1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Cost Estimate

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by rc4f, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Haha no I don't want to think about it. I know I added up the value of what I carry and it is easily $2500...without my bag. Except for my watch and knife that all came before joining here.

2. mihatek

mihatek Empty Pockets

Taking everything in account, id say around 400-500$ so far and rising . More than Id want, no doubt. :p
    But its safe to say that one could achieve the same funcionality with a 50-100$ budget.

3. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I don't even want to think of how much I have spent on gear especially the stuff that I don't carry with me. I have had more flashlights over the years most were cheapies but now most are alot more expensive since joining this forum. What I carry is problably about $300 worth as it is mainly pocket carry.

4. dbert

dbert Loaded Pockets

I've only been at this a week and I'm at about $150. At that rate...yikes.

5. rc4f

rc4f Empty Pockets

Thanks for the advice! Still much to learn. I'm going to start working on my "daily commute pack". I try to run or bike to work so I'll have another level of items to support that evolution.

6. rc4f

rc4f Empty Pockets

Same here!

7. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

rc4f you can take this to any point or any level you wish,, my edc has evolved thru the years,,,
    first is the basics of want you need,, ex. wallet and keys,, cell phone, knife, flashlight etc. then how you wish to carry. pocket, pouch or bag etc etc. you may need doubles of some items,, lower power or a small light, and a more powerful bigger light..
    as you go you will realize your needs.. doing it slow and piecing it together till your bases are covered is key..
    i have made levels for my edc setup.. and they blend together.. i can basic pocket carry to maxed out backpack.. and every where inbetween. but i can tell you i only carry what i need for my situation.. i generally do pocket and a pouch on my belt..
    and most of the time i have a bag with other things i may need and its always close by...

8. H2O

H2O Loaded Pockets

If you EDC a wife and she's budget minded that will help keep the costs down.If not, time to get a second job. The members on this forum will gladly point you in the right direction on where to spend your money.I still can't believe I've spent eighty dollars on a flashlight that gets used daily and am still looking for one that will work a little better for my daily use and after being on this forum cost on my EDC is not an issue and I'm not the type to spend without making an informed decision. Good luck with this,you can spend a lot or a little what ever makes you happy.

9. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

People flip out when I tell them I spent $200 on a flashlight or $400 on a knife. I find their reactions amusing =D

10. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

Since I started all this EDC organizing seven months ago, I've spent somewhere between $100-$150. I'm happy with my current set up and find it very useful in my suburban environment. I stayed with stainless steel items, a small folder, just a LM Micra as my multi-tool and a $5 nano and $20 stylus pro for flashlights. It helped to read the reviews first, think about what I really needed as apposed to wanted and then buy. Are there items that I might still want? Sure. :) But I only pull the trigger on a purchase if it is something that I know I will use and doesn't duplicate something that I have and like. This way it has been kept affordable. I don't mind looking at all the fancy and pricey stuff others are carrying and more power to them if they want to collect and EDC such things, but you don't have to use expensive items to have a decent and useful EDC.

11. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Some of my EDC gear I have had and used for better than 20 years. My Buck 110 and my Fuller Brush scissors come to mind as examples. I have carried a Mini-Mag lite for about the same amount of time, although I have had to replace it a few times.
    I probably could have gone the rest of my life buying Mag lites when a replacement is warranted. Now not so much, since joining here I have felt the urge to upgrade to nicer, better quality gear.

12. inmypocket

inmypocket Empty Pockets

Out of 700+ knives which most of them are old collectables I Edc through oh 100 of them switching according to what I am doing. Guessing at an average cost I'd say of 70 bucks... wait I don't want to think about this. A very large amount of money for me...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

+1

I try not to think about it.

14. zipthehuh

zipthehuh Loaded Pockets

apparently not enough since I keep finding myself changing/adding things

15. full pockets

full pockets Empty Pockets

I don't count how many drinks I have a night,might have to consider AA,don't ever want to calculate what I spend on EDC,might have to be committed.

16. FelixTheCat

FelixTheCat Loaded Pockets

My on the person carry items, not including a handgun would be in the $500.00 - $750.00 range.
    My EDC bag I don't want to think about it.
    I look at the cost like an investment and not an expense.
    Most of the items will out last me.
    Buy the best quality you can afford. It's really less money in the long run.

17. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

Since consciously creating an EDC setup a little less than a year ago, it's been a little over $1,000. Counting electronics like phone and Ipod, a little bit more.

18. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

If I really added it up I would surely stop buying any more stuff for a long time.

But that's no fun.

Actually, I find I spend more than I need to because often I can't tell if something
    will "work" for me until I actually try it out.

19. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

"They're locking them up today
    They're throwing away the key
    I wonder when they're coming for
    You and me?"

-- Arthur Hill, the Love group (circa 1967)

On the other hand, a high quality EDC item will retain its value and utility much longer than the plummeting U.S. Dollar.

20. AlphaZeta

AlphaZeta Empty Pockets

I have a spreadsheet on all my edc items... however, the bottom line is not a figure I look at anymore. Besides, it'll take a way to get all the way down to the bottom of the list