1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Coffee - a minor rant and a question.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Blackheart, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

EDC coffee? Okay, not exactly EDC. Yes, I have a Thermos of coffee that I take to work every weekday, but in this case I'm referring to 3oz. single-serve coffee bags (like tea bags) I like to have on hand. I keep a few on hand at home and some more in a food bag in the vehicle.

At home, I keep a few in the freezer for those times when I get up in the morning and find that there's a power outage (there is NO life before coffee). Doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it's such a relief to put the kettle on the gas stove for some hot water, dig out the coffee bags, and have a couple cups of coffee while figuring out what other improvisations I'm going to have to make to get on with the daily routine. (BTW, I find "instant" or "freeze-dried" coffee to be just outright nasty.)

In the vehicle, the food bag has some items (oatmeal, dried soup, hot chocolate, etc.) that, worst case, can be prepared with the aid of my JetBoil just in case I should find myself somewhere I had not expected to be for a day or two.

Anyway, I went to update my supply of consumables and when I looked for "Maxwell House Coffee Singles, 3oz, 19/Box" I discovered that they had been discontinued (thanks, once again, Kraft Foods!). When I checked my local grocery store, there was shelf after shelf of K-cups, which I found disturbing. Those convenient, little plastic cups are neither recyclable nor bio-degradeable. Apparently, millions of those plastic cups are being sold each year and they ain't goin' nowhere for next thousand years or so, and we're finding that when plastics do break down, they just become tinier and more pervasive. With the coffee bags, those who compost can just toss them on the pile, not really a problem. The rest of us can toss them out in the trash without a lot guilt.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/03/the-abominable-k-cup-coffee-pod-environment-problem/386501/

Yes, I know there are "re-usable" K-cup baskets for use with your favorite brew, but that's not a lot different from a conventional drip coffee maker and personally I prefer to brew up a whole pot (though I know others prefer smaller portions). Still have the problem of what to do when there is no power.

So what's your take on the K-cup phenomenon?

Inner Prop and surefire7 like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just Sayin'

All I need is Hot Water and I will worry about the environmental impact after I have some Coffee in my system!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I have a pour-over setup as backup, as well as a French press. I agree instant is way past nasty. Our house is all-electric and we are lucky to live in a town that actually has its own municipally generated electric plant, so I can't remember the last time we had an outage. I have a propane cook stove, though, so I'm covered for heating water & beans.

Blackheart and Wishoot like this.
  4. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Starbucks Via or a Pour-over in the unlikely event the power goes out. In addition to a gas stove in the kitchen, I have several camping stoves and worst case, I have an Esbit stove.

Have yet to enjoy a cup of coffee made by a Keurig. K-cup coffee is just downright nasty IMO.

ran23 and Blackheart like this.
  5. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

We lost power for a day last fall and my wife and I used a jet boil to heat up water and a aero press to make our coffee. Then turned around and used the jet book to heat up some alphaghetties for the kids for lunch

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

K-Cup Coffee is a still a lot better than No Coffee!

7. Blackheart

Now that is actually cool since it includes the re-usable K-cup basket.

Yeah, I've got a french press lying around the house here somewhere. Guess I should dig it out and keep it handy in the kitchen for power outages. For the vehicle, I'd still prefer the coffee bags. Less fuss, less bulk, and one less thing to clean.

Forgot to mention that I do keep a couple of those coffee bags in the grab-and-go bag I keep in the truck. I will not be denied my coffee, and you can get hot water from many, if not most, water coolers.

8. Blackheart

Oh wait, I just remembered that what I have is the french press accessory for the JetBoil. I'd be interested in suggestions for a "pour-over" coffee maker for the kitchen.

I still have to see if I can find the JetBoil accessory and start carrying it, along with some ground coffee, in the truck. As I recall, it stores inside the JetBoil, so it doesn't take up any additional space.

I do have a propane stove, just in case, but I hope I never actually need to use it. It would have to be a real emergency to lose both electric and gas. I just like being prepared.

9. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I can understand your frustration.

The love for k-cups is really baffling to me. Especially when its use is by people claiming to care about the environment or be “poor”.

As far as for emergency cup of coffee there are multiple french press or pour over style options that do not take a lot of room. I daily use a presse by bobble that can double as a stainless steel travel cup. I also have a primula single serve in an emergency bag. It isn’t the greatest cup of coffee but it takes up very little room and gives me the ability to make real coffee.

Blackheart likes this.
  10. ambrdrgn

ambrdrgn Empty Pockets

You could probably pack your own single-serve coffee bags with paper tea filters. I use them when I'm traveling and they work great for my loose leaf tea. They come with or without drawstrings, in different sizes, and in bleached or unbleached paper. I like Finum extra slim cup/mug filters best but they don't have drawstrings if that's a concern for you.

Inner Prop, surefire7 and Blackheart like this.
  11. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Huh?

Last edited by McNasty, Jun 9, 2019
    #11 McNasty, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Not a high end coffee person, but the last time we lost power, Jetboil and coffee tea bags.

Blackheart likes this.
  13. Blackheart

Those are filter packs for making a whole pot in a percolator, not the (tea-like) bags for a single cup or two.

Trust me, the "Singles" bags are discontinued and the townspeople are restless.

[​IMG]

That's another pet peeve. Companies the size of Maxwell House (a div. of Kraft) probably have a small army of people devoted to advertising and promotions, yet they can't seem to charge one person with replying to posts on their website or social media in general. There were a half-dozen people asking if the product was discontinued on their website, and their response was... [crickets].

"Follow us on Twitter" - No. How about YOU follow US for a change. :tongue:

Last edited by Blackheart, Jun 9, 2019
    #14 Blackheart, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  14. Blackheart

Huh. I didn't know such a thing existed (which is why I hang out here, I guess).

15. Blackheart

That's what I'm sayin'... :)

ran23 likes this.
  16. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

If you say so..

17. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I'll break it down for you: K-cups are quicker than even instant coffee when you consider time to heat water. Time & ease of brewing trumps highest quality, plus they are a better one-cup option than drip coffee makers. I don't think very many people using K-cup are tree-huggers (nor am I). If my wife is home we use the drip coffemaker. If she's gone & I only want 1 cup, there are a couple of blends that brew satisfactorily enough in the Keurig. Bottled water is a bigger environmental threat than K-cups. I've never heard anyone who owns a Keurig claim to be poor, though.

18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

19 bags....nice round number....not very cost-effective, though.

19. Blackheart

Don't get me started.

surefire7 likes this.