1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Coffee - a minor rant and a question.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Blackheart, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I guess they're not THAT bad (the Lyons). The first listing I looked at on Amazon made no sense to me. I found another, more reasonable, Amazon listing that has a pack of 18 for 12 USD (around 9.5GBP). That's over twice what the Maxwell House bags went for (when you could get them), buy hey, maybe it's REALLY good coffee.

<edit> I may just try these Lyons bags. They're expensive, but the packet form factor works well for the vehicle and my grab-and-go bag. Keeping in mind that these would only be used in unusual circumstances. I wouldn't be using them on any regular basis. Next year, when it's time to replace everything, I'll have to re-evaluate my choices.

In the mean time, I may keep an eye out for an inexpensive, possibly used (man, I'm cheap), AeroPress as a backup* means of coffee brewing for the kitchen.

* - There was one morning where I broke the carafe for my drip coffee maker BEFORE I got my first cup of coffee out of it. THAT was a BAD day.

Last edited by Blackheart, Jun 10, 2019
    #41 Blackheart, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

No question that they are not up to good drip or press made coffee, but they're not selling based on that. Their target group is people who need a quick single cup of coffee, so from that standpoint, it's hardly a gimmick...it's just different horses for different courses. People who have them generally prefer the convenience & speed they provide. As you pointed out, they're not for people who are coffee connoisseurs or simply bulk consumers. For my part, I'm not concerned about the cost of coffee--it's more about getting the best tasting brew--most of the time. Sometimes it's about being able to have a cup of tolerable coffee & run--that's why Keurig is so popular. It's actually faster than any other method and better than instant (which is so bad that I only use it if backpacking). Incidentally, some of the "coffee bags" have or used to have instant in them to "supplement" the ground coffee. In the final analysis, it's up to the individual to use what's best for their preference and needs.

Moshe ben David and smokingfish like this.
  3. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Just wanted to say "Thanks to all!" for your insights and suggestions. :smile_coffee:

4. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I love my kuerig!

I have one almost every morning but could go without coffee no problem.

If I'm camping, or outdoors, i have no problem with the instant packets that have everything in it, plus you can pour the content with a pinch if you dislike cream or sugar.

If you drink quarts of coffee per day, why not fill those 40+ ounce insulated mugs, they keep liquid hot for 48 hours or more.

5. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I bring a 36 oz. Yeti to work. My coffee is still warm at 2:00.

6. Craigsr

Craigsr Empty Pockets

7. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I'll drink almost anything but Starbucks Via is definitely the best I've tried. I don't even like SB that much, but for instant coffee it is pretty good.