1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC coffee mug, looking for suggestions.

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by rushane, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Chingyul

Chingyul Loaded Pockets

I do find that the remaining volume is quite important though. Cools down much quicker when you have less volume inside.

I think the briefcase bottle is pretty good.
    http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/detailed/thermosnissan/bottles

Looks like it outperforms the backpack bottle.
    It just looks like it doesn't have an easy way to drink on the move.

2. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but it has some good suggestions already. I've got 2 OXO travel mugs that need to be upgraded and wondering if there are any new ideas out there before I make a purchase.
    The OXO's didn't hold up well, and the lid mechanism is about impossible to clean and they do a lousy job of keeping beverages warm, much less hot.I'm leaning towards a Nissan product now unless there is something better.

Thanks
    Chris

3. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Three suggestions:

1). Nissan,
    2). Nissan, or
    3). Nissan

I've never found one better. Well worth the price and I am a cheap (& broke) old fart. Finding the liquid in the bottle is still hot (not just warm, but hot) a few hours after you forgot about it is a beautiful thing. The only trick to using mine is that I pre-fill it with hot water before I fill it with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. The flip top lid seals great and has a latch to keep it closed. I can drink from it by just pushing a tab and letting the lid pop open. It's compact and easy to clean, too.

Gnarly likes this.
  4. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

My vote is for Nissan. I've had 16 oz thermos for years. The outside is dented, but it still keeps everything hot. I'm sure I could destroy it, but it's more work than I want to do :lolhammer:

Get something that's tough. I lost one plastic thermos after a few months when someone (not me) dropped. I bought a stainless steel Thermos bottle that night. It's still good after 30 years.

I've used Nissan Thermos cups, they take a licking, keeps on letting me sip.

Gnarly likes this.
  5. Gothic_Coop

Gothic_Coop Loaded Pockets

I had a Nissan cup for years now I hang a Starbucks cup off my bag. love it to death.

Gnarly likes this.
  6. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I have one of these Nissan mugs and one of these Thermos tumblers with a 360-degree lid. I used both of them when I drove for a living and one or the other is always in my car now. The tumbler didn't spill a drop the night I was at work and got T-boned by some idiot running a red light (I wasn't injured, but only because the idiot hit the passenger side of my vehicle). Both the mug and the tumbler keep drinks hot for hours and even after years of hard use the lids don't leak when closed. They don't spill much if they are accidentally tipped over, either.

7. TAMUJeep

TAMUJeep Loaded Pockets

8. jethro42

jethro42 Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Nissan Backpack Bottle. I bought one, my wife saw it, and had to have one. Took it to my parents' house one weekend, and the next thing I knew they both had one as well. Keeps hot liquid hot all day long. See the post above about leaving it out in the cold vehicle. That's no stretch, it really works that well. WILL NOT SPILL. Period. Even has a lock on it to keep the button from being accidentally depressed. I'd have no qualms about filling this thing with hot coffee and dropping it right into my briefcase on it's side. (It usually rides in the bottle pocket of my Tom Bihn ID messenger bag. Perfect fit.) Anyway, I really can't say enough good about this thing, it rocks.

Oh, and for those of you who already have one - I've found the best, easiest way to clean these things is to just drop a couple of denture tablets in it and fill it with warm water and let it sit overnight. Dump and rinse the next morning, and it looks like it came from the factory inside. No scrubbing required.

9. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

10. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

Update:
    At Target last week I found one of these in the clearance section of the sporting goods dept. It was marked down to $5. A great bargain to say the least. I bought on a Friday and didn't try it out until Monday. I loved it, works better than expected. Completely spill proof, easy to clean and keeps beverages HOT. I went back on Monday to look for another and they had all been sold out. :brickwall: The only down side is it doesn't fit well in the car cup holder. Now I need to buck up and get another at retail pricing. :(

Chris

11. Rescue_Ops

Rescue_Ops Loaded Pockets

gstojinovic likes this.
  12. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

After going through many different coffee mugs over the years--including some I mentioned above many years ago, I would agree that an insulated Klean Kanteen with the Cafe top is the best overall coffee mug out there.

Not only does the KK mug keep coffee warmer than any other mug I've ever owned--and I've owned many, but the Cafe top is also the easiest to clean and best option out there. While not spillproof, it allows for the best flow of coffee and the ease of cleaning means no coffee "gunk" accumulates which means better tasting coffee.

13. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

gstojinovic likes this.
  14. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Loaded Pockets

Second the MEC steel double wall mug (i have 3), and the Contigo. The wife has 2, me 1, and at the hospital (my poor mother), + half the Nurses use Contigo. Real world users...
    Love to try that Nissan, though

15. Kraycat

Kraycat Loaded Pockets

16. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

I have one Contigo also... Picked up "two pack" on Amazon and gave one to friend... It rolls in my car, rides in my backpack, just awesome insulated, spill proof, zero leek mug!! Sleek looking!!!

I'd go for Contigo anytime!!

17. fmf1854

fmf1854 Loaded Pockets

18. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I used to go with contigo and oxo being on the road all day...

I will never use them again! I took apart the lids in an attempt to see if they were able to be, for cleaning.. They had gone thru hand wash then dishwasher and in all 6 I found green :censored: and residue (mind you when I finish the mug I always rinse it before going into my bag)

So every one went in the trash, I bought a klean kanteen and never looked back.. :censored: those things, Imo they are all crap.. Fancy but not functional

gstojinovic likes this.
  19. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

This is pretty much my experience as well. I used to swear by the Nissan double-wall SS mug, then I got an OXO double-wall SS mug and thought that was the best, and after that it was on to a Contigo double-wall SS mug. The OXO and Contigo have the issue of it being almost impossible to clean the residue from the cap and therefore, each sip you take results in coffee flowing over, around, and through old coffee/creamer/sugar/sweetener residue.

The Nissan doesn't have this problem because it has a pretty straight-through cap, but I found that the Klean Kanteen keeps coffee hot so much longer than the Nissan--or the OXO or Contigo for that matter.

I have found that all double-wall SS is not the same. I am not sure if it's the type of SS used or the process of forming the mug--or both, but the KK definitely is by far the best I've found in keeping hot beverages hot and cold beverages cold.

Unless you absolutely need a spill-proof but sipable cap (the KK has a spill-proof twist cap), I would recommend giving the KK a try.

20. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Nurse here too.

You guys get Milton (sterilising tablets)? Soak mine once a week for a couple of hours. Nil issues.