack/hip bag)
    $50 leatherman skeletool cx
    $40 Fenix LD01
    $3 Plasters and very basic first aid
    $5 for my wallet
    $600 for the phone (but it's works)
    $12 phone case/holster (as above)

Around $105 out of pocket and that's about my lot.

If i'm out walking/MTBing then obviously i'll swap out a few things, but that's pretty much all i've needed to carry and all i ever envisage needing :thumbsup:

8. doug_the_donut

doug_the_donut Loaded Pockets

Several hundred dollars since the beginning of this year. Don't want to think about it any more.

9. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I took two sets of 4 similiar items and did a cost estimate based on tools I would have carried when I first signed on to this forum till now.

Flashlight
    Knife
    Watch
    Multi-tool

I dug up some items I still use from when I first joined in this forum in 2006. This kit is less than $60.00
    Solarforce LED $20
    Casio Forester $15
    CRKT M-16 bought 2nd hand for $10
    LM Micra $13 at Bi-Mart during Xmas season
    Approx $58.00
    [​IMG]

Today
    Surefire E1B $140 based on a quick average retail price online
    Accutron watch $400
    Strider SnG $425 (actual cost to me)
    SOG Powerlock (could be any full size multi-tool) $50 on average
    Approx $1015.00
    [​IMG]

Does not include a bag, FAK, phone or other items we all have as basic everday tools. Will one set outperform another in our day to day routines? Probably not and at least not in mine but it is always reassuring that I have tools available to meet my daily needs. It was actually a fun exercise to see what I can still put together on a budget.

10. ltbarber

ltbarber Loaded Pockets

I don't want this to sound as hard as it does,but what is your life worth to you? Because EDC is,and can,and will be a lifesaver! Having said that,and apologizing for sounding too harsh,I will explain. My EDC is centered on two areas. Comfort items(lip balm,FAK,chemical handwarmers,etc.),and life saving(my CCW,my knives,my flashlights,etc). My EDC Bible fits in both catagories. I do not have a lot of extra cash. Therefore,my EDC is a mixed bag. All of my FAK items are from the dollar store. My toiletries kit is a belt pocket organizer from home depot that I hacked to meet my needs. My CCW,and tactical light are top shelf. Buy quality,and cry once! I have a layered approach to most EDC items. Lights for instance. I have a cheap LED flashlight I paid only $4 for at a hardware store. That does yoeman duty for everyday lighting chores. If I am in a serious situation,then I am using my Surefire tactical light,with it's expensive lithium cell batteries. I EDC a daypack,because I am mounted in a vehicle,in rural areas. That pack is the best I could afford at the time. MY organizer pouches came from the hardware store. Three heavy canvas pouches of different sizes for $7! They were made to hold tools. I carry EDC items instead. I carry several different knives,also. Depending on the job,I may use a bargain-basement one,or a top shelf model. Hope this approach helps you in this fantastic,intriguing,and very necessary hobby.

11. kwak

kwak Loaded Pockets

The only thing i can see is a life saver in most peoples urban EDC is a mobile phone.

A basic FAK is of limited use in a severe trauma.
    It's even less use if the owner doesn't know how to use it or administer the correct first aid.

In 42 years on this planet living an extremely varied and colourful life the only time i've considered a flash light a life saver was when pot holing.
    But then anyone that goes pot holing without a good flash light with a serious amount of fail saves and backups is pretty stupid.
    It's also not EDC.

There have been times having a light would have helped (like putting the alternator back on my mates car last week), but we still struggled through without one.

Likewise i've been in some pretty sticky situations, both civilian and other.
    In my civilian life though i have never needed a knife nor a firearm to get me out alive, even when i have been "advised" to CCW i've refused, as i'm very confident i can use my experience and street smarts to avoid most situations.
    If it does (and has happened) i've again used my common sense and street smarts to get out every situation so far alive.
    If it did come down to the crunch i'm confident that i can make use of materials around me to defend myself in 99% of situations.

So i agree that EDC can and does make life a :censored: site easier some times, but other than the guys the lug around large EDC bag with a very well stocked FAK i think it's a bit of a push to call it a life saver (in civilian and urban environments).