1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Cost Estimate

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by rc4f, Apr 22, 2011.

1. rc4f

rc4f Empty Pockets

What a great wealth of resource and activity on this forum. I'm new to the process of establishing an E.D.C and B.o.B.. In the past i just took what I thought I needed. I was amazed to see how much of the stuff was just laying around my house (unorganized) when I first started. However, now I've got the bug and I'm really beginning to customize and expand.

My question is how much $$ have you spent on perfecting you EDC? I'm up to $150.00 (beyond what I owned) , but I did get a new pack. Is this going to be an expensive hobby?

2. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

Since I joined this forum? I don't even want to go there.

3. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

not even gonna try to calculate, but im sure at least a couple thousand...

4. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Um... I have a lot of knives. Flashlights, bags, bottles, jackets... and I don't want to think about keychain and other small accessories. Just the big items? Hm... Ballpark? Two grand.

5. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

Costs add up quickly around here, especially if you are of a mindset and are in a location that allows carrying a concealed firearm. Aside from that, it really depends on how much you want to spend on quality. A blade that cuts and a light that shines don't necessarily have to cost a fortune and you are just as capable in MOST situations as the guy that spends a fortune on custom or high-end gear. Will your cheaper stuff last a lifetime of hard use? No. Can you bet your life on it working correctly every single time? Maybe not. But most of us aren't setting out on an expedition to the remote corners of the world any time soon either. Mostly we spend a fortune on equipment because we like having cool stuff and we joined this forum because we like sharing this with others that have the same interests. It's a great place to be!

6. jeepdude_1

jeepdude_1 Loaded Pockets

One of my favorite EDC items are Maxped bags....But lately i find myself buying a lot of diff bags, pack and sheaths....If my wife new how much i spent...:laugh:...Now when it come to knives....OMG .....I have thousands invested.....

7. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's just the stuff that I kept!

8. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

"One clear lesson of September 11 is that individual civilians need to take responsibility for maximizing the probability that they will survive, should disaster strike. Clearly, many building occupants in the World Trade Center did not take preparedness seriously. Individuals should know the exact location of every stairwell in their workplace. In addition, they should have access at all times to flashlights, which were deemed invaluable by some civilians who managed to evacuate the WTC on September 11."
    - page 318 of the 9/11 Commission Report Final Version

You don't need to be in a remote corner of the world for your life to depend on your gear. Many people called the Twin Towers their workplace every day. Spending the scratch for dependability just makes sense for me. But you're right, a big part of why I do it is because I think the gear is cool! =D

9. 1ofmany

1ofmany Loaded Pockets

As a result of (or with information from) this board, I've bought:

A Maxped Jumbo Versipack
    A Big Skinny Wallet
    A Maxped Spartan Wallet
    A Maxped Urban Wallet
    A LM Wave Multi-Tool

That's about it - not that much. But I've learned about so many different products!

10. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

More than I want to come to terms with.

11. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

At least $1,000 - that's just pocket and belt carry too.

12. rc4f

rc4f Empty Pockets

I agree with making sure your can sustain yourself. Look at the tsunami in Japan. Imagine if that happend here. The riots and looting would have been nuts. After seeing New Orleans (Katrina) I started CCW and making sure I could fend for my faimly since I live where a hurricane could hit. All my neighbors on the street actually have a plan to defend the neighborhood if that were to ever happen. Don't come looking to steal gas or generators here!

The EDC for me is just stuff I always have with. For work, play or just being out. That's why I thought it an intresting question. I'm gonna try and capture the cost of mine. So minus firearms what would you say is the cost? Is that a better way of asking?

13. rc4f

rc4f Empty Pockets

Wow! Any pics of your gear?

14. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

CLICKY

15. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

im sure my pocket carry is close to $1000 too. i mean just the iPhone4 alone is 3-$400.

16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Come to think of it.... someone interested in a fine Swiss timepiece (I'm not) can easily get to 5 figure EDC numbers....

17. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Loaded Pockets

$2200 on me right now.....

Mind you, 1k of that is a 1911....

18. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

This

Since joining here 50+ Atwoods, 30+ flashlights, 20+ knives, 10+ MT, and a host of other gadgets. Totalling out my gear is a number I don't want to know.

19. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you're talking about a SAK, flashlight, wallet , keys , Timex/Casio then sure, one can get by with say $50 bucks or maybe a little more and realistically on a daily basis that's probably more than enough. The EDC/hobby is a whole other story and it's a relative to what you want to spend or think you need. Some days for example, I might carry a sub $20 Enlan and the next day a MT Auto or Strider folder. Same pocket dump but totally different out of pocket expense. That $20 bucks changed to several hundred by switching out knives.

You have spent less than 200 bucks and that's really more than enough to get started with good basic equipment but if it turns into a hobby or outside interest, it's going to cost a lot more.

20. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Loaded Pockets

this man knows what he is talking about....

I am carrying only one or 2 new things since joining this forum, basically the same stuff for years....

the quality has gone way up though...