1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC cash (or non-cash).

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Blackheart, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I always have a couple of hundred bucks on me in one form or another (a few bills in my wallet, more bills in a money clip, a hundred and change stashed elsewhere on me) just for emergencies.

In addition, I did like having 3 debit cards, linked to a checking account with a $1200 balance, in various places (one in the wallet, one stashed with the vehicle, another one on me). I figured that with $1200 I could get home from pretty much anywhere in North America, maybe not the fastest or most comfortably, but that amount could get me home. Also, if one of the cards got lost and compromised, the loss of $1200 would hurt, but wouldn't be devastating to me.

Problem is few banks want to issue multiple debit cards to a single checking account (they say it's a security risk). The bank I was using would issue me one card free and I'd have to pay an annual fee for the other two. The free card was re-issued automatically when it lapsed, the others I'd have to keep track of and call the bank when they expired to get new ones. Right now, the two extra cards have expired and I've yet to get new ones.

So. What do you guys do about having emergency funds available? Is the debit card still the most reasonable thing? I know nothing replaces cold, hard cash, but carrying around over a thousand bucks in cash probably isn't a good idea. The one advantage of the debit card over a credit card is that if someone lifts it, they're at least going to have to figure out the PIN.

Thoughts?

2. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

I have a similar philosophy. USAA bank does not have the restrictions you mention, and they will raise your daily ATM limit temporarily with a brief phone call, 24 hours a day. Also carry both spending cash and backup cash, in different locations on person. I also carry a few blank checks folded in with the backup cash. A credit card of course is universal these days, and they are great to have, if you have the discipline.

Keep enough cash with your vehicle to fill up the tank once, placed somewhere you won't spend it on fast food. Also a roll of quarters in the vehicle for quarter machines (parking, tolls, vending, etc)

3. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Interesting. I look into it. Thanks!

I hadn't thought about having some blank checks. Could come in handy for paying someone that can't take a card of one type or another.

Stashed on (not in) the vehicle is:
    - $50 in small bills
    - spare vehicle key
    - spare house key
    - afore mentioned debit card
    - a printed, laminated card with various phone numbers, bank account numbers, etc.

4. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I never travel anywhere without enough cash to get me back where I started/home.

My bank does issue 2 debit cards on the same account, so one stays back at home as a spare.

boyo17 likes this.
  5. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

I always travel with my wife and child so if I'm really stranded I can sell them to someone and get myself home.

xnyne, Sachmo, Fucifino and 7 others like this.
  6. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

A basically sound plan, but I've found that the selling price of the wife and kids varies widely based on the local.

thwippa, Mighty Max and Ludwell01 like this.
  7. JIM
    • +3 Supporter

JIM Loaded Pockets

I usually carry about €20-40,- in my wallet, together with my 2 bank cards. In my EDC backpack I have €150,-emergency cash in a hidden pocket.

My BOB/house on fire bag has €1000,- cash and a credit card I got once for a holiday in the US. Never used a credit card, but with only a small annual fee I can keep it activated. I reckon it would be usefull for renting a motel room for a couple of days.

Ludwell01 likes this.
  8. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

For urban EDC or GHB purposes, cash saves your life in a mugging, buy/ bribe the last seat on the train/ bus/ plane/ taxi to get you out of Dodge, get a hotel room (when it's full up), to pay for dinner when you belatedly realize they don't take credit cards or there's a fritz with your card, to buy supplies in a blackout when credit cards are useless, etc., etc. Remember Bob Dylan's words, " Cash doesn't talk. It swears."

Ludwell01 likes this.
  9. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

Cash is King. I have found no place a card would work that cash would not work better. I use CC for everyday and would continue in S H T F until it stopped working. Then cash would be up. I carry a few thousand in cash in several packets spread out in my everyday wear and twelve 1/4 oz gold coins well secured. With my other EDC I will get home in style.

In a mugging I find keeping calm and grouping your shots a better solution than relying on the kindness of strangers. Never give up the high ground. While your MPG may vary this plan has been tested under fire and works for me.

http://thefrugalhamstercyclist.blogspot.com/

10. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

I have no argument with you anti-mugging preps. I wish the option were available to me. Alas, it's not. One cold winter night, many years ago, my cousin and I were walking out of Alphabet City, having spent a pleasant evening at McSorley's Old Ale House. While not completely sober, I was not so trashed that I failed to notice the two guys walking in the opposite direction split up to flank us, while reaching into their pockets. I instinctively went into a crouch , running at "my" mugger and hitting him at gut level and forcing his elbows up, to get the now drawn knife up in the air. It worked. But I did fail to notice it was a duckbill , in-facing linoleum knife scrapping past my face. Luckily , the wide leather sheepskin collar of my bomber jacket took the tip, instead of my face. My action worked, I got free of my mugger and ran away. About 30 feet later, I realize that my cous is not running with me. I stopped, looked back, saw they had him. I called to them that I'd give them my cash, if they let him go. I waived my few dollars in a folded wad. They let him go and I tossed them the cash. Frankly, I think they were surprised that someone would actually fight back! No less, skinny/small/ longhaired/ hippyish college student that I was. We headed to the precinct house. But, I still had enough to pay the transit fare home.

11. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

Don't know if the US has them but here in Australia you can buy pay-as-you-go credit cards that aren't linked to any bank account and only have the cash available on them that you put on them. I have found this to be a good emergency option. Also I carry $50 in a delrin locker on my keyring. Also always have coins in a Tom Bihn small wallet.

12. saulgood

saulgood Empty Pockets

Here is one of my stash tricks. Sorry iGuys.
    [​IMG]

Gladibrus, grids7 and Take2 like this.
  13. TV09

TV09 Loaded Pockets

Definitely a good idea. I do something similar between my phone case and phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

grids7 likes this.
  14. don Roberto

don Roberto Loaded Pockets

Don't you figure the lowlife is going to want your phone, too?

sungame and grids7 like this.
  15. don Roberto

don Roberto Loaded Pockets

Good idea. Fortunately, most of the time I'm within ten miles from home, so I can walk it if necessary.

For those rare times when I do travel afar, it's almost always with wife and daughter, and I'm just not comfortable carrying airfare for 3 on my person (even if I owned that much money, which I generally don't).

I'm amazed at the amount of $ some of y'all carry. Some of you carry more money in cash than I own.

That said, I am thinking seriously about getting a dummy wallet with expired cards and a twenty folded around some scraps of newspaper, in case I get mugged. Throw it in one direction, run in the other direction.

16. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I realise that there is more than a few coins in my pocket i give it to SWMBO who says "thank you,,,,,,,,, I never carry much cash and rely mostly on a credit card which gets paid off every month,,,,,,, there are enough notes in the car ash-tray for half a tank of petrol and a handful of change for parking.

A few years ago I bought something over the phone giving my debit card details,, some days later some guy in the USA bought some Subaru parts on my card to the value of £1200 and used my card details to place some gambling bets to the value of £500. He must have thought he could return the Subaru parts and get a cash refund because they were returned to the vendor,,,,but instead of cash,,,, a credit was made to my account instead.

Altogether I was £500 out of pocket so I hot-tailed it to my bank and told them the tale. Then some boss-eyed bank employee in the fraud department made a mistake for which I am very grateful,,,,,,,,,,,,, he refunded to my account the £1200 originally taken and the £500 ,,, and,,,,,,, and then refunded the £1200 that had already been returned by the Subaru vendor :rolleyes: That left me £1200 up, so I kept my head down for a while,,,, and then the Bank went bankrupt (surprise) :)

Anyway I was just thinking,,,,,,,,, if the guy responsible is reading this and wants to do it again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

don Roberto likes this.
  17. TV09

TV09 Loaded Pockets

Its more for if I forget/lose my wallet than getting mugged. Thats a whole different beast in itself imo

sungame and Ludwell01 like this.
  18. scooterbird

scooterbird Loaded Pockets

In the U.S., they have reloadable prepaid debit cards with MC/VISA branding from Green Dot. https://www.greendot.com/greendot

19. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

i tend to carry some paper money in the back of my phone, too!:cool:
    but talking about carrying money: I hate the strange decision the EU made, when they decided to flood us with coins!:censored:
    i want my old currency back!:( and the value it had;)

Ludwell01 and Sao like this.
  20. grids7

grids7 Loaded Pockets

I like the phone idea for when emergency is through my own, let's say, loss of marbles. But thanks don Roberto for thinking ahead about robbery, it's going to be gone, too. I think I'll carry a $20 folded inside something that looks like a ratty grocery shopping list.