1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Coffee - a minor rant and a question.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Blackheart, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

As a Keurig user, you probably don't want to go there.

A 24.2 oz. can (686g) of coffee cost me around $5 (I look for sales). A bag of 100 paper filters is around $2. Tap water is 2 or 3 cents a gallon.

There are around 10g of coffee in a K-cup.

From the OP, I was looking for the bags to have on hand for unusual circumstances. They're not what I use daily.

Yeah, 19 bags/box is a weird number, but so is 24.2 or 686.

If you like the convenience of the K-cup, apparently you're not alone.

2. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Something you can do is if you have a instapot. You can fill it with water, add around 1.5 cups of your favourite medium grids coffee. Let your instapot come up to pressure and let it sit u set pressure for 5 minutes. Let it selfie release and once cool strain it with coffee filters. Place concentrated coffee in fridge.

Great for cold coffees, ice coffee, or reheat if you want a emergency hot coffee

Blackheart likes this.
  3. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I have heard/seen both. I know a few people personally with who uses k-cups and drink bottled water; yet post things about needing to do things about climate change and complaining about not making enough money to comfortably live. I also know someone who uses k-cups yet complains about how even with welfare and food stamps can’t pay the bills. They may not be prevalent, but they are out there.

surefire7 likes this.
  4. Craigsr

Craigsr Empty Pockets

I've been using Aeropress for about a dozen years.
    https://aeropress.com/why-aeropress/#demo

Use your own coffee and brew as strong as you like.
    It makes a concentrated shot, so you can drink espresso or add water to taste.

16VGTIDave, maillet282 and Blackheart like this.
  5. Blackheart

Interesting. I may look into one of these for a backup coffee brewing method for the kitchen.

Might be a bit too fussy for the vehicle. The beauty of the coffee bags (as well as the other foods/ hot beverages I mentioned in the OP) is that they could all be made in, and consumed from, the JetBoil with nothing else to clean, except for a spoon.

EZDog likes this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is the best reason for the K-Cup Press that I have as well!
    I use it on jobsites if I need an extra boost some days and when camping if I am just doing an overnight run and not setting up a real camp or just for the heck of it as I do not find the K-Cup to be as bad as many here seem too.
    Plus it is sort of fun too.

Craigsr and Blackheart like this.
  7. Craigsr

Craigsr Empty Pockets

I agree with the ease and convenience of the coffee bags. I was an early user of the Folgers coffee bags, until I became pickier on my coffee brands. I also used the Starbucks VIAs until cost became a factor.

As a side note.
    When I first bought a Folgers bag home to show my parents, my Dad grabbed it from my hand and started analyzing the design. Turns out he was part of a group trying to make the same product for Standard Brands back in the late 50's(~).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Blackheart like this.
  8. Blackheart

You're right, the K-Cup Press (when used with the basket) and the AeroPress are very similar. I would not want to have K-Cups sitting around on the off chance they *might* get used in a pinch. I kinda' like that the AP uses a paper filter. I tried the JetBoil french press once, it was kinda' gritty (which I can get past if I'm desperate enough).

Yeah, the coffee bags needed to be disposed of if not used in a year, but there was less non-organic material to dispose of (really just the metalized plastic packet).

#28 Blackheart, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  9. Blackheart

I might have to try these as well to see if they're any better than the other "instant" coffees that I've, uh... "experienced" (blech). Could be an option for the vehicle and grab-and-go bag.

10. Blackheart

Oh, and I did look for the Folger's bags (not my first choice in coffee, but...). Couldn't find those, either.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Via are just OK to me but then I feel that way about Starbucks in general too.
    The Via just taste like every other instant to me really.

Blackheart likes this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

And actually though I have happily used and tried different K-Cups for a long time this is what I drink in the morning on most days.

We like what we like!

[​IMG]

Blackheart likes this.
  13. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I'm a coffee snob - most coffee sold / brewed is bitter dishwater. I grind my beans - ONLY Illy Medium Roast - and use my Jura Micro 9 to make superb espressos (not there's no X in espresso), latte's etc. The whole "I prefer convenience and don't care about landfill" doesn't just apply to coffee. We're slowly killing the planet and making things uninhabitable for the next three generations.

14. Blackheart

What happens after the next three?

A dolphin said to me the other day "So long and thanks for all the fish.".

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/health/climate-change-existential-threat-report-intl/index.html

:)

Inner Prop and Moshe ben David like this.
  15. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

I use and carry an aero press in my rucksack when I go out of field ex. Nothing like a hot cup of coffee when everybody else is drinking coloured water from the chow tent or the instant packets in the ration packs

16VGTIDave, Blackheart and Craigsr like this.
  16. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Can you not buy Lyons coffee bags from eBay or amazon? For a nation of tea drinkers they seem fairly easy to get in th UK.

While I’m at it, would one of these work https://www.lakeland.co.uk/45908/Barista-and-Co-Brew-It-Stick-Coffee-Infuser?gclid=CKb77t243-ICFWwq0wodmOUIiQ&src=gfeed&efid=CKb77t243-ICFWwq0wodmOUIiQ:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!251275988355!!!g!297186238295!&ev_chn=shop&ef_id=CKb77t243-ICFWwq0wodmOUIiQ:G:s

Last edited by Tallboyjim, Jun 10, 2019
    #36 Tallboyjim, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Craigsr and Blackheart like this.
  17. Blackheart

Looks like you can get them here (you can get almost anything here), but they're *really* expensive.

18. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

For me Kcups are ridiculous. I drink about a quart of coffee daily and would go broke if I used that product. I tried the Kcups when I stayed at a rented house a few summers ago and was not impressed. I much prefer drip coffee over the gimmicky nonsense.

19. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Nah, REALLY expensive is Taylors of Harrogate!

Blackheart likes this.
  20. Blackheart

I dunno'. Could be okay. Reviews on the site were mixed. Seems like they had some quality control problems (reports of the screens coming loose). It's a little pricey for what it is (12GBP is around 15USD) and my one experience with a french press, or should I say cafetière (I had to look it up), was that I think I'd prefer something with a paper filter. Thanks for mentioning that option, though.