1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC COMMS -- What Radio do you carry (HT/Mobile)

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by OpusX, Feb 10, 2012.

1. jeffmcc

jeffmcc Loaded Pockets

I want someone to help me decide what radio to get. I just need long distance;)

2. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I took the plunge and purchased a Baofeng UV-r5+ on amazon. Marked down to $30 (2013 version) during the Cyber Monday sale. So far got a few repeaters stored and have been listening locally. Also picked up the Gordon West Technician Class prep book. Will take the test in January at the local hamfest.

From what I can tell yes the Baofeng has an extra strep to program from the key pad but for the cost I think its worth it. I'm surprised with the reception, but obviously I cannot comment on transmission range.

bigfoot likes this.
  3. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Icom IC-7000

(OK, it's a vague answer...but it was a vague question :D)

Kripto likes this.
  4. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Enjoy your new radio and have a good time learning the ropes of amateur! Welcome to the hobby!

5. pilgrim

pilgrim Empty Pockets

Would it be for fixed/mobile/HT? Power supply is mains or battery? What is your antenna, or space for antenna?

I have FT-817 w/amp and couple HT's. Both power sources and various small antennas.

6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

If you're looking for distance, you would want a mobile (50W) with a decent antenna. (also mobile) -- I have the Kenwood TM-D710 in my car with a GPS on the faceplate for APRS.

kd7dvd likes this.
  7. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I've got a IC 706 MKIIG for HF, it really can't be beat. The thing is a workhorse

kd7dvd and bigfoot like this.
  8. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

If you have local repeaters 5-10w should be sufficient. That being said I have a friend about 17 miles away and we can simplex on 2m with 50w using J-poles. 220hz is a good freq. around here too, we talk 5-10 miles easy on simplex with mobile rigs at 20-30w. These examples are of course leaving the HF bands out of the conversation.

9. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

Tested my new vx-8 the reviews are correct just monitoring the sock battery dead in 6 hours. I would recommend just getting a extended battery and not even using this stock battery. Next test is the Bluetooth

10. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

Tested my new vx-8 the reviews are correct just monitoring the sock battery dead in 6 hours. I would recommend just getting a extended battery and not even using this stock battery. Next test is the Bluetooth

11. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

this seems like it would be a fun hobby to get in to

12. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

Expensive too!

13. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

It is a fun hobby. Just have a realistic approach to it before you spend a ton of money. Who are you going to talk to? Do you plan on using the comms for your family, (everyone will have to be licensed)? Do you want hand held units, mobile, base stations? Are you just thinking about :censored: scenarios? Have a clear idea of how you want to use the communications before you buy equipment, HAM radio is expensive and there are rules you have to follow, so just think it through before you drop a bunch of cash.

14. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

All this inspires me to get back to my plans on getting licensed. Good recommendations here but not really ready to drop the dough for a TH-F6a or even an FT-60r. Can anyone advise on the Baofeng UV-82? Amazon reviewers rave on this.

Can anyone point me where I can do a little more informative research on these models? That is short of bugging everyone around :D
    Also would appreciate a good starting site (or forum) I can go over. I think I'd like to do a little hands-on training/research.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

eham.net in the reviews section.
    All by Hams for Hams.

bzimmerly likes this.
  16. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

Thanks bud. Will check this out

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bzimmerly likes this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have fun but also it is worth mentioning that the reviews seem to be tempered by the fact that many Hams are the cheapest individuals I have ever known and they are skewed in my opinion towards the cheapest radios very often!

I have tried and have a few of the cheap radios and to answer your question directly,NO they are not worth it to me except as a dipping your toes in the water starter radio.

Opinions on that vary greatly though as you will see.
    I just prefer quality from the start and have no regrets buying name brand radios though they will cost more.

Ed

bzimmerly likes this.
  18. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Yes, hams are typically cheap.. It's part of the culture. We tend to build instead of buy, and tend to really appreciate a good deal, like the recent influx of Chinese radios.

That being said, there are lots of hams who do the opposite and get commercial radios. For example, I have Motorola and Kenwood professional 900 MHz radios. They tend to be build to take a beating.

19. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I dont have any Ham radios, but i do carry an Icom IC-R5 scanner when im at work, its programmed with a bunch of frequencys i listen to frequently (fire brigade, education security, airband, rally, and a few others)
    I also keep a 3w uhf CB handheld in the car, comes in handy sometimes.
    For keeping in contact with the wife at events we both have 5w UHF CB radios - garmin Rino650 - which have the added advantage of GPS and tracking
    Once every 30 seconds, when you release the ptt, it will send its location - which is great when my wife is sending pics for me, she can see exactly where i am, without a long back and forth explaining, meaning i can concentrate on my job.

20. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Those are actually FRS/GMRS radios. :) (Also, you need to get a license for them to transmit legally) *for the GMRS frequencies..*