1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC coffee mug, looking for suggestions.

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by rushane, Oct 11, 2007.

1. rushane

rushane Loaded Pockets

I'm sick and tired of cheap coffee thermos/mugs. I need a spill proof, roughly 16oz, at least 2 or 3 hours of heat retention in a non-ugly body. Can't seem to find one. My biggest issue is with the leaking. The mugs tend to get knocked over on the lifeboats, it'd be nice if I didn't have to keep a constant eye on it. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

thanks,

mike

2. cbdudley

cbdudley Loaded Pockets

I highly recommend the stainless steel mugs and bottles made by Nissan (not the car maker). The company is a division of Thermos, but the items carrying the Nissan brand name are far superior to the generic Thermos brand products. They are difficult to find in retail stores, but readily available on line. There is an eBay seller who sometimes has factory outlet items at good prices.

Gnarly and stax like this.
  3. lampundermyfeet

lampundermyfeet Empty Pockets

Target has a nice selection of all stainless coffee mugs. I have had one for 10 years and it has survived many falls. It has several dents but it keeps everything hot or cold depending on what you want.

4. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

These are my two favorites with the first one by OXO being slightly more favored because it gets annoying to depress a button every time you take a sip with the Contigo one, although it does assure it of being more splilproof because it seals itself after every sip:

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-1055291-LiquiSeal-Travel/dp/B0001YH1LG

http://www.amazon.com/Contigo-West-Loop-Mug-%252dSilver/dp/B000NVYHJ6

Bed, Bath and Beyond should have the OXO and possibly the Contigo, otherwise you can try Target for the Contigo--if you don't like ordering from Amazon.

Bucky

5. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

We had another thread about this. I'm intersted in these. Has anyone tried them?

6. rdb

rdb Empty Pockets

I had a nissan that I carried for 3 years and then left it somewhere :brickwall: Great mug, dropped several times. Not completely spill proof but still a good mug. Bought an OXO to replace it, horrible mug IMO. It is spill proof, but the spill proof mechanism is a button in the top of the lid than when depressed lowers a disk with a rubber seal. (Think of the plunger type drain plug in a bathroom sink) Coffee etc... gets trapped in the lid between the seal and the spout and there's no good way to clean it, best you can do is rinse it out, but despite my best efforts mine still got gunked up after a month or so and I decided not to experiment with the resulting growth.

7. rushane

rushane Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I'm googling a lot of these now, I'll let you all know what I end up with.

mike

8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

Mountain Equipment Coop has double wall stainless steel mugs for about 10 bucks...i own one, they are pretty bomber.

LINK

[mo]
    Link shortened by moderator parnass

:pt:
    [/mo]

9. Minotaur

Minotaur Loaded Pockets

Thermos Mug

Got what I think must be the earlier version of this. I find it a nightmare, because it keeps drinks to hot.

I now carry a flask and mug.

10. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Thermos Nissan brand -- don't confuse the regular Thermos with these gems. They are pricey but worth it. The only leak I ever had was when I did not wipe the top of the bottle before I put the cap on it -- it is now a habit and has not happened again. Never leaks and keeps liquids hot for hours. One of very few things in my life that would actually be worth more than what I paid for it even at list. Hot coffee or chocolate is a joy on a cold morning drive, but in this it will still be warm hours later. Easy to drink from, fits the cup holder (not as easy with others as you might think it would be), and the lid stays shut even without the spring catch (a nice feature btw).

Gnarly likes this.
  11. SarGeek

SarGeek Empty Pockets

I second the OXO travel mug. That thing is built tough and preforms really well. It keeps drinks hot for a while and the patented button opening only lets a drop or so of liquid out regardless of what you do to the bottle. I've used one on and off for about a year and it keeps going strong. It has been in classrooms, offices, ambulances, fire trucks, and ATVs without giving up on me yet. Great item for the price. Amazon has them for cheap.

12. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

i've been using the nissan backpack bottle and I love it. no leaks. keeps stuff hot or cold for the whole work day.

Gnarly likes this.
  13. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

;D ;D ;D i have one of those,the 52 oz coffee cup.... holds a whole coffee pot worht of coffee... :lolhammer: :lolhammer:

15. qballcanada

qballcanada Empty Pockets

:iagree: I vote for the Nissan backpack bottle.I've been carrying it for 3 years at least. This is the second one I've had, I broke the flip lid on the first.When I replaced it (MEC carries them), I sent the broken cup back for warranty, two weeks later I got a new one in the mail. It's a great cup, never leaks, doesn't dribble, keeps coffee hot for hours, and is small enough it jams into a jacket pocket. And it doesn't leak....did I mention that?

Gnarly likes this.
  16. jhitch

jhitch Empty Pockets

+1 on the OXO mug linked above.

It's stylish, fits in my itty bitty german cupholders, and won't spill no matter what (as long as you remember to pop it closed).

I've had it about a year and it is holding up nicely to everyday use.

17. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

The best one I've used has been a MiGo Senja - plain stainless mug. The Nissan cup I had tended to drip coffee from the little flip up closure piece which I found irritating, and various other mugs haven't stood up to hard use. The best part of the MiGo is the lid fits snugly and it can be put throug the dishwasher which most others won't take.

18. Chingyul

Chingyul Loaded Pockets

:iagree:
    3rd on the Nissan Backpack Bottle. Had to get it from sweet marias since I could only find the small size bottle up here (Canada).
    Great thermos though. Make sure you don't overfill it and it never leaks.

19. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

OK, here's the real kicker for getting a Thermos Nissan Backpack Bottle. Today I made some hot chocolate to take with me to work, both for the ride and for break time. At about 8:00 a.m. I filled it with hot water to preheat it before I filled it. The hot chocolate was, well, pretty darned hot when I filled it. Took it with me, put it in my locker, and had some on a break at about 4:00 p.m. It was still hot enough about 8 hours later. Neat!

However, as they say in some commercials, "But wait, there's more..."

I left work, put the bottle in the cupholder (it fits most), and drove home. About 9:00 p.m. I realized that I'd forgotten it when I had brought in the groceries. The bottle was still in the car. Even after several hours in the car, the bottle still had some heat after more than 13 hours after I filled it. BTW, the outside temp was 32 degrees F. or slightly less for most of the evening. I would have been impressed that the liquid did not just freeze, but the fact that it still had any heat in it whatsoever was astounding. Definitely not hot enough to drink but still at least "warm-ish" after all that time and in that temperature.

Remember that this is a bottle that holds about 16 ounces. Thermal mass really doesn't have a lot to do with it so it all comes down to the insulating quality of the bottle. All I can say is, "Wow!"

Gnarly likes this.
  20. mivok

mivok Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have any experience with the Nissan http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan-Stainless-Steel-Insulated-Briefcase/dp/B00009V4FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1196442871&sr=8-1"]briefcase bottle[/url]? Does it work as well as the backpack version? I'm not too bothered about having a button to press to open the lid, as long as it is still pretty leakproof. I like the all silver a bit better too. On the thermos site I think it's just listed as 'Compact beverage bottle', not sure why amazon bills it as a briefcase bottle.