1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC COMMS -- What Radio do you carry (HT/Mobile)

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by OpusX, Feb 10, 2012.

1. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Which ones ? My Rino units ?

They actually arent, i have the Aussie spec 433mhz UHF Cb ones - we dont have FRS/GMRS here in Australia.
    But i believe you are correct, in the US they are FRS/GMRS units, and you will need the licence for GMRS freqs

Last edited by echo63, Dec 26, 2013
  2. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

In the states, we don't have CB in the UHF/VHF frequencies. (433MHz is in the FRS/GMRS band here)

3. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

The Aussie bands are a bit different, here we have an 80 channel (used to be 40) citizens band in the 433 mhz range - no licences required, channels 1-8 (and 21-28 for output) are repeater frequencies, ch5/25 are emergency channel, 11 is a calling channel, 40 road channel. And there is 2 or 3 "data only" channels, intended for short range packet data and not for voice
    Most 4wds have a unit fitted, they are great for keeping a convoy together, or for coordinating a recovery (either by winch or snatch strap

There is also the old 27mhz CB band, which i believe is the same as the US CB band (freqs may be slightly different)

4. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

1+ i have use Kenwoods on duty (also motorola but never dropped one). I dont get how those kenwoods just keep on working, i have dropped my kenwood at my old job so many times from different heights it should be shatterd in thousand pieces.. But yet, that is not the case. Only thing is the clips, they dont last for ever - but they can be replaced.. Btw the kenwood clips works really well with the knife pocket in the 5.11 taclite pros (irrelevant bonus info xD)

T.H.Cone likes this.
  5. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Used to use old motorolas, and Tait Orcas in a previous job - the Orcas were junk, they worked reasonably well, but never as good as the old Motorola they were supposed to replace.

The motorolas got dropped all the time, typically jumping out of pockets, off belts, and out of pouches while running, in fact if there was ever an issue with them not working quite right, it was normal to tighten the aerial, clean the battery contacts, then drop it onto its bottom from 12inches, onto a hard surface.
    Never had any real issues with them.

thekapow likes this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am mainly a Yaesu guy but also have a few Kenwood,Icom amd Alinco. I got a Beofeng the most recently and really can not stand or understand it mostly.

I have been hiking through Colorado in the mountains using a VX7 enough that it heated up so I dunked it in a mountain stream to cool off! Now that was a good time!

7. yrrebst

yrrebst Loaded Pockets

I have a Baofeng UV-5R in the car with me just in case. I don't carry one with me at all times, though.

-Tom (K2TU)

8. yrrebst

yrrebst Loaded Pockets

Also, sorry to be that guy, but it's ham, not HAM.

:)

9. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

Just pulled the trigger for the Ham Radio License Manual with CD (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual) on Amazon. Finally taking steps to getting that license. Hopefully I can get a better sense of what I need after getting that license.

10. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Last edited by nolaradio, Jan 26, 2017
    #230 nolaradio, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  11. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Loaded Pockets

Hello All,
    I just got my ticket in April 2013. I got the baofeng UV5R radio. I was carrying it around in my backpack I use to go to work. The backpack was a cheap one I got from my school as a fund raiser a long time ago. It only has one large pocket to put books and a small one for pens and small items.

I just got the accessories like the battery eliminator, speaker mike and a Nagoya 771 antenna. Now trying to carry this in the pack is not really that great. I was looking to get the Maxpedition Tactile Pocket and put the Maxpedition triad admin pouch on it for all the accessories and extra antenna connectors. This would make it easier to move the radio and accessories to different bags.

12. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Loaded Pockets

Removed for duplicate post.

13. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

Your list sounds very familiar.

I keep one UV-5R with original rubber duck, speaker mike, headset mike, Diamond RH-771 and battery eliminator in the car. I also have an identical set indoors which sometimes gets taken out on walks etc. In addition to this, in the car I have a SMA-F to SO-239 adaptor and roof magmount with Sharman SG-7500 antenna for better range.

As well as the UV-5R I also have a Yaesu FT-2900 in the car. Though this is a 75W radio in the UK I an only licensed to use 10W. If there were a serious emergency though I am sure there would be some leeway given, if 75W were needed.

One problem I have is the UV-5R is a bit unwieldy with the 771 fitted. In the car I leave the rubber duck attached so it still fits in the glove box and the 771 in a door pocket. However the 771 is worth the added pain of carrying it as some tests I carried out show.

Thanks to being one of the rare suffers of electro-sensitivity (basically wifi give me a headache), I have what is termed an 'Electro-Smog detector' which is a signal strength meter that responds to 50MHz-8GHz and allows me to find sources of RF signals. The readings quoted should be taken only as relative values and not absolute values as this device has not been calibrated.

Here it is showing background RF.

[​IMG]

The label on the back.

[​IMG]

The tests were carried out with all measurements taken at 1m from the antenna.

All readings were taken several times, and all antennas refitted and retested to check the consistency of results.

One thing I did notice about the Baofengs is that the output was not all that consistent, especially when using the battery eliminator. The results reported here are averages with higher and lower readings observed. In fact I was concerned the meter was not going to be any good for this set of experiments until I tried some tests with the Yaesu FT-2900 which proved very consistent and gave entirely repeatable results.

The UV-5R is dual band, but due to the inconsistency of results and multiple attempts to get repeatable output values, I ended up mainly concentrating on the 2m band.

What is clear here is the boost in performance the RH-771 antenna provides over the standard rubber duck. With these results being relatively consistent between a UV-5R+ and UV-5RE+ when running off their li-ion batteries.

The battery eliminator gave a huge jump in output, but seemed pretty inconsistent.

[​IMG]

kd7dvd likes this.
  14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Interesting,maybe?

One thing that really bugs me about the Beofeng is the reversed antenna connector.I am fairly certain that the performance of these radios is limited or at least affected by the antenna connection and I will suggest that this might be part of the issue you are seeing?

I have no doubt that you have a methodical routine when checking these things out based on your obvious breadth of experience as a reviewer but maybe consider that connection as one possible source of the inconsistency?

Making this even worse of course is the need to use an additional adapter to make almost any antenna improvements.

I like and use a Comet SMA-24 and Diamond SRH77 on various HTs and they also make one now that is flexible but will stay in any position you like. You can bend it like a pretzel and it will stay that way. this comes in very handy for storing in small or oddly shaped spots and it seems to perform just like the classic Comet or Diamond too.

Another is the entire general construction and build quality but you do pretty much get what you pay for too.

15. noid1037

noid1037 Empty Pockets

Look around on the internet for some hams that are local or local clubs, these resources are out there and will help you purchase a first radio, antenna and guide you thru the great jounrey... if you want you can reach out to me for advice. I have been doing it for 20 plus years and have fun with lotsa gear. Good luck and have fun.

16. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Loaded Pockets

I am looking to get my general license in April. I may then join a local club to learn to be able to build antennas.

Looking to get ideas on some great stuff to be able to carry the HT and accessories in a nice EDC bag.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

speedmaster likes this.
  17. samotnik

samotnik Loaded Pockets

I have Yaesu VX-6r and Alan 42 (CB band) in my car.

18. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

That is a hot radio. Have to chip the ice off the stream before you could get to the water? No shortage of snow if you go up high enough on the Rockies north-facing slopes, even in July.
    Always enjoyed line of sight, both views and comms, when 50+ miles is the norm up there.

Have an old Alinco 460 dual bander that still looks pretty new - would like to get something smaller and lighter but why buy new if what one has still works.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Roger that.
    I have an old Kenwood TH78 that is one of my favorites still.
    Full HT power and will cross band repeat to,I have used it for Emcomm several times as a repeater for days on a big external battery.

But I love the newer Yaesu too as they really are waterproof I have found for myself.

20. Stealth digger

Stealth digger Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I keep one radio in each of my three bags but the FT-60 on the left is by far the most reliable and is usually the one I will grab and go with .

speedmaster and Scott Mason like this.